Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 05:50:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Herr Aeronca Champ  (Read 572 times)
Ex Member

« on: August 24, 2014, 11:08:34 AM »

My Back-up plan for the Indoor Nats Next year.

This isn't a bad kit, The parts fit was good, but there are better. The laser wood was a bit heavy and the cutting on the curves was poor ("jagedy") The brass eyelets for the nose bearings are a bit naff IMO, and the peg is a very long way back for a modern design.  It will have to be a small (sub 5 1/2") prop for enough clearence for ROG too.....

What's in the picture is a smidge less than 7g, but I stripped my own (lighter and more regular in stiffness)1/16" square....
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Herr Aeronca Champ
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »

Looks good Andrew,

This was my very first kit scale entry in 2007: flies really well but no doubt you've noticed that this like all the small Herr's has no decalage as drawn. Mine ended up with 1/16 under the tailplane T/E, and the subsequent Herr's I've built (Cessna 180 and Tri-Pacer) have been tweaked to drop the wing T/E to give the required incidence. The Champ also needed a fair bit of down and right thrust, the down being as a consequence of not building the decalage in by increasing the wing incidence at the construction stage.

I've been trying to kill my Champ for the past 5 years in the air race at the nats, but still it comes back for more  Smiley
Ex Member

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:16:48 PM »

Looks good Andrew,

This was my very first kit scale entry in 2007: flies really well but no doubt you've noticed that this like all the small Herr's has no decalage as drawn.

Cheers Graham... I am afraid you have overestimated my powers of observation!  I hadn't really noticed that, but a quick look at the plan shows you are 100% correct.

I will sneak in a few degrees......

Andrew
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

Very nice Andrew, I can see why you chose this, it's a good representation of the prototype, as opposed to the Veron version which I thought you would have gone for, given your liking for Veron kits. Keep posting the photos.
Ex Member

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »

Thanks John,

To be honest, I only built this over the Veron one because I bought the kit off Dan Mellor, and it deserved to be built.  It is pretty small, the long thin wings although an 18" span leave a peanut sized fuselage which is about at the lower end of what my chubby fingers can handle Grin...

My allegiance to Veron is unbowed, I would rather be flying the Hellcat if I had to make the choice, but if I want to win the way things are - this might just be what I have to enter....

Andrew
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »

this might just be what I have to enter....

Will it be yellow?  Grin
Ex Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:34:19 PM »

Erm yes! Grin

......with a bit of orange!

Andrew
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »

I wish you the best of luck, whatever the colour may be Wink
Ex Member

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »

Cheers!

Andrew
John Churchill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »

You might win with the Champ, but just think of the applause the Wildcat would get!!! Is Plan A still the Wildcat?

May get the Comet Waco J2W-1 finished for KS, depending when I start working on it again, but it could be a Veron Luscombe Sedan if I can find a good simple scheme for it.

I reckon the Champion would go very well outdoors if scaled up to say 30" span, just thinking of something to combat Richard Granger's 40" Lacey in the NMAC Rubber Scale comp next year......

7 grams sounds like a very lightweight structure, should be nice and slow. Looking forward to seeing more photos Andrew.

John.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:24:38 PM by John Churchill » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: