Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 02:48:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vic Smeed's immortal Pushy Cat  (Read 2412 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »

After finishing the Soda Cracker, next up is the scaled down Pushy Cat that was a free plan in AM many years ago. It'll be Brown Twin powered and as good as I can build such a classic design. Back with some pics as I get somewhere!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »

Fin built and basic fuselage together. As I've reduced the wood sizes for a CO2 powered version, as opposed to the original electric, there is a spot of extra diagonal stripwood bracing going into the rear fus. Structural strength is probably adequate, but I don't want the thinner wood distorting under tissue shrinkage! I've always LOVED this design. A full size version with a G600 Twin is probably on the cards soon...

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »

Progress so far....

Cheers,

Dan.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Vic Smeed's immortal Pushy Cat
cd_webb
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

How scaled down are you going with it? Are you going with the published plan reduced, or redrawn? I've always like this little plane too, just haven't yet run across the plan while looking for the next project. There's just so many you can do when you're as slow as I am. I certainly am interested to see what you come up with. Very pretty so far!

David
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »

The reduced size Pushy Cat plan featured in the June 1989 Aeromodeller as the free pullout plan at 5/8 of the fullsize original, making it 26.5" span, and was named "Pushy Kitten" for obvious reasons. I'm unsure if the plan exists anywhere else on the net in a downloadable form, but it can obviously be sourced via the original back issue of AM or from one or other of the 'private' plans suppliers.  How much you alter it for CO2 would largely depend on what CO2 motor you're using-a GM120 would be about right if light, a Modela probably good-and a GM300 would probably overpower it-as well as being problematic for prop size....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »

I've only seen the plan in the '89 AM. I can't find any mention of it online at all. I'm going for a Brown MJ140 Twin for power. Slightly larger than the GM120 and it should be a good match. I'm reducing wood sizes as far as I dare in a bid to keep the weight down as much as possible. The fus. is 1mm sheet as opposed to the 1/16th on the plan. Ribs etc. will all be thinner wood, too. I built one from this plan years ago for someone else, using a Cox Pee Wee. It had a climb to rival an F1C model and nearly escaped from Barkston's 900 acres... This one should be a little more sedate.

Cheers,

Dan
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »

It's on Outerzone.  Plug in "Vic Smeed" in the search box and  three pages of Smeed plans will appear.  PC is about half way down on pg. 2.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »

It's on Outerzone.  Plug in "Vic Smeed" in the search box and  three pages of Smeed plans will appear.  PC is about half way down on pg. 2.

That's the bigger one.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »

Yup, but easy enough to scale to whatever Wink.  I've tried to find some of the plans from the time before AM went bust, to no avail.  The Plans Service from that time seems to have gone the way of the Dodo, so we're reduced to copies that other pack rats have saved ( Huh a plan that you DON'T HAVE?  Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes).

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »

Hi all! Bit more progress on the Pushy Kitten! Nose joined without going banana shaped and block pieces tacked on and rough shaped. After wire bending, carving block balsa is my least fave model building task! Once all that's done, I've just got the mounting for the Brown Twin and routing of the filler valve to sort out before tackling the wings and tail.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »

Got a little further with the Pushy Kitten. Brown Twin mounted, all the horribly fraught pipe bending done and pretty much ready for covering, apart from the awkward little motor mount to rear fus. fairing and the little bit of block that forms the top of the windscreen.

Cheers,

Dan.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »

Lookin' good Dan!  How close is the kitten construction to the 44" version (ja, ya got me innerested - prolly for the 120)?  It's really cute

A Dedicated Convert to:

danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »

Hi Pete! The construction closely follows the full size version. It can be lightened considerably for CO2!. Be warned that there isn't much prop clearance at this size; a home brewed 3 blader may be in order...

Cheers,

Dan.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »

Dan
I built a couple of these and found the prop kept chewing the wing when it slewed on landing. Will yours be one piece?
Bill
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »

Not decided yet, Bill. It would save the chewed up TE, but make transport harder. I might use bits of glasspaper on the wing and wing seat and industrial strength bands!

Cheers,

Dan.
Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 12:02:46 AM »

Here's my electric 3 channel version.
kpriddle
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 11:31:09 PM »

Hey, Dan:

That it one fantastic looking airplane.  You always build cleanly.

May I ask where you get your balsa?  It appears to be nice wood. 

Also, what wheels are you using?

KP
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 05:51:42 AM »

Thanks! The wheels are from Flitehook in the UK and are Czech made, I think. Wood is just local hobby shop stuff.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »

Fuselage finished apart from wing dowels! The two block fairings at the top of the windscreen and under the engine mount are now done. I hate carving block, so it's nice to get those out of the way!!

Cheers,

Dan.
kpriddle
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »

Dan, the carved regions look fantastic.  Watching your builds is a beautiful thing. 

Thanks for sharing with us.

KP
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »

Tailplane started and various bits been covered! Only the wing remains. I pasted a tracing for a master rib template to a handy bit of ply earlier, so once that's thoroughly dry, the ribs can be produced. I'll be reducing the LE and TE sizes from the huge lumps on the plan (3/16" sq and 1/2"x1/8"!) in the interests of weight saving.

Colour is SAMS bright green tissue with either black, maroon or gold trim. Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 04:16:09 PM »

Not being doing much lately, but once the Bristol is done, this will be finished!!

Cheers,

Dan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: