Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 05:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alan King's 1948 power model  (Read 738 times)
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:55:40 AM »

Hello All,
I have been thinking about Alan Kings power model from 1948, which I came across at the site:
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/king_gallery.html   

Obviously Alan was a top modeller and I am surprised not to have seen any examples of this model in any of the UK Vintage mags over the years.  Its like a pretty and better designed Slicker and should go pretty well.  The only thing is that the plan was at " one quarter full scale" but without the original magazine there were only two dimensions, the wheel diameter and the under cart length.  Both of these are pretty distorted so if you draw up using these dims you have to make some guesses about chorts and moment arms. 

So I was wondering if any of you chaps downunder might have any info on this model and the key dimensions such as chord, moment arm etc?

I mentioned this model to Andrew Longhust, who has got keen on small vintage power models and I think he was going to try to track down more info, but I though I'd ask you guys as well as I know you all enjoy talking about power models!
Adam
(who knows, I might even muster the energy to build one)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:04:55 AM »

Have never seen one built, but I do think you could print out the plan and have a plan shop blow it up for you.

I reckon the rib spacings are 2in so that would make it 40in span.

The motor?HuhHuh  Probably a Mills 1.5 Mk1 at a guess.
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:02:21 AM »

The little bit of text says it was an ED 2cc.

I think blowing the plan up to full size using this drawing might be a bit distorted.  But obviously it can be done, I would draw it up but when you start scaling then you have to make assumption as Gossie suggests, ie 2" rib pitch, plus the bit at the tips and in the centre section takes it up to approx. 42" that's not such a problem. 

The formers might be 1 1/2" spacing (4 under the wing if its a 6" chord) but the formers look a bit more spaced out under the pylon than the rear of the fuselage.  Maybe the chord is a little bit more than 6"?
So, loads of assumptions and you could build a model reasonably close, I just thought that if someone had the magazine or knew the model then if I was confident of key dimensions then a pretty accurate copy could be drawn up.  I hadn't looked at it for a while and I do think its a nice model and deserves to be built.

Also, what was the Magazine?  it just says "Aircraft June 1948" at the foot of the page.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »

I realy like his Flying Pencil.Back in 1953 my Dad designed a model called the Raven and he must have seen Alan's because it looks very much the same in alot of ways.I fly a Raven in class B nost. and have done very well with it.Would love to see the plans for Alan's FAI Pencil could be a winner in Vintage FAI.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »

If you wished to you could contact Jim Fullarton 17 Ians Grove Templestowe Lower Victoria 3107    Phone # 03 98502820.

Jim did the model aircraft articles for that Australian magazine back in the '40s and '50s.........He even drew the plans as he was an architect.   He would have the magazine and I should think he could send you a good copy or perhaps arrange a full size plan.

Have in mind if you phone of time change please, as Jim is now 96, but a very good 96.......I always catch up with him when I head back down to Melbourne for a break and a spot of Melbourne culture.

Another person perhaps to contact would be Peter Lloyd at PELAERO.  He has a web site.  I think he is TOTH or PLOYD on this site.   Peter lives not far from Jim and perhaps could assist in arranging a plan.......Peter does sell plans for a very reasonable cost.

Let's know how you go.
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »

Spoke to Jim Fullarton this morning and discussed the Alan King 1948 power model.

The plans on the hargrave site are 1/4 scale but Jim did not draw them up (from memory done by Keith Dunston who was a well know print journalist in Melbourne).

If you wish to build an example them what you scale up will be a fairly accurate representation and a "little poetic licence" will be require to fill in the blanks. There are no fullsize plans in existence.

As a side note: When Alan's effects were being sold off after his death, among the models and equipment sold was an incomplete FAI model for a fully cowled, inverted radial mounted Webra 1.5, possibly build to the rules that were in force in the early 50's that allowed smaller capacity engines to be used (ala the Eliminator circa 1952). Have no idea what happened to it and all I got was a jar of Humbrol Banana oil.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »

That rings a bell.
There was a feature on Alan in Model Aircraft magazine sometime in the mid 1950's - and I think it had a picture of the power model Ployd refers to.

Of course, that's not the model that this thread refers to!

Gliders are a part of me.
I hate trees
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 04:44:01 AM »

Hello all,
Just an update, Mike Glaister, who has drawn up some Australian plans previously has also been talking to Jim Fullerton.  We will eventually get a CAD drawn version.

Incidentally, I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Fullerton in the mid 90's when he was over at Middle Wallop.  I was flying a Alan Lim Joon design in the 8oz wake event and naturally Jim was pleased to see this design in the contest. I managed to win that year too   Smiley  Although the fly off was in a period of lovely air and everyone's model disappeared so it was an eyesight contest.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, I'll keep you posted when the plan is done and if I eventually get down to building it.
Adam

cvasecuk
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:33:54 AM »

I also met Jim that year. I was flying his design and he signed the wing for me. Unfortunately the next year at Woodbury it flew out to sea. It was washed up on Brixham beach a few days later but was unusable.
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: