Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2019, 08:13:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Majestyk?.. not really  (Read 1335 times)
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:30:10 PM »

My Majestyk P30 has not wanted to fly like a proper P30 with a R/R trim. She would fly for a minute or so but nothing special. I turned up the Right thrust all the way and power dived her in half. I fixed her up including those wing warps I hoped were causing all my trimming issues.  I started over again and got a decent glide and added power slowly. It was not an easy process and it took many adjustments to get up to even 600 winds. I let off a bit too much downthrust on this flight and here is what happened.

http://youtu.be/uBjVrMMLtXk

It ended up under the power lines, where I then discovered I had fixed my wing off by one panel all this time ...duh. 
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:53:23 PM »

Good bye for now Majestyk...

It took a bit to get into trim but she settled into being my best flyer logging many flights over 4 minutes.  However I banged the heck of it in the process breaking the fuse in half, the wing a few times,ripped the rudder off. I wanted to call it Timex as it took a lickin and kept on tickin.  I went down south with it in trim and easily making 2 minutes on less than full winds.  P30 was going to be my first event after I got my cat gliders in trim, which didn't take too long. I figured one or two test flights then 3 official flights and I would have the afternoon to fly cats and put my Duplex together.  First test flight no climb, lousy glide. 5 more flights in 5-7 mph had me worn out but she was ready to go after I ended up replacing the elevator which had gotten crunched (I brought a spare wing and tail section).  I changed the motor and started winding when  at about 800 turns...snap.  Blown motor? nope blown motor peg section, built before I started using ply facing Sad . Due to using a blast tube there was minimal damage and I repaired the section with ply on both sides to prevent future breaks. In the mean time a real "Texas trash mover" came rolling through our area and it took the P30 out of the trunk of my car and sent it down the road ending up under another vehicle with again almost no damage. My box of Cat gliders was not so fortunate. Located under my car the entire box was blown out from under and then seemingly exploded in the air. Doc manage to catch two of them before the whole mess headed off to Bakersfield. The ply was dry and things calmed down a bit so I wound up and got ready to launch.  All of sudden the RRRrrrrr of the motors on the gas line were all going off at once ....that meant one thing, thermal time so I threw her up in the air, sans a DT that likes to go off @ 1:30.  She got the air and completed 2:00 and I followed it to touch down at 5:36.  While on retrieve I heard a motorcycle behind me as he was chasing a gas model gliding overhead when I looked back at my line I was completely disorientated and I failed to use my compass to mark a landmark and bearing.  Perhaps someone will come across it but that won't be me.   
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »

Swarthog:

Sorry you lost Majestyk.  Thanks for the story.  

Build a better one now!

My first FA Moth flew away and could not be located when I looked down at my stop watch and lost my line of sight on that airplane.  
Oldtime Flyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

"Keep it Simple"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »

MY Majestyk is one of the best flying P-30s available as a kit.
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 05:06:30 PM »

So I built a Majestyk per the plans and have some feedback on it.
This is from my build and yours may be different.

Standard CZech yellow prop with 3 loops of 1/8" for power gives a decent motor run, but on burst it would not climb, just raced around like a control line model for a bit before it would climb.
I initially had added a small Gurney flap to the right inner panel to help with the climb.

1) The incidence on the wing was insufficient.
- I cut down the ramp at the rear so the trailing edge rested on the fuse. That was the secret sauce to get it to climb.

2) The front end is built too light to handle the somewhat inevitable hard landings from the trimming process.
- If you go with the same size 3/32" at the front, I'd recommend adding hard 1/32" or somewhat soft 1/16" to the sides and bottom of the first bay.
- Next, either add 1/64" ply facing to the front to help knit this area together, or wrap it with kevlar thread and epoxy it. Either way will work.

Also add some mechanism for holding the noseblock on. Even if it seems tight and cannot possible fall out, it will.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »

Interesting Mike. Sounds like you got it figured out and the fuselage suggestions make sense.  My original Majestyk built to plan flew pretty well right off the board.  It went to another level all together when I switched to a rolled tube fuselage with a Gizmo Geezer front end.  That plane handled the wind like a Torrent Duck in white water.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »

Interesting Mike. Sounds like you got it figured out and the fuselage suggestions make sense.  My original Majestyk built to plan flew pretty well right off the board.  It went to another level all together when I switched to a rolled tube fuselage with a Gizmo Geezer front end.  That plane handled the wind like a Torrent Duck in white water.

My original one (Majestyk 2) was built too light - This is what happens when an F1D guy builds outdoor.
I had to add 8 grams of ballast. I think that weighed more than the rolled fuse.
I will do another rolled fuse, but will use kevlar tissue on the inside to give it some more strength.
It also flew like mad when the weather was light, but the wind got it eventually.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: