Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 10:02:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 41.6 grams, pretty close, but no Don DeLoach  (Read 657 times)
bentodd
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »

This is lightest P-30 I have built so far at 41.6 grams.  It is a Don DeLoach Polecat MkX.  from his plans and using his laser cut rib kit.  The laser cut ribs saved me hours of work and my ribs would have never been as accurate.  One bonus is the ribs included extra cutouts to act as supports when building.  Cut the ribs out with the supports, there are little tabs to set the angle of the LE and TE and build away.   The supports then pop off when the wing is done.

plan       my plane
wing          13.6       14.5
fuselage     13.3       12.7
prop assy    7.6         10.0
stab           3.0         3.2
beacon       3.0

total          40.5         41.6
all in grams

I used hobby store balsa.  The best I could find was 7.5 lb/ft^3 for the fuselage and and 7.1 lb/ft^3 for wing sheeting.  Glued most stuff together with thinned down Titebond.  One place I saved weight was in the pylon by making it out of purple foam at 1.9 grams.  This fin is also foam, from a take-out box.  My wing is a gram overweight.  I used some 0.3 mil Mylar and surprised it added 3.8 grams.  I will claim the wrinkles are there for turbulation.  Not sure how DeLoach got the prop assembly down to 7.6 grams.  On the positive side, it might have moved the wing up a little.

Now if I could catch thermals like they say Don can.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
41.6 grams, pretty close, but no Don DeLoach
41.6 grams, pretty close, but no Don DeLoach
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:00:42 PM »

You are in good shape.
With a tracker it's a good weight.
Here's the thing: you can build another fuselage with lighter wood and make a switch.

Thermals cure a lot of bad things. If it will do 2.5 minutes at 7AM you're in Don's ballpark.
bentodd
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:38:06 PM »

Got out early today, before the wind picked up.  The Polecat was easy to trim.  First few flights with with a few hundred turns to dial out the stall, then added more down thrust and right thrust as I upped the turns.  At about a 1000 turns I was getting a nice climb and cruise.  The plane was easy to trim out.  It also makes it easier with screws to turn to set the horiz stab and down and side thrust.  I fly on a small field and at 1000 turns it was threatening to fly over a busy road so I couldn't go for any higher turns or longer flights.  ( I think I need to look into Flyguy's RC rig)

One thing I need to work on is the nose plug.  I have to be very careful to keep down and right thrust right.  Will start another thread on this topic.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 41.6 grams, pretty close, but no Don DeLoach
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: