Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 10:21:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Louis Garami's 1939 Colibri  (Read 478 times)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2014, 07:57:54 PM »

I'm well into the build phase of Garami's 1939 Colibri. 40 inch Wing. I'm powering it with electric, using a e-flight Park Outrunner 340, which I think will provide ample power. I am also using one of Dan's e-timers.

About the only thing I have left is to build the wing and cover the airframe. I'll be covering it with UltraCote ParkLite.

Attached are a couple pictures. If you want to see the plan, you can go to Google/Images and type in Garami Colibri

The question I have is: How would you fly this airplane? R/R? R/L? L/L? L/R?

And, given that, how do you control the glide turn? Normally I would use stab tilt, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go with this airplane.

Thanks

Rich
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Louis Garami's 1939 Colibri
Louis Garami's 1939 Colibri

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:41:56 PM »

My take on it is that it's not unlike a sport cabin model, and they go okay LL.
You would need right thrust with left rudder with perhaps a little tail tilt to power and glide it left.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:17:47 AM »

99% complete. Just have to rig the DT. Hope to fly it this weekend.

I wasn't sure about Blue/White (It's what I had left over from previous airplanes) but I like the combination now...

A few pictures:
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Louis Garami's 1939 Colibri

Starduster
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »

The Colibri flys!

After a few test flights, I've got the Colibri flying pretty darn well.

It took a heck of a lot of right and down thrust, but it now flys right-left.

I flew it quite a few times this past weekend at Wawayanda, NY just for fun. I put it into some good lift on several flights and got some serious air. Good thing I had the DT set. It as the most effective DT I've ever seen, though.. when the tail 'pops' the airplane is coming down like an express elevator.

The airplane also has a very fast glide.

One funny thing, though...

A couple weeks ago, I was test flying the airplane, and had made a incorrect thrust adjustment, and the airplane spiraled in under power. Broke the wing outside if the dihedral brace. I took it home and fixed the wing. I had also broken the prop.

So this past weekend, I put the airplane together, put a new prop on and went out to the field for the first test flight after the crash.

I set the throttle for 75% power and 5 second motor run, 90 second DT (Thanks, Dan!)

I start the timer, and the prop is turning the wrong way (well, at least the thrust was going the wrong way...) OK, no problem, the wiring is out in the open, so I just switch two of the leads, and it's ready to test fly. (I am thinking to myself, though: "Hmm... I wonder why the motor has changed direction? Oh, well, just work with it..")

Lo and behold, the airplane just does a beautiful right climbing turn, the motor cuts out after 5 seconds, and the airplane just goes into a nice, if fast, left glide.

OK, so I reset Dans timer for 100% power, 5 seconds, 90 second DT. I launch it again and yup, the power looks real good. Glide is great, so I set the timer for 10 seconds and 120% power. next flight looks great, no other adjustments needed.

So, it is a spectacular day at Wawayanda, and very little drift, so I set the timer for 20 seconds. As I'm getting ready to launch the airplane again, I suddenly notice: "Wha??? The prop is turning the "wrong" way! (You guys on the other side of the pond would say that it was actually turning the "correct way")

For some reason (I don't know why, as I don't have any pushers in my fleet) I had replaced the prop with a pusher prop!

But, the airplane flys so much better with the motor turning this way, so I am not changing it now! I've got to go the hobby shop and get one or two more pusher props for this airplane, just in case.

I had a blast flying it a few more times. It thermals quite a bit better than I would have thought. And, a 20 second motor run gets it way up there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: