Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 11:27:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Successfull flying session??  (Read 1269 times)
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »

Hi All,
Lee thanks for the pitcher technique tip....as soon as I repair the Freshman (folded the starboard wing the other day on a launch...I am a lefty) I will give this sequence a try and report back.

Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
ricardo
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »

Many thanks for the tips on launching. I'm slowly going through the HPB & SFA archives. Loadsa treasure but it takes finding ..

If I may hijack a bit more of this thread ... and it is about "Successful flying .."

What is the effect of washin one wing tip on a model with large speed range like HLG/CLG/TLG?

My understanding is that

- on launch (small AoA, fast) this will raise the wing with wash in. ie banks away from washin.
- on glide (large AoA, slow flight) the higher AoA causes more profile drag cos nearer to stall. ie yaw towards the washin. May depend on Aspect Ratio.

Comments from both practical and theoretical gurus please.

An engineer is someone who can do for 2 bob what any fool can do for a quid
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »

Ric,

I think I can say with a high degree of assuredness that I won't be 'flamed', that you NEVER intentionally want ANY TIP wash-in on any Free Flight model that I can think of. It just leads to worsening tip stalls, adinfinitum.

I am hoping you did not mean 'tip' when you said wash-in, but rather the main panel. Your understanding then is correct as to wash-in's effect. And it does relate to aspect ratio & Rn, hence the need to balance these speed-sensitive crossed control elements.

One of my long held precepts is I think from Confusious: "All things in moderation." I think if you apply that idea to trimming these aircraft things sort themselves out happily. Grin

Leeper

Leeper
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 06:35:26 PM »

Went out to fly the gliders this AM, but it was also a mission. Conditions initially clear, shirt sleeve temps, with very slight drift from the South. I drove out to the local RC field looking for a larger place to fly. Very friendly and laid back RCers told me that the large alfalfa field next door was constantly being tread upon by errant models and they had a good rapport with the tenant farmer regarding retrieval access. I was invited to drive to far side of the field anytime and approach from that side, so as not to cross their AMA insured runway. I would estimate field is big enough to fly 1/2A with 10 second or less engine run, depending upon drift direction, but then I am the guy who thought the city park was big enough for his HLG's! South wind here usually presages a front and after about an hour of leisurely launches and retrieval, plus considerable "airplane talk" with the RC guys , found cloud front pass over. Temp dropped and wind picked up a bit, so headed for home. Was invited back by the RCer's(!!!) and went home to feed breakfast to the Mrs. By the time I got home (about 4 miles), the front was gone. Overall, not much actual flying ,but I di d find a bigger field ,with permission.

Managed to snag a stab LE on one resulting in a split and a gouge, but repair didn't change trim. Flawless glides from hand toss, across the large parking lot side, sure impressed those guys! I'll try to fly in the ankle deep alfalfa next week. I'll try not to cry too much about it! But hey, they're making me!

I'm approaching this much less hard charging than I would have a few years back. My building and flying time are more precious to me now, and it seems I'm enjoying ALL phases more. I look forward to the planning (including drawing the plans) and building more. There! A real "grasshopper has learned" moment.

Hope to have a couple of simple rubber scale types ready by next week. Perhaps I wont be a "one trick-two pony show", anymore. Will have to find a stooge if I can't get anyone to join me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: