Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 12, 2019, 04:17:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking for a quick build Bostonian  (Read 1841 times)
pburress
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »

The title says it all... there's a contest coming up and I'd like to get an outdoor Bostonian in the air quick.  What do you recommend?
Alvaro Sala
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Brazil Brazil

Long live google translator!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »

My sugestion.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Looking for a quick build Bostonian

Brazil: Where the nuts come from.
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »

My sugestion.

Second that, it's a quick build and a great flyer.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »

Since this is for outdoor and you need a strong climbing airplane, I've got three suggestions. Only one of them is pretty. Mooney's Boston Found is attractive and has room for a reasonable amount of rubber. Bob Stalick's Boxtonian is as dead simple as it gets, but obviously somewhat ugly, and it could stand to have the rear fuselage widened a touch. Lastly, Lindley's Bean Machine is straightforward and easy to build. It's designed for indoor, so put a spar in the wing and eliminate the wing struts.

I've got pdf's of all these. Email me off list if interested.

Plan to use a Tern Aero 6" (the black prop). It's the best prop ever made for outdoor Bostonian. A light Bostonian (12 g or less, obviously dictated by the rules) will run on a loop of 1/8. For 14 g and over, use a 20" loop of 3/16. Make sure it's new rubber--the old 3/16" Tan SS was unreliable in my experience. Wind it hard and expect a good high climb. You'll want a DT...
pburress
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 11:04:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  Those are all great airplanes but in the mean time I found an airplane here in the plans gallery, the Observer, that struck my fancy and I'm off and running.   Lots of straight lines in the flying surfaces so hopefully it will go together quickly.  I don't know anything about it at all... hopefully it will be a good flyer.  Got most of the hard work done on the framing yesterday and today. 
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »

Nice subject.  Looks like you've got a good start on it.

Here's a related thread by Scigs30:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=10463.0

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Balsa-Buster
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »

Suggest you try the Bean Box Bostonian by John Oldenkamp. Very simple straight forward build with great performance. Built mine from an edition of Model Airplane news but don't recall the month/year of the magazine edition. Maybe try a Google search and see if you can find it. It may also be available from AMA plans service.
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 12:32:18 AM »

The Observer is a good choice.

The Observer is the first (and so far only) Bostonian I built, it flies very nicely and can be built pretty quickly.

Mine has cracked the sticks on the rear of the cabin a couple of times. in fact it needs some minor re gluing after getting damaged when it got caught in the rafters.

here is a low quality video of it flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4NStWeBFo
pburress
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »

Well, in record time by far, the Observer is done!  My projects usually take months but I had the week off and gave myself a deadline.  There's a contest tomorrow in Perry, OK and hopefully I'll get there early enough to get some trim flights in before the wind picks up. 
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »

Very nice!  Here's to successful trimming flights, and above all, have fun!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 06:02:21 AM »

Nicely done,

whats the final weight?  Good luck at the contest.

pburress
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »

Thanks guys.  My scale is having problems but I think it's about 9g without rubber.  It was too breezy to fly it today at the contest but I will try to to get some flights in at the school yard tomorrow.
korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »

That's about the same weight as mine, I found that I had to use a high pitch prop , P/D = 2 to get good results. I tried flying it outdoors, its sensitive to the slightest breeze and its hard to see any consistency, indoors it flies beautifully. 

pburress
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »

Yesterday was nice- hot but with only 4mph winds, so I took the Observer to the school yard for some trim flights.  I can definitely say that the airplane files very well.  I was using a shim under the LE of the fin to accomplish a circular pattern to the right.   The loop of 1/8" rubber is a perfect match.  Incidence and CG were pretty much spot on, off the board.

Unfortunately, on the fourth flight I made a couple of mistakes.  I gave it 700 winds which was probably too much for the field.  Also I didn't check the rudder shim and I think it fell off and thus lost the circular pattern.  The result was a beautiful flight, gaining much altitude, with a landing in the very top of a 40' tree in a neighboring yard.  I got permission to enter the yard but I couldn't even spot it in the tree at that point. Even if I had, my middle-aged tree climbing abilities aren't what they once were.   So it looks like this one is lost.  I would have hoped to lose my first airplane in a thermal, not a tree. Sad  My name and phone number are on the model so maybe I will get lucky...  Oh well, these things happen, right?  I plan to build another.

korale
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »

Sorry to hear about that, Sounds like you had a nice flying airplane, hope you get it back.  I can understand needing to build another one.
TheDope
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:44:27 PM »

A real beauty you lost in that tree. I've saved the plans for a future build based on yours, scigs30's and korale's specimens. The park where I fly my models is the same park I take my 1 year old to every day and for a long time I was taunted by the site of one of my models high up in a similarly unreachable position. It was very small but was red in color so easy to spot if you knew where to look. One day it just wasn't there any more. I had a look at the base of the tree, in neighbouring trees, even climbed part way up the tree but I cannot explain the sudden dissapearance of the model after it sitting there for months and months. The dissappearance really annoyed me since that meant my only 5.5" prop was gone for good. Maybe with your name on the model you'll have better luck than I did. I can only suspect birds or kids. Kids I don't mind - but birds - why would a bird take my model? They already find more thermals than I do!  Grin
pburress
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »

Good News, The Observer has been found. We drove by and saw it hanging halfway down the tree and were able to retrieve it. The fin is missing and the stab is badly warped but it will be flying again soon!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »

Good News, The Observer has been found. We drove by and saw it hanging halfway down the tree and were able to retrieve it. The fin is missing and the stab is badly warped but it will be flying again soon!

Outstanding! That's only a couple hours work, and it's a plane with good potential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: