Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 10:14:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P30 Blues  (Read 610 times)
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »

Forecast this morning called for 3-4mph winds increasing @ 12:00. This should have been a great day for trimming...except that when I get to the field instead of 3-4 I was buffeted with 8-10mph. I damaged a couple of planes and packed up, so I'll think back upon my P30 competition now that the season is over.

The highlights? 4 contests entered, none completed. 4 P30's built, all lost. I did manage a tie for 2nd in our last contest with only logging two flights, both 90 sec. max.

Lost my Square Eagle OOS. Left my Majestick @ Lost Hills, saw it land, could not find. Built a rolled tube "P. Flamingo" of combination of designs. Got it trimmed and left it on the field, literally...ouch. I went back that evening to find it ...gone.  Built another fuse of my own design and borrowed ones to put together a P30 in 24 hours. I called it P. Panther.  I finished it the morning of the contest and was thinking I might be able to trim it out to enter that day.  Turns out it is getting easier to trim now and I was able to get it ready in about an hour.  The mass launch was OK with 100 seconds on less than full winds, I think I was 4th. I did not have time to install a DT and tried tone it down a bit I didn't want to lose another P30.  Winds were forecast to really pick up in the afternoon so I planned to get in my 3 flight right away. #1 max 142 seconds.  #2 max never came down. It caught a thermal about a minute in to the flight and just circled, slowly drifting in the increasing breeze. I followed it on foot for 15 minutes when deterred by a fence I was unable to keep up with it and it floated OOS. I continued on it's path hoping somehow it came down. After almost 2 miles I ran out of accessible field.  So some 2 hours after I launched I made it back to the flight line. My comrades had sent out search parties and I was spotted about a mile out. By the time I had gotten back things were pretty much blown out and many were out on long retrieves. Several models were lost that had DT's including Ding's who was tied with me for 2nd place. All we needed was a 63 second flight to take 1st, but alas it was not to be. Fellow HPA member Ates took home top honors and 1st place for the season! Exciting stuff and I learned that flying strategy is very important on contest day. 
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

Swarthog,

I'm very sorry for all your lost planes!  You already know not to fly without DT, and the other issues, so no need to belabor that.  But I'm surprised you damaged planes in 8-10 mph winds.  I think our friends in the UK consider that a good day!  I don't, but you should be able to fly (and retrieve!) in those conditions.

If you didn't make it up to Oregon this year (perhaps you did, and I don't know or remember your name from your username) you should for sure come up in 2015.  Great fields, usually good weather with little-to-moderate winds, and a great ability to chase off-field (on other fields!).  I had a P30 DT failure this year, but thanks to our club prez, Glen Grell, who was chasing for somebody else, my P30 was found 3 miles away.  (That was a man-to-man flyoff of the last 2 competitors.  We both were OOS before the max time, and I was OOS first, so got 2nd.) 

As another example of the excellent chasing conditions, when I was looking for that P30--not knowing it didn't DT--the farmer for that field (across the road from where we were flying) came by and picked me up on his 4-wheeler to help me look!  We toured a couple of fields, but obviously to no avail, since it had gone much farther.

Here's a link showing the field we flew on this year.  It's the one just NE of Ridge Dr. and Seven Mile Lane:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH2#Y3A9NDUuMzUyMTU0fi0xMjIuNjY4ODQ2Jmx2bD00JnN0eT1yJnE9VGFuZ2VudCUyQyUyME9S

You sound like a prolific builder, so our contests would give you plenty of events to fly.  You can come early for trimming if need be.

--Bill

Good air don't care!
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 01:41:43 AM »

Whenever a plane flies away I applaud, as that is the ultimate. Other mishaps, well I'm learning. I do not have years of building experience so I'm trying to move my learning curve along, each one gets easier. 11 builds this year so far plus dozens of gliders, no I don't watch much TV.

Since I started going to competitions I found a real need to know the wind speed so I could correlate performance data.  To that end I have a wind meter and I can tell you that 8-10 is lousy day in my book. On a contest day a P30 or larger would be OK but not my 2bits and embryos, for example; Test flight FA Moth 250 winds. It launched up at a nice angle and then flew backwards tail first not turning one but till power fell off then driven into the ground, however no damage. Wing folded on my Skokie due to unfortunate wind blown tip landing and my JA Special had the LG ripped off....yet again.  Easy fixes.  

I have yet to decide what I want to focus on for next season but I'm thinking a tracking device of some kind is in the cards as I've seen too many models lost even with DT's (including my Square Eagle).  My Dad lives right over the Hill from you guys in Bend.  It's nice country but a long ways away, yet you never know.

Edit: Note the photo, no wind the entire 40 minute drive over to the field and then I arrive @ 8:10 AM...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: P30 Blues
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: