Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 09:46:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Andy Sephton's new proposals for UK Indoor Scale  (Read 4369 times)
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2014, 06:15:51 AM »

Quote - "Andrew is convinced he was marked down because he included a drinking straw exhaust pipe not shown on the plan, a fair comment as the rules stand but maybe the addition of such details should not be marked down but merely ignored, the only penalty being the additional weight which would affect the flight score" (from my post Aug 7)

I agree with Pete re ignoring additional detail in Kit Scale, in fact if you look back at the very first post on page 4 you will see that I have already raised this idea via the above quote (still not learnt how to include a quote on my posts). Pete has added to this the question of fully painted finishes which I also agree with; I too would like to enter Open Scale as well as Kit Scale with the same model.

Laurence Marks did this in 2010 with a Piper Vagabond and won Kit Scale and finished in 4th place in Open Rubber and his model had a fully painted finnish (didn't get the highest static score though cos I did [only time I got highest anything], think you were judging KS that year Andy).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:42:37 AM by John Churchill » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2014, 06:35:11 AM »

Sorry John  - I rather suspected I'd already seen my suggestion from someone else, but was too lazy to read back through all the older posts.
Incidentally, to include a quote, click on 'quote' in the post you want and then when it comes up in the reply box just delete any bits you don't want (but not the gobbledegook or quote brackets at the start and end).
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »

Thanks Pete, I'll try that next time....
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

Wasn't trying to steal your thunder Pete, just trying to add more weight to the idea.

On the subject of painted finishes, I think according to the rules or judges notes at the moment, it's only a fully painted finish which should attract a 5 point penalty, I believe you can use paint for trim & markings without penalty. Am I interpreting the rules/notes correctly does anybody know?

Anyway I agree with your suggestion re paint Pete, but I can see what Andy's driving at. Difficult one.
Maybe Laurence had the right approach, he won KS that year (2010) despite the paint.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:07:48 PM by John Churchill » Logged
steve h
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »

Hi just wanted to comment on peanut scale I have only been to the nationals the last two years and entered kit scale, this year I also decided to enter peanut with a very simple peck lacey and really enjoyed it, I would recommend to all kit scalers to give it a go too. Cheers
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »

Re. the bit about "extra" detail that isn't on the plan...

I was always reminded by my Mom about an incident with my first "scale" model that I built at about 7 yrs.  The model had been built and covered with the supplied off-white tissue (can't recall what the model was, but DO know that it was a COMET kit).  It got PAINTED and doped.  I was proud as could be when my Dad came home that evening and said "very nice" (he was a good liar Wink).  I had done it up EXACTLY like the pictures of the plane at the Erie airport (might have been the GLOBE SWIFT).

Looking at the pitchures a day or so later, I noticed a LOT of doodads that were not shown on the plan, so they got stuck on the plane anyway.  My DAD was surprised/shocked (prolly 'cause the plane now looked like Frankenstein's monster) and ask WHY I had added the gazeebos - to which I answered "because they're on the REAL airplane"!  Same went with those abominable printed "instrument panels".

Tissue markings/trim back then (middle '50s) was done by the "experts".  Cutting out those designs from tissue was impossible for all of us kids - other than roundels or Stars-and-Bars - and EVERY kid had their watercolor/tempera kit.

I never built a kit "exactly" to the supplied plan!  If it didn't look like it was supposed to, it got changed to make it look "right".  I guess I can thank my parents for telling/showing me that kits are just a beginning, a "first step" to using our own brain to take the "kit" that little bit further.

Penalizing a modeler for ADDING paint/detail is, IMHO, WRONG!  Just ignore the extras in the judging phase.  The extra weight will equalize the results (as already mentioned) in the all-important flying.

My unqualified Tuppence...

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Ex Member

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2014, 04:37:23 AM »

I never built a kit "exactly" to the supplied plan!

No neither did I, not through any creativity or will to make it look right (other than the box artwork I had no idea anyhow) but mainly because I often failed to read the plan and instructions.... Grin Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: