Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 08:06:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Drela Peanut F4U Corsair  (Read 2777 times)
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 07:44:44 AM »

Me likey the silver; looks like the sort of wear / paint chipping one might find along a panel line.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 09:49:34 PM »

Thanks Wordguy...
Life got in the way of working on the Corsair for a bit...but back at the work.  Got the numbers on the fuselage side blow the cockpit.  I made a foam form for the canopy plug. Would have worked if I'd gotten the plastic evenly heated, wrinkled and destroyed the plug.  So I had to make a wooden plug.  I didn't have any good thin plastic but found a clear plastic sheet off a christmas present.  A little thick, but worked to give me a good canopy after a few tries. I made one and the closer I looked I decided I needed to try again. 

I'm using Aleene's Tacky Glue to attach the canopy. Dries clear and holds very well.  You can get it at WallyWorld (WalMart). Wink
Here's the pics...
Tom
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Drela Peanut F4U Corsair

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »

I like Aleena's as well.  For plastic, you may be able to find clear plastic picnic plates without an embossed logo in the middle at your local grocery store (my local store is "King Soopers").  Since the plates are already made of a material that is vac. formed, they seem to work well for canopies for A/C to about 20" in span.  Unfortunately, many brands have a logo embossed in the middle, so you may have some searching to do.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »

I believe the SOLO brand plates do not have a logo in the center - and they come in at least clear, red, blue, black -if you want to make spinners, etc.  This is not a bad source of plastic (cheap) for smaller canopies.

--george

wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »

Yeah, I think George is right - Solo.  And here, green (for a tinted canopy...) is also available.  For my vacformer, the square plates seem to fit best.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 09:58:44 AM »

Don't sweat the embossed logo if its not in color... it will go away when you heat it.

The Threadkiller!
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 07:15:41 PM »

Kinda lost my mojo for a bit.  Finally got the canopy framework applied using blue tissue.  Made the propblock and propshaft.  Using a Peck nylon button for the prop bearing.  Gonna print a radial engine to mount on the propblock. Didn't have a small prop, so I'm ordering some Peck 4.5" props. 

Here's the latest pictures.

Sky9pilot
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up