Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 06:50:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First contest day?  (Read 676 times)
tgwhitley
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »

I plan to attend my first local contest end of this month and fly in P-30 only. What is the suggestions for items needed my model is Perky 30 covered in Mylar bought RTF from Starlink? I have winder stooge and a few hooks rubber, original Tan by the way, your thoughts appreciated and needed.

Tim

Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »

Be sure to take Rubber Lube - your motor won't last long without it.

A stopwatch would be good.  Offer to time other competitors (press start when they release the plane and stop when it touches the ground).  This will show you are interested, willing to help (in case you need help or a time in return), and it is just plain courtesy.  Also, it will allow you to watch what others do regarding their planes.

A human companion is always good to bring along. 

--george

DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »

• plan to have fun. Attitude is important
  • a torque meter is handy to get the most out of your motors
  • wind fearlessly! Stretch the motor as far as it will go before you start winding. Think guitar string tight at full extension. Don't be afraid to break a motor or two, so bring extras.
  • you are guaranteed three flights. Take your time preparing for each flight. When ready to fly pay attention to the conditions and launch into a thermal. A tall pole with a Mylar streamer attached, placed upwind, can help to spot a thermal.
  • if you succeed in launching into a thermal, make sure somebody gets a picture of the grin on your face
  • don't be surprised if the plane takes like forever to come down after it DT's
  • use a fresh motor for each flight. If the used motor doesn't have lots of small nicks or even a broken strand, wind the next one harder
  • always light or engage your DT, Once you're  in the flyoff rounds make sure your DT time is longer than the required max.
  • repeat to yourself over and over "no short DT's, no short DT's"
  • make sure you are having fun
  • stay hydrated

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »

Sunscreen,
Binoculars,
Lensatic compass (used for land navigation),
Colored ribbon or yarn to mark locations of stooge guy wire stakes so people are less likely to trip on the wires/stakes,
Extra rubber bands,
Patching material for the Mylar,
Camera with new/fresh batteries,
Don't forget to wear good walking shoes/boots that are a comfortable fit.
Include contact info on your Perky- Name, Home phone or Cell phone # is better.
Dave
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:35:17 PM by Dave Andreski » Logged

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
planesjimmycam
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »

Im not sure what the fuselage of that plane is made of, but a blast tube to protect it from broken rubber motors during winding would be good, if it is possible.
  Best regards,
Jim

flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »

Where and when is this contest?  There may be some local fliers that either monitor this Forum or that may be contacted to be on the lookout for you.

Above all, have fun.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »

Im not sure what the fuselage of that plane is made of, but a blast tube to protect it from broken rubber motors during winding would be good, if it is possible.
  Best regards,
Jim

Jim,
FWIW, the 'Perky' has a rolled fuselage.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
tgwhitley
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »

Michael at Starlink was kind enough to send a blast tube. Is scotch tape repair material for Mylar? Will carry the usual human comfort features tent shade, sunscreen, glasses etc, more concerned about FF model related items needed to have. I have flown in several RC pattern contest this is first Free Flight.

Tim

Modelace
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »

Whitley:
You can lose the Perky in a good thermal, even D/T'd with a pop-up stab. I strongly suggest you D/T with a wing detach system (It is a cord attached to one wingtip and the rear of the fuselage; look at reply #151 on the show us your P-30's thread) There is no fun unless you have a model with which to compete!
Dow-Corning Type 33 low temp bearing grease is a silicon based lube that will absorb INTO your rubber and not splash off to add weight to your model as some castor oil/glycerine lubes are prone to do.
There is no better thermal detector than other models or vultures circling near your launch position. Watch the other guys! A 2 loop (4 strand)  1/8" motor should take approx. 75 turns per inch. 1/8" rubber weighs approx. 1 gram per foot.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:00:33 PM by Modelace » Logged
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 02:37:28 PM »

A compass is REALLY useful for finding the model, at least if you see it come down. Even better is a suitable GPS or GPS app. You can establish a line and not lose it if you have to go around a large obstacle.

A cell phone and water bottle are good to have on the retrieve, particularly on a hot day. I've been in the middle of some really dense brush, slowly overheating, with neither of those items. Not fun. Long pants are good so your legs don't get ripped up.

Of course if the site is very large and your DT is very reliable, you probably won't have this problem.

If your budget covers it, and someone brings a receiver, a Walston retriever transmitter can be very useful for locating the model. I think the lightest one is 3 grams. There are a number of other gadgets for this purpose, but I am not familiar with them.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »

From years of FF competition, there are a few recurring mistakes I see in P-30.

1. Motors are not at the proper weight, either way under or over the 10gram limit, with lube.
2. Prepare the motors ahead of time lubed, weighed, stranded and bagged. For a first contest 6 motors should be plenty. More if you are test flying.
3. This is rare, but sometimes the airframe is underweight. BTW- the rubber hook is airframe weight, not motor weight.
4. Because the motor is made up by weight, not length, sometimes they come up short and stop the freewheeler from working. Make sure you check, especially when you change batches of rubber.
5. Biggest mistake- not winding hard enough! See Derek's comment! A 6 strand motor will easily go OVER 1000 turns. If you don't break motors, you're not winding enough.
6. Make sure you get a good line on where it lands. Look for landmarks on the horizon.

Get a gram scale that weighs in tenths of a gram. A cheap Harbor Freight is OK for now. But when weighing rubber, be aware that the built up static charge in rubber sometimes makes the scale go nuts.
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »

Take something to blow bubbles with and you'll know if there's lift or not. Or set up a pole and a streamer if that's allowed. A very light streamer. I don't know if they still do, but people used to make bubble machines to use at contests! If the mylar is clear, it might be a good idea to paint it with some fluorescent paint. Maybe the kind for plastics that Krylon has? Or the paints they make for lexan model car bodies??

Of course, you're probably on the road already, and I should be preparing for the contest I'm attending tomorrow.
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 03:01:10 AM »

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck Tim, man I am jealous.
 May Hung treat you too some fine thermals and max after max.
 G.
 PS: Good luck to you too Lincoln, and remeber to have some fun for me while your out there.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: