Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 26, 2019, 10:24:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stevens Aero Granger Archaeopteryx  (Read 4163 times)
Fleaz
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 07:49:48 PM »

Any progress??
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »

Fleaz

Yes I have finally gotten back to working on the Archaeopteryx.  I have built a small cover where the motor goes.  I did not like the look of the stock one.  It is a big square hole.  It's partly there to allow enough air to go cool the battery and ESC.  However i have seen that the full size model has hole in the cowl to help force air into the carb so i'll use this as a way to cool my battery. 

Next step is to start covering and final assembly.  Unlike some models this one the covering and final assembly is one process.  I've been bouyed by seeing a freinds completed model recently.  He's still on the test flight stage.  His first attempt didn't go as well as he hoped so i'll be trying mine with out the anti tip over skid. 

Onward.

Hank
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Stevens Aero Granger Archaeopteryx
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 37

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »

I like your opening better than the stock example. I'd like to see about 2 mm clearance around the motor (4mm bigger diameter than the motor) for air flow.

How does the air exit look?

I recall you had some cooling issue with a tightly cowled motor in your Super Sportster.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »

Konrad,

There is an exit hole in the floor of the motor compartment.  I'll put one or two in the fire wall now that you mention it.  As for the over all exiting of heat from the fuse.  There is a hole in the lower hatch plus the cockpit is pretty open.  I'll probably add a hole or two to the floor of the cockpit just to be safe.  I may open the cover around the motor a little bit more as well. 

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:19 AM »

Last night i got some more time in the garage.  I postponed covering a bit longer i want to clean up some more first, covering always makes a big mess as it is and I don't want to add to the one i have. 

Anyway, I drilled two holes in the fire wall to give a bit more cooling to the motor.  I also drilled the hole in the battery hatch to push air across the battery and other electronics.  I took my paints to work for a project so i'll have to bring them home to paint the struts which i hope to do tonight.  I did schellac the cockpit interior.  I really like the zinser amber schellac.  It's easy to work with easy to clean up and i think gives a nice color. 

I also opened up my little cover a bit more but i may make a new one because the hole isn't that round and looks kinda funky. 

enjoy the pics

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

Well, i've gotten lots of work done on the archaeopteryx.  The wing is finished.  I installed the tiperon servos and covered the wing.  Everything functions correctly and looks good.  The angle of the tips seems a bit extreme to me.  It's set using the gauge supplied in the kit.  I may have a lesser setting on the Tx when it comes time for the test flight.  I messed up putting the stickers on so i had to order a new set.  Next it's on to covering the fuse. 

Hank

Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »

Looks good. She does look larger than what is now normal for a Steven's kit.

I have to wonder how much of a servo killer she will be. Do you have extra gear trains?

All the best,
Konrad

Fleaz
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:59 PM »

If you back off on the elevon reflex, move the CG back accordingly.  The recommended reflex is needed for the CG indicated in the instructions.

Mark Young
Stevens Aero
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »

Some pictures for you (better late than never, my fault!) from Richard Granger

Richard tells me that if you have any specific queries then you can contact him.  PM me if you want his details....

Andrew

Klunk
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 02:50:18 AM »

Some more.....

Klunk
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »

Konrad,

I don't have any more gear trains.  I'll look into getting some.  I'm probably more likely to damage a servo moving it in and out of the car. 

Mark,

Did you guys find the center of lift for this model?  I'm wondering how far back one can move the CG?  If you look at one of the flying pictures Andrew posted, of the full size plane, it looks like the reflex is much less than this model.  I know that models and full size don't always follow the same rules, but i'm curious.

Andrew,

Thank you for getting those great pictures.  I'll definitely need to detail out the cylinder heads more. 

More updates soon,

Hank
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »

Wow, with those detailed photos I might have to build one! I'll wait to see what Hank learns in the flight reports.

wills_redde
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

A very interesting aircraft, especially the wingtip control surfaces. How skittish is the model?
Fleaz
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »

Mark,

Did you guys find the center of lift for this model?  I'm wondering how far back one can move the CG?  If you look at one of the flying pictures Andrew posted, of the full size plane, it looks like the reflex is much less than this model.  I know that models and full size don't always follow the same rules, but i'm curious.

The CG can be moved back quite a bit.  Bill did the test flying, and can give you an idea how far back it can go.  Our model does not have a reflexed airfoil, which the full scale plane had.  We chose to go with a conventional flat bottomed airfoil for ease of construction, therefore, the reflex required on the elevons is greater than seen in photos of the full scale Archaeopteryx.    We left the CG as indicated in the instructions as a compromise.  Yes, it can be moved back, and the reflex reduced, but there is no practical place to stuff the necessary dead weight needed to achieve this...  and nobody wants dead weight in their model anyway.  The model performs nicely when set up as recommended, with no bad habits or twitchiness.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »

I think the balance is a hot topic on the real aircraft. If I have this right, during the current restoration, the engineer checking for the airworthiness has asked for a considerable amount of reinforcing for some parts of the structure, this has lead to a c of g shift and Richard was complaining about the amount of ballast that was required to restore things to where they should be.  Also I think that on the real thing that there is are considerable aero elastic effects at play due to the large control surfaces IIRC...

Klunk
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

Mark,

Good point on the reflex airfoil.  I'll test fly on the recomended set up but it's always good to know where I can go if i have problems. 

Andrew,
 interesting on the CG of the full size plane I hope the plane flies ok with the extra weight. 

I actually got some more work done last night.  I painted the forward section the aluminum color and the motor and my little motor cover.  I might still cover it with SoLite, If i do cover it with silver solite i hope that the paint will change the color of the solite a bit so it'll look different than the wing. 

Also i think i'll attempt to put the filleted vertical stab on the model.  The prototype looks so good with with it i think i'll have to try. 

Onward,

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »

Well i got the fuse covered.  Like i said at the beginning i was going to cover the fuse yellow.  I know it's not scale but it does look good.  I'm pretty happy with how the fuse turned out.  I used Hangar 9 Parklite and Solite.  I started with so-lite which my dad swore was park lite.  When i ran out of what he gave me i bought parklite and there is quite a bit of difference between the two.  The solite and park like match though so that good.  Park lite is heavier, but it seems more stable and has less static cling properties.  I enjoyed working with it and it seems to come in a few more colors than so-lite.  I also got the stickers on the fuse and rudder.  They look good.  I'm trying to get my nerve up to try putting the other half of the wing stickers on. 

I have decided to put a steerable tail wheel on the model.  I know it's not scale but i've never built a model and said "you know i wish this thing didn't have a steerable tail wheel." But many times i have said "I wish i had put a steerable tail wheel on this thing."  If i get some time in the garage tonight and tomorrow, i might get a test flight done over the weekend, but i'm not holding my breath. 

enjoy the pics,

Hank
Fleaz
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »

Looks Good!  Can't wait for the maiden!
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

Hank,
Sorry the photos don't show this very well. So I have to ask; did you do the fin fillet?

All the best,
Konrad

Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 12:33:20 PM »

Mark,

Thanks, doesn't look like the test flight will happen this weekend.  But maybe next. 

Konrad,

Yes i did do the fin fillet.  It didn't turn out that great.  I should have sanded the wood block more to allow the fillet to have more radius.  It is on there and looks ok though.  Here are some pics to try and show the fillet.  It's so small it's hard to show. 

enjoy the pics,

Hank
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »

That angle between the fin and turtle deck would make any cloth filet difficult.

Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »

Konrad,

Yeah, if i did it over again i'd glue the vertical stab on before putting the blocks on to see how it would work out. 

Anyway, I got some more done.  I made my steerable tail wheel.  It turned out pretty good.  The wheel is a main wheel from some parkzone foamy micro cut down with a pair of scissors. 

I've also installed my rudder servo.  I did not have another hs-35 to use so i decided to use a small digital servo from airtronics i had in my drawer.  it's about a 5.5 gram servo.  It didn't fit.  First i had to cut a hole in the cockpit floor then it was to high to align with my push rod tubes so i had to take the servo mounting plate out of the radio compartment and then add some small spacers to put the servo in the right plane.  I have a pilot to cover the servo stick out through the cockpit floor.  Also i'm going to pull pull on this model.  I almost had it set up but i quit working in the garage on Sunday when the temp got up over 100 f. 

I hope to have a test assembly this week but i'm learning that one can't schedule a test flight is a very true thing. 

enjoy the pics.

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »

She's ready for a test flight but far from finished.  I decided I wanted to try flying the girl before I detail out the engine and everything else.  Last night i got her assembled and everything hooked up the way it's supposed to be.  Still need to do the power run up test and finish the programming in the TX (expo dual rates and timer).  The pull pull set up turned out nice and she has lots of rudder travel.  But she's ready to go for a test hop.  The CG came out right and the all up weight is a little higher than advertised at 10 oz.  but she looks great. 

My list of detail stuff to finish after she's trimmed and flying reliably

-detail the engine (exhausts, rocker arm covers, and push rods)
-detail the cockpit a bit
-add the archaeopteryx logo to the nose
-make more scale wheels. 

If i get to the field and it's still calm tomorrow i'm gonna give it a test hop. 

enjoy the pics

Hank
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

Well She flies.  Saturday was calm enough for a test flight.  I did some taxi tests in my drive way on friday she showed to have enough power and ground handling.  So on Saturday morning I loaded her into the car and headed to the field.  With the cg 1/2 inch in front of the rear cabain strut like the instruction says and all controls moving in the right direction I pointed her into the direction of the last breeze i'd felt and she flew off.  I need all of my up elevator trim to maintain level flight.  Full throttle will climb but 3/4 throttle is cruse.  I think there is so much drag at the tips of the wings that power will always be needed to maintain cruse.  After a few minutes of flying i landed and looked at everything.  I moved the battery back a tiny bit and took off again.  I took out maybe two clicks of up trim.  I flew for another minute or two and decided to land.  My second landing wasn't so great and all the struts popped off(as designed).  When i was putting them back on i noticed my rear cabain anchor was coming out of the wing.  I charged up the battery an glued the anchor back into the wing.  I took out my up trim since I wasn't sure of when it may have come loose.  On my second flight I hit a weed on take off and snagged the anti tip over skid which made the plane flip over on to her back That caused a elevon servo to get stripped out.  So she's grounded till i can find a gear set and get it rebuilt. 

All in all, i'd say it went well.  I wouldn't call the plane stable in a self correcting kind of way, but I didn't experience any divergent tendencies, she just kinda went where she was pointed slowly.  I'll say there is still lots of trimming todo on the model and in the end i think i'll get a nice calm wind flyer.  It certainly looked cool flying and nobody else had one out at the field. 

Konrad, No i did not have the slr with me.  I went to get it and the battery was flat so here are come terrible iphone pictures. 

Hank
Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »

I don't have a problem with the Iphone photos (better than no photos). Like they say; the best camera is the one you have handy.

Now I have some concerns about an electric flier having flat batterries, even if they are in the SLR camera!.  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: