Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 20, 2019, 01:26:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevens Aero Granger Archaeopteryx  (Read 4324 times)
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »

Once again i'm unsure of where to put this thread so i'll put it up here in Electrics.  I got for my Birthday a Stevens Aero Granger Archaeopteryx.  It's a semi tailless parasol home built that was made in Englad in the 30's.  The original is still flying over at the Shuttleworth collection. 
 The kit is "sport" scale as there are several changes made for sanity reasons.  Anyway, the prototype in England is currently covering in green and Silver so that's what i'm going to mimic.  I'll put some scale details on the plane and add a nice pilot, But I won't deviate from the plans to much. 

If you've never built a Stevens aero kit you should look them up.  Typical of Stevens the wood selection is top notch and the laser cutting is fantastic.  Lately his kits build like lego kits where there are no 2d plans just a serries of build pics.  It's an ok way to build but i still prefer plans to build off at the very least they give a good idea of how big the model will be. 

Here is a link to the kit's web page.

https://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-1930-Granger-Archaeopteryx-Laser-Cut-Scale-Parkflyer-Kit.html

I started this kit last Friday.  It's been about 4-5 hours building so far.  I probably have about 2-3 more hours work on the fuse. 

I don't have any of the equipment listed for the kit.  My dad says he has a small Hacker Out runner i can put on the nose and i'll pick up the recomended HS 35s because they will fit in the mounts  that are already in the kit. 

enjoy the pics, i'll post as I can.

Hank

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Stevens Aero Granger Archaeopteryx
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

The original is still flying over at the Shuttleworth collection. 

It's currently in bits being totally restored by Richard granger. I think he is working on the wing now
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »

Does the kit include the hatch magnets?

I've been having good luck with this large ultra micro rotary output servos. Much better that the linear type servo.*
I don't have any Hitec HD 35. But I do have the Eflite branded DS35 digital and Spektum A2010 servos. Both brands work well.
Do make note of the "JST" connector, some have the ultra small JST-ZHR other have the slightly bigger JST-SHR. This might be a factor depending on the Rx you are planning to use.

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-35hd_servo.html#.U2vZxsb6lBU
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/a2010-ultra-micro-servo-SPMSA2010
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/EFLRDS35

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »

I have seen some pictures on the web of the restoration.  I like the new two tone green scheme.  I'll do a modified version of that one when i cover it. 

Konrad,

I have those Eflight servos.  The model will take hs 55's too but the 35 looks like an ok servo.  It doesn't have the jst plugs it has the "jr" type standard on most servos. 

It does come with the magnets. 

Hank
Ex Member

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »

The original is still flying over at the Shuttleworth collection. 

It's currently in bits being totally restored by Richard granger. I think he is working on the wing now

Yes I think he is.  We get regular updates at our club meets, he has been through the mill trying to get everything signed off as airworthy.  The wing is something to behold, lots of 80 year old glue holding it all together!

From our club site, scroll down to the bottom.....

http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/nmacgall.htm
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »

Andrew,

Thanks for the link.  Looks like you have a nice club of builders.  I'm the only builder at my field who participates in the club so there's that. 

I like the look of the nose.  In my crude research it seems that in the 70's restoration it was fitted with a blunt nose made from fiberglass.  That is what the kit mimics.  I'm going to go home and see if i can put a nose like that on the kit.  Will probably take some work, but if i don't think it's doable i'll just scrap the idea. 

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:26:28 AM »

Well, I did look at the fuse last night and It seems it would be doable to put the more tapered nose on the model but i think i'll pass.  It'll require removing the current fire wall and sanding the hell out of the ply crutch.  Which is kinda a shame since i have the perfect spinner for that project.  Maybe i should get my hand on the motor i'll use and see what i can do. 

Hank
Ex Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »

Hi Hank,

I can ask Richardif it is ok for me to take some pictures if that helps you at all.....

Andrew

Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »

Andrew,

Yeah i'll take any pics i can get. 
thank you,

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »

Well I got quite a bit of work done this weekend.  I got the hatches made.  I'm now committed to the blunt nose.  Which is fine it's simplier that way.  I like the fit of the hatches and the do stick well.  That pretty much finished up the fuse so I moved on to the wing.  I started the wing on Saturday and I forgot to sand the burned edges off before glueing.  It's ok it'll just mean more sanding later.  The wing does not build over a set of plans which i kinda found annoying.  I like looking at the finished product as i build so i can plan for problems.  I glued the rear strut anchors in backwards because I had the opposite reference from the build pictures.  It wasn't a big deal and i fixed it really easy.  Just annoying and would have been avoided if i had to put the part down over the plans to build.  For the majority of the ribs i remebered to sand them a bit before assembly.  I also put the braces in the leading edge.  This will be a pretty big model.  You can see the difference between the wing and the fuse in some of the pictures. 

enjoy the pics

Hank
Re: Stevens Aero Granger Archaeopteryx
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »

Well i've gotten more work done lately.  I got the center sectioin of the wing roughed in.  I need to finish sand and shape the leading edge but the building of the wing is done.  It's nice and stiff and pretty straight.  It could be built lighter but this will not warp so easy when covering which is a plus for me. 

Also this past weekend was the RCexpo here in orange county so I entered two of my models in the battle of the builders.  I took first and second place in "stick and tissue".  My prize was 50 dollars so that's enough to get the servos for this plane plus the motor.  I picked the motor at the show as one vendor was selling them for a bit cheaper than stevens.  It's a small motor but i only need 55 watts to fly this thing.  I was going to use a Hacker motor but it interfered with the floor of the engine compartment.  I could make it fit but it's easier to use the motor the plane was designed for. 

I hope to get the wingtips built soon.  Stay tuned. 

Hank
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »

Congratulations! Now I have to ask. If you entered 3 models would you have gotten 3rd place? It really is sad to see how few builders there are.
As you know that little P6 is what inspired me to do my P6-e.

All the best,
Konrad

Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »

Konrad,

I don't know if i'd won third or not.  3rd place went to a very nicely built Guillows Beaver that was static only but had a very nice tissue job on it anyway.  That builder also entered a nice Goldberg Super Chipmunk.  There are builders out there.  but yes they are fewer and fewer every year.  This event was put on by the Scale Squadron of so.cal. I think i'm gonna join, it's mostly big gas stuff but they do have nice building clinics and advice on detailing. 

Hank
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »

Good to learn that you had some competition! I feared you had won by default. Shocked

Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »

Last night i got the elevons built and I started rough shaping the wing leading edges.  I'm having a bad allergy season so i only did the shaping with a block plane.  Over the weekend i'll get my respirator out and do all the shaping and sanding on the wing.  The tiperons look cool and don't have to much slop.  I must say that this is an interesting model in that it has a 40" ws but doesn't feel like it since it's all wing.  A regular 40" ws model would feel 3-4 times bigger.  I also hope to get the servos over the weekend and keep moving on the project.  The instructions say to cover the bottom of the wing now but i'm going to wait and finish all the framing so i can have that cool "bare bones" shot. 

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:54:06 AM »

Last weekend I was hoping to get some more work done on the Archaeopteryx but all i managed to do was pick up the servos i needed.  I had to call every hobby shop with in 30 miles and ended up going to the one I said i'd never go to again because they never had what i wanted.  The HS-35 is a small servo.  I have not had a chance to run it yet, i'll do that soon, but as you can see from the pictures it does fit very nicely in the pocket in the wing.  I did try to put in some of my other servos first and the amount of work needed to make them fit was not worth it. 

Enjoy the pics,

Hank
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »

Yep, those pockets look like they do exclude most other servos.

I have to admit that the Archaeopteryx on Stevens's site never exited me. But that wing structure you show is looking very nice. The model might be worth it just for the build. I'm a bit surprised that Stevens didn't supply little triangle filers for the rib to spar joint.

Looking good.

Konrad

Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 12:56:07 AM »

Konrad,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I was attracted to this model because it's odd.  Bill took a chance to bring this to market, i doubt he'll sell to many of them, even if the flying habits are tame people generally shy away from the unconventional.  The build has been enjoyable, would have been more so if the fuse wasn't just sheet wood and had structure like the old kits. 

I have decided on a paint scheme.  I'm going to cover the fuse in yellow and the wing in silver.  The registration from Steven's is black so i'm going to paint all the struts and landing gear parts black.  I noticed that the prototype always has the struts painted the color of the registration.  I think the 3 tones will work nicely with each other. 

I have dry assembled the struts and I'll work on the landing gear assemblies next so i can get my bare bones shot and then move on to covering and trim.  Sunday is Father's day and I plan on spending quite a bit of time in the garage working on this model.  More updates when I have them. 

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »

Last night i got the cylinders built and I started working on the landing gear.  Here is a quick pick of the cylinders.  I plan on adding valve covers, push rods, and exhausts.  Also i was looking at a 3 view the other day, i noticed a hole in the cowl for what i assume is the air intake. I think i'll add that to the battery hatch to cool the battery a bit and then i can close up the front a bit so i don't have to look at a strange gold out runner. 

enjoy the pic,

Hank
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

I have decided on a paint scheme.  I'm going to cover the fuse in yellow and the wing in silver. 

Hank

The Archaeopteryx was originally and is now green, I believe. It was blue while with Shuttleworth, to Richard's chagrin.
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

Billdennis747,

I know it was blue and is green now.  I like the green scheme very much.  The kit maker for this model sells a vinyl decal set for the registration numbers.  The number are black.  Since I don't have the skill to paint the scale scheme in either blue or green i'm going with my own using the black registration as the base and the back that I like yellow.  Both the blue and green schemes had a very nice detail in that the struts, cabains, and landing gear fairings are painted the same darker color of the registration.  So i am copying that but making them black instead to match the registration that i have. 

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 10:48:47 AM »

Does anybody know why hippocket aeronautics only allows pictures that are 400kb or less?  I got my bare bones shots but they are to big to post here and preview will only let me compress them down to like 425 kb.  I do have adobe, but it's on a different computer and i'm not that good at using it.  Also seems like to much work just to share a picture of a silly plane. 

oh well,

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »

Well nearly a month of not posting anything and i'm still only the 4th thread down from the top.  Time moves slow over here. 

Anyway, after all my belly aching about re sizing pictures turns out that HPA has a re sizer here that actually works pretty well.  So i re sized a few of the bare bones shots.  I have taken a break from the Archaeopteryx while i fixed some other models.  I'm all done with repairs so now i'm back at it. 

enjoy the pictures.

Hank
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »

Does anybody know why hippocket aeronautics only allows pictures that are 400kb or less?  I got my bare bones shots but they are to big to post here and preview will only let me compress them down to like 425 kb.  I do have adobe, but it's on a different computer and i'm not that good at using it.  Also seems like to much work just to share a picture of a silly plane. 

oh well,

Hank

Hank there is a limit to picture size, because server space, to store all the pictures, costs money. If there was no size restriction people would generally post HUGE pictures becasue they could not be bothered to resize pictures of a silly airplane.
Money is the reason, and peoples laziness.
A 400k picture is pretty big. It takes me ohhh about 4 seconds to resize a photo using 'Paint' it is a basic microsoft program, so to do this is easy:
Right click on the photo, a drop down list appears, scroll down and select OPEN WITH, then select PAINT,  the picture will appear in PAINT on the desktop. Now you have to resize the picture, press CTRL-W, this will open the STRETCH N SKEW box, this is the resizer box I use, the numbers that say 100,  change these two numbers, leaving both the same, I usually go to 20 or 30, put 20 in each box and press return, or clik OK, your picture will be resized. Now you just have to save it, clik  'file' and select 'save as' from the drop down menu, and save the picture where you want too. If you do not rename the picture, it can replace the other photo if saved in the same place ?
 This is one way(there are more ways than just this, but this is super simple I think) that takes less than 5 seconds, 5 mouse cliks and what ten key strokes.
 There are also programs you can get that will automatically resize your picture when you upload them, you might want to investigate these. Just google 'programs to upload resized pictures', there is likely more than one.
 Good luck bud.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »

Graiskye,

If you read my post from yesterday, you will see that i already resized the pictures using HPA's software. 

Good Luck

Hank
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: