Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 29, 2020, 12:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SIG Mr. Mulligan  (Read 8159 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:21:33 AM »

Ok, the Bristol is nearly done, so I was wondering what to build next... There are a million kits/plans I want to tackle before I die, but this one leapt out at me. I bought the kit at the Barkston Nats a few years ago, and it's another one that I had a stab at when I was 12 or so and made a complete dog's breakfast of... If I've managed to improve my skills over the years,(debatable!) I'm hoping to do a better job this time round! As it's just another fun build and not for Kit Scale, I'll probably hinge the tail surfaces and go for a painted finish. Brown MJ70 for power; possibly with a 6cc tank, as the huge radial cowling does it no favours in that respect. I do remember seeing Butch Hadland's with a standard Telco going well, though...

Back when I have something interesting.

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »

Just found the old copy of AM with Dave Day's excellent reviews of both the Mulligan and Monocoupe kits. I see what he meant about the die cutting! As this is another build purely for fun and not for Kit Scale, I will be replacing most of the kit parts. The "identical" ribs differ in depth by nearly 1/16" in some cases... Nothing terrible, but annoying all the same.

Cheers,

Dan.
Ex Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »

Looking forward to seeing this one Dan...

Cheers

Andrew
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:11:59 PM »

Please post pictures of the build!  I built one of those when I was a kid, and yes, "Dog's breakfast" is a pretty good summation of what I built.

I wish I'd saved the plans -- it probably makes a great scratch-build if you can select the wood for yourself.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »

Dan,
       I have also built this one and was blessed with a good kit with light wood and accurate die cutting. It weighed about 45 grams and U still have it. The undercarriage has taken a hammering but the model has stood up well. If I remember rightly Butch had CO2 power and it performed very well in the MT hangar at Abingdon when the RAF still owned the Station . I was the MTO at the time so clearing the hnagar was not a problem.
I will follow the build with interest.
Ricky
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »

Spent a good couple of hours poring over the plan today. As it's a build for fun and not Kit Scale, I'm probably going to go for laminated tail surface outlines. I'm not too fussed about saving weight at the back end, given the CO2 motor and whacking big cowl up front, but laminated outlines just look so much better and more scale-like!

I saw Butch Hadland's superb rendition of this kit flying perfectly under Telco power in the Barkston hangar at the F/F Nats many years ago, so my planned Brown MJ70 should be adequate power. Still pondering a painted finish or chalked Esaki, though!

Cheers,

Dan.
plastic convert
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »

Hello Dan,

I'm Jerry and new to this site. I will also be following along to gain knowledge as CO2 is my interest.
    Looking forward to the build.

J.R.   
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 144

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »

Really looking forward to this one Dan. Got to love a Mr Mulligan in any scale, and as the original was so shiny and white I'm sort of hoping you go for a painted finish. Sure it will look great whatever you do though!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 60

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »

Still pondering a painted finish or chalked Esaki, though!

Please, Dan - not chalk. I echo Pete. A light spraying ("Painted" sounds like thick dope and a brush!). And I for one would be interested to see the weights after each coat.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »

OK, No chalk! Whilst spraying the Bristol markings, I found that my fave Tamiya Acrylic can be thinned with cellulose thinners. If it works with the gloss variety, that could be the way to go...

Cheers,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »

That's encouraging about the Tamiya acrylic paint. I'd never have thought of thinning it with cellulose. Could be very useful information, what with the steadily declining quality control at Humbrol. What ratio of thinners/paint did you use on the Bristol?
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:12:36 AM »

Sorry to digress slightly Dan but I have used the Revell acrylics with some success but never with cellulose thinners. Never occurred to me!  Has anyone done so? Only reason for using Revell is that it was easier to get hold of than Tamiya. Might give it a go and I also have  few phials of Vellejo too.

A chum of mine has a Monocoupe rubber powered, which is now quite old but flys very well so the Mr M is sure to as well and CO2 presumably will be a better power source?
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 06:20:24 AM »

i built the SIG MULLIGAN years ago and it was a nice build but very heavy.  if i did it again cut the weight in half by using light wood, foam fewer stringers etc.

jim
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »

I used the cellulose to clean a jar and noticed it mixed so well, I tried spraying it. I used about 60/40 for spraying the Bristol.

I'll be paring weight where I can, but I'm not being paranoid. It's not so critical with CO2 and it'll be trimmed for realistic flight, not out and out duration. Anything up to around 55g should be fine...

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »

Change of mind on the powerplant front. I realised I'd got a Brown B100 in need of a home, after sorting a small head leak. Between the Telco and the GM120 in size, the B100 is probably my fave CO2 motor. Not much heavier than a Telco or MJ70, yet will swing a 7 inch prop if needed. Handy with the MMs' huge cowl! It's always better to run a slightly bigger motor at lower power than have a smaller motor at high revs with the attendant icing/prop kicking and hissing and spitting that that invites!

Cheers,

Dan.
DaveWC
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »

I built one as well about 30 years ago, mine turned out heavy look for every piece you can save weight on.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »

An interesting "twist" on the Howard/Mulligan theme is the brutish 'Mr. Dickenson' out of Santa Paula airport in California.  It is a homebuilt based on a Howard, with shorter wings, big engine and Mulligan accents...

It is registered as a Dickenson Howard DGA21, according to FAA records.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: SIG Mr. Mulligan
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:55:10 PM by IndoorFlyer » Logged
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 04:19:24 AM »

I'd seen pics, but had no further details. Looks like a brute indeed!!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »

Bristol finally finished, so I've made a start on the MM! Laminated outlines for the tail surfaces pinned down and drying and I'll hopefully get a fuselage side done before the day is out!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »

One side nailed down and drying. I used Ambroid for most of it, pre-cementing all joints with a 50/50 thinned mixture. The only exception was the joint between the sharply curved top longeron and the forward sheet part. The longeron was split down the middle for an inch or so, filled with aliphatic and then the joint made. This method will hold the curve without inbuilt stresses that could deform the side when it's removed from the board. When I first attempted this, back in the late '70s, I didn't have the patience to do such things! Any improvement in my models is due to increasing patience, rather than increasing skills...

Cheers,

Dan.

danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »

Both fus. sides built. I was intending to build the basic box tonight, but seeing as I've just drunk my own body weight in cider at a 50th birthday bash, picking up a scalpel would probably not be wise...

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »

The more I think about it, (Cider notwithstanding) the more I'm tempted to do the 30" Dumas Mr.Mulligan immediately after this one. Little and large, so to speak! Possibly for the intended rubber, possibly for a GM300. Hmmmmm...

Cheers,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »

Sounds like a good plan; looking forward to pics! And I really like that thuggish but slightly unhinged looking Mr Dickenson. Funny to think of someone looking at Mr Mulligan and thinking, 'Hmmm, not quite butch enough- let's beef it up a bit!'

(Btw Dan, how do you still maintain that sound level of literacy when full of cider? I learned a while ago not to trust myself to type coherently whilst even slightly 'refreshed'. Impressed!)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »

Dogged determination and years of practice Pete! I am a donor card carrier, but God help anyone who gets my bits inserted...

Cheers!

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »

Nowt terribly exciting, but here's progress so far...

Cheers,

Dan.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: