Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 11, 2020, 08:31:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fairchild F71  (Read 706 times)
Brinkie
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »

Hi,

After searching for a plan In the "Looking for a plan"Area I, have found enough information on the Internet, Again many thanks to Lars from Khee-Kha in Alaksa who is overloading me with plans, drawing, pictures etc. on the plane.

I have taken off.. transforming the 3-view into a building plan. In the meanwhile I'm trying to use modern techniques as 3D-Cad and 3D-printing for the building progress. I know a lot of you are not favorite of this, but I'm thinking drawing skills are skills as well, and as long as the model is not printed in Balsa... Grin

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Fairchild F71
Fairchild F71
Fairchild F71
Fairchild F71
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »

Those 3D forms are interesting. How big is this model?
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 99

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »

That is totally awesome. Do you have your own 3D printer, or did you have a shop turn those for you?
Monz
Platinum Member

Kudos: 152

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »

Brinkie, that is so cool! Satisfaction factor x 1000%  Cool
Brinkie
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 04:01:59 PM »

3D-printers are priceless, unfortunatly almost unpayable for the results. Tongue
Lucky for me I changed profession this summer Cheesy, I'm a teacher now on a technical education institute. I have to do testing on a printer which we are building with students in series of 6. I offered my boss to do the testing at home Wink

To be honest, the fixture for bending the trailing edges into the right shape works great. The assembly fixture still needs attention. One of the things I'm testing is the accuracy of the printers.
The supplier advertise with accuracy within 0.05mm. I'm in the highest printing level still in the range of 0.2mm. That is to much for positioning the ribs.

Gerard
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »

I offered my boss to do the testing at home Wink
I like it. Sounds like a good boss! It would never have occurred to me that 3D printers could be used like that, rather than just for making actual model parts. It surely opens up a whole world of possibilities. Perhaps kits will soon come with jigs and made to measure building boards on similar lines.
(I really like your choice of plane too by the way.)
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »

Great subject.  The US Navy had at least one which was called the XJ2Q.  While it was still brand new, they put it at the disposal of Charles Lindbergh to haul family and friends between the 1929 National Air Races in Cleveland and a private airstrip belonging to Assistant Secretary of the Navy David Ingalls (WW1 ace) which was near to a home where he and Anne Morrow Lindbergh stayed during the races.  The hangar that housed the XJ2Q on the Ingalls' farm was still standing in 2012.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Fairchild F71

Mark
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »

Great idea about making jigs. It looks like you are tooling up for AFTF production!

Please keep us updated with new developements
dputt7
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »

Like Pete I would never have thought of making jigs that way, looking forward to seeing more of your ideas, Great work.
Brinkie
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 04:23:14 AM »

Great pics and background information Mark Smiley Thanks! I'm not sure how fast this project will run. But I will keep sending updates. Cheesy
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 04:58:19 AM »

Great stuff.  Can't see anything " offensive" about the idea at all.  Surely over the years there have been hosts of gimmicks and dodges introduced that help us all build models.  But I am very easily impressed by any technology being so dim in that respect. I suppose in many cases the jig will be a one off and unless you have a printer for other purposes prohibitively expensive?

That is also a lovely original for a model. Is the 3 view readily available please.  It looks as though one could most build from it as is?

PS.  Sorry - had not realised there was another thread on this in looking for plans.  Looking at the one on this thread it has obviously been enhanced.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:11:31 AM by DavidJP » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: