Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 22, 2019, 07:41:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peanut P51 from reduced comet plan  (Read 2132 times)
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »

My latest peanut is a P51 from the Comet plan obtained in the gallery.  I have reduced Earl Stahls plans, Guillows, Sterling and now a Comet.  The fuse on the comet plan has lots of stringers I decided to keep them all for now.  After final weighing I may decide to cut some of them off.  Construction is 1/32 throughout.  Modifications include my typical adjustable nose button, adjustable elevator and now adjustable ailerons.  The total weight so far is 4.5 grams.  Plan to cover in white ekaski, use EZ dope, and then spray silver.  This one is named the "Joey" and is the final peanut in my goal to make one peanut named after each of my ten grandkids. 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Peanut P51 from reduced comet plan

Bob
sparkle
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »

Grin Interesting work! Especially movable fling surfaces. 
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »

Made some progress on the P51.  The nose button, prop, shaft, bead & washers, and rubber motor weigh in at 5.1 grams.  The frame as is weighs 5.4 grams for a total of 10.5 grams so far.  I hope to keep the canopy, fin and tissue finish under 4.5 grams for a total flying weight of 15 grams.  That would put me right at 0.5 g/sq in wing loading.  We'll see.
Re: Peanut P51 from reduced comet plan

Bob
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 128

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:19:22 AM »

Looking good, Bob!  Do you bend your own T. Gray style prop loops?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

Looking good, Bob!  Do you bend your own T. Gray style prop loops?

Thanks Pit...means alot coming from you.  I had been using O Rings to connect the motor, but after several broke I decided to try the metal connectors.  I bought them online.  Not talented enough to bend my own.

Bob
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »

Started covering the P51 today.  This is my second time using the Ekaski tissue and I definitly like it.  In the past I have always used domestic tissue but will be using Ekaski from here forward.  I attached it with thinned white glue and a brush.  I will be using EZ dope and sprayed acrylic enamel to finish in a silver and red scheme similar to that attached.

Bob
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »

more pics.....   for some reason I can only attach (2) attachments per post??  I was always able to attach (6) in the past?

Bob
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 01:40:39 AM »

The P51 covering is finished.  I used a 50% water 50% EZ Dope mixture brushed on.  The foam ailerons were attached by sandwich gluing two thin pieces of foam over the wire hinges.  I made a mistake in not stiffing the 1/32 rib area where the ailerons were cut in as the tissue shrink pulled the rib quite a bit. It seems I learn something new on every build that I try to remember on the next one.  I plan on keeping the color sprayed on thin so I get the effect of the color scheme while still being able to see the structure beneath.

Bob
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »

After wasting a lot of time trying to get my airbrush to work I ordered some Design Master spray paint to get moving on finishing the P51.  As usual the masking was a pain.  I was pleased with the silver paint and the Design Master does seem to go on much smoother and lighter than other spray enamels I've used.  I plunged a canopy out of a water bottle and test fitted it.  I have yet to figure out how I'm am going to apply lettering and the stars & stripes.  i am leaning toward colored tissue applied with thinned white glue.

Bob
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »

A little more progress on the peanut P51.

Spinner, canopy, markings and removable landing gear all starting to take shape.

So far weight is right at 10 grams (without the landing gear)

Bob
jym6aw6
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »

Great looking P-51...OOPS, make that F-51, Bob. I grew up in a USAF town in the late 50s and remember T-33s and F-86Ls with that hi-viz red-orange scheme flying overhead. The Mustang in your photo must have been one of the last operational ones before they were all retired from service.

Curious about how you made your spinner  Huh . Looks like a florists foam form with paper-mache' strips laid over it, then coated with thin CyA for strength and the form scooped out last.

So much for my guesswork Bob, I leave it to you to tell how it was really done  Smiley . The end result sure does look super, thanks for posting it.

Jim (6aw6) 
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

Jim,

Thanks Jim.  

My last post could have been misleading.  The first couple of photos were of the tissue I was using for the insignia and had nothing to do with the spinner construction.

You are spot on regarding how I made the spinner.  I started making spinners this way because I didn't have a tool setup to turn balsa and I could never get the plunged method to work well.  I am getting better at plunge molding canopy's but the spinners never come out right.  First I shape the spinner with floral foam; add tissue with white glue, let it dry and then cover it (sometimes more than once) with CA glue.  Once the CA is hard I hollow out the green foam and cut the hardened tissue spinner to fit over the prop. If I am using a rear adjustable nose button I fill in the gaps and glue it hard. Otherwise I only tack it on so I can remove it to adjust the front adjustable nose buttons. I am using a front adjustable button on the mustang so the spinner is only tacked on.  These spinners are very light weight and easy to cut and fit, but can pose an problem if it hits something hard on landing.

As for the color scheme, I found it on the Net and liked the bright Red.  Since the Tuskegee Red tail has been used so much I thought I would try the USAF version.

Bob

Bob
miloman
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »

Bob; great looking 61. I'm new to Peanuts. How did you make the spinner?….Milo
jym6aw6
Gold Member

Kudos: 10