Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 05:24:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jnr Flightstreak wingspan  (Read 995 times)
Dadda
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

South Africa South Africa

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »

Hi All
Could someone please tell me what the wingspan for a junior flightstreak should be?
I would really appreciate it so as to know how far to scale a full size plan down to.
Thank you.
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:19:13 AM »

Gday Dadda,

According to the Brodak site, a junior is 31" span, for 15 to 25 engines.

My 15 size is now up to 44" span, and is still a bit fast.

What motor are you going to use?

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Dadda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »

Hi Greg
Thanks for the info. I am going to use an old Veco 19.
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:32:48 AM »

Dadda,

I'd go to 36" at least. It won't be such a rocket then.

Dadda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:05:14 AM »

Sounds like a plan to me. and the Veco should handle it ok?
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »

Dadda,

I'm a big fan of big wings. They seem to fly better - reduced wing loading & all that technical stuff.

As I said before, my current 15's are out to 44" span and handle it well. I guess your Veco 19 has something like the power of a modern 10 - 12 and 36" should work pretty well.

The only downside of lightly loaded models is they can be a bit "floaty" in windy weather.

Greg

Dadda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »

Hi Greg
Thanks a mill for your advise. I managed to scale the plan down to just under 36 inches and i think it will be perfect. Must be honest though, the thought of building the 31inch rocket version is appealing too Grin. But i think i shall save that for a later project.
eddie_nc
Copper Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:54:30 PM »

According to the Brodak site, a junior is 31" span, for 15 to 25 engines.
Greg

Hi Greg:
The original TopFlite Jr. FliteStreak recommended engines were the same, .15 to .25 but that was for "Non-schneurle" ported engines.  They were a lot less powerful.  A McCoy .35 back then was a mid range engine and produced less power than a modern schneurle .25.

I built and flew lots of FliteStreaks.  Actually my first successful CL flight was with one.  I did have one Jr. FliteStreak which I powered with an old Fox .15 and found it to be quite docile.  It did most aerobatics as well as the larger versions except for overhead maneuvers. Mine tended to fall out if I let the speed drop a little. We were using 60' lines.

My personal favorite was the Combat Streak which had the built up fuselage rather than a profile.  It flew just like the others, I just liked the looks of it better.

Eddie Warren
Hickory, NC
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 08:00:33 PM »

A scaled-down Flight Streak isn't really a Jr. Flight Streak -- but you knew that.

I've never flown a Veco 19, but they have a reputation for being a pretty strong engine in spite of being baffle-piston.  Your 36" span Flight Streak should do well.

If you really want it for stunt, and not just dinking around, stretch the tail by about two inches and the nose by one (more if you're building it closer to the real Flight Streak size).  It'll still turn plenty good enough for stunt, without going all over the place when it's supposed to be flying level.
Wakeup
Nickel Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 07:14:51 PM »

I have a Junior Flitestreak with a PAW09 in it.  On 50' lines it is fantastic to fly!!
cheers
Bill
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 10:49:17 AM »

A full sized Flight Streak will fly just fine on an OS 20FP (modern Schnuerle-ported, just a hair less powerful than a Fox 35).

I've never owned one, but a Veco 19 is reputed to be almost as powerful as a 20FP.  And I had a very pleasant, if short, flight on a rebuilt Flight Streak running on an Enya 19, which is not reputed to be as powerful as an OS 20FP.  The flight was cut short by a mistake in rebuilding (it's now a rebuildable Flight Streak again), but while it was flying, it seemed to be doing pretty good.

So -- if you've willing to experiment, you may want to take those full sized Flight Streak plans, scale them down not at all, and concentrate on building light.  You may be happy.  OTOH, it may be underpowered, in which case you can start looking for a nice 20FP or 25LA to put on it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: