Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 11:59:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Latécoère 28 Peanut- Build  (Read 1613 times)
Zorg
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:40:05 PM »

I came across the plans for the Latécoère 28 mail-plane in the plan gallery a few months ago, and thought I'd take a stab at building it; the plan has 2 variants, the 28 1-H variant having the larger tail, which may be a good thing...   It reminded me of stories I read as a kid, so it's a lot of fun so far!

Here are some shots of the beast:  most of the framing done, and mocked up - still needs the finish sanding. I cheated on the wingtips and used solid formers (the plans call for laminate) but I did use 3 layers laminated up for the outline of the fin/rudder.   I'm currently trying to deal with the windshield, something that always seems to be harder than it should!  The last picture is a rough template of the windshield - it seems to work ok, so I'll cut a -hopefully- final 'clean' version of it...   Not sure what to do with all the side windows yet (these things were also used for passenger service) - I might just paint them on unless I can find some much lighter acetate than what's on hand.

I've been out of the model-building business for about 20 years, so this is a lot of fun...   This forum is a wonderful thing, so many great ideas floating around out there! And the range of interesting airplanes to build is amazing! 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Latécoère 28 Peanut- Build
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:43:01 AM »

Looks great!  Please post more pics as you progress.

For very light weight windows, I've used the thin, clear wrapping that florists use for their flowers.  Sort of a double benefit:  light weight windows for me and brownie points for me when I give wifey flowers.

Don
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »

The graphic arts folks still use acetate for ... Huh? and I've found 8.5 x 11 pads of...50 (?) sheets down to .003" in thickness. MUCH cheaper than buying sheets singly.  Believe I get mine from Blick Art Materials.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
glue_finger
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:53 AM »

That profile is really classy, it just looks so Golden Age...  Nice subject to model.  
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »

Zorg, where in Canada are you located??
B

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Zorg
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:59 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!  I particularly like Don's 'flowers and windows' idea, since my attempts at printing tissue have led to a few recriminations: apparently the next several print jobs came off the printer with faint aircraft registration numbers smeared across them, so flowers are probably a really good idea right about now! 

BG, i'm back east for the time being - so no flying until maybe April, if i'm lucky!   It's been -20 and blowing half a gale for the last week...

No great progress on the plane today, but i did figure out a workaround to make more or less the right fonts for the covering; and fixed up the nose cowling a bit.

Zorg
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »

Managed a fair bit of tinkering today, so some progress to show for it: covered the tail & shrank it with methyl hydrate, covered most of the wing, made the radiator & bent the wire for the landing gear...  I also messed around with the back of the engine cowling, and (hopefully!) sorted out the windows down the side, although the proof of that will be when i cover the rest of the fuselage and it holds together...  or doesn't!

I was also finding that covering the top of the wing was looking extra-fussy at the root, so i added a  partial "partner" rib to the outboard side of the root rib; it's the join with the cabin fairing/frame that's the tough spot, but an easy fix - in retrospect i could have avoided it all by making the original root rib identical to the rest.

Some photos: picture 1, clockwise around, is the wing (not done yet...), radiator, landing gear wire (not trimmed!) tail feathers and fuselage;  in the back is the mask for the side windows (the red strips).  picture 2 is the window material with the mask template mocked up on it;  and number 3 is the radiator, which turned out sort of ok despite being at the small end of what my fingers are capable of- extra thumbs and all that.   Since it fits underneath the engine just in front of the landing gear, i suspect that this is a part that i will get plenty of practise at re-building!
Re: Latécoère 28 Peanut- Build
Zorg
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 12:09:56 AM »

Progress is slow, but it's still happening!  Most of the bits are covered, with the exception of the top of the fuselage, which has to wait until the wing is on - the wing could be done in two sections, but keeping the main spar in one piece seems like a good idea...  (I may live to regret that statement!)

Some pictures:

1 - turning 17mm dia. balsa wheels on the lathe is probably overkill...
2 - but it works nicely!  the balsa is held on with a small spot of CA, which holds well for turning but pops off easily at the end.  This also works for much larger & heavier things too, like bowls.
3 - painting the hub - if it were not for the cats that make me put everything away when i'm done, I might be a contender for 'messiest workbench' !
4 - all the subassemblies as they stand now - they need one more coat of dope to seal the lettering on.  The tissue job has a few warts and wrinkles, but I'll plead lack of recent practice  Grin
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:17:20 AM »

Nice work Zorg.

What is the weight so far?
Zorg
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 12:20:41 AM »

Thanks!  My weighing setup is a bit hokey, but it seems to be a tad over 6g as it stands - so it won't be a lightweight by the time it's all done with prop and rubber and struts and so on.  I'm happy that I stuck with the plain light grey tissue rather than doing the aluminum paintjob on the wings and tail: that could have gotten heavy!

The tissue is dollar store stuff, but it's pretty decent (all wrinkles are my fault, not the tissue's!), with two coats of 50/50 thinned dope all around.

Cheers,

Z.
Zorg
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 11:03:20 PM »

Here are a few more pictures of things as they stand now - there is still quite a bit to be done, including touching up some paint, installing 4 more struts (there are lots of struts - 12 in total on the original!  However I can't find any photos showing any bracing wires, so that's good.), making up a nose block, and carving a prop - which could take a while: over several years i have tried 5 or 6 times to make a propeller from scratch, but they have all gone straight from the workbench to the garbage can. A wood prop would be nice, however, since the plane is almost in balance as it is:  much more weight up front and it would need tail weight - which isn't that big a deal, however it is starting to feel distincly brick-like so i'm keen to minimize ballast if possible.  I haven't weighed it yet, but it will definitely be on the heavy side.

Anyhow, here's the photos:

1) partly assembled, showing the upper 'deck' which fairs in the wing
2) only _some_ of the struts!
3) one of the shock absorbers - i should probably make spares.
4) tail and skid detail
5) getting there - showing the outrageous exhaust stacks!  They look like they would have been seriously in the way of the pilot's vision, but they certainly add character.

Cheers!   Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: