Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 08, 2019, 11:17:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tissue Sharkmouth  (Read 911 times)
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Topic starter
Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »

In repairing an old P-39 warhorse for the umpteenth time I decided for a little bit of a festive look with a P-400 sharkmouth motif. After the base colors were down I took a side view of a P-400 with the look I wanted from the Wings Palette website and using a graphic program I know absolutely nothing about I fumbled to a cropped photo of the nose alone from the wing leading edge to the spinner tip. Printing this (it took a couple of tries) to the scale of the model I had the sharkmouth at the size I wanted. Laying and taping down a piece of Esaki tissue over the print, I traced (lightly) the outlines of that fearsome snarl. I had to do a little fudging to extend the mouth a bit to reach under the nose to the centerline on the bottom.

I tried a bunch of coloring techniques using enamels, templates, paint brushes, felt tip pens and rather than go over all the failures let me described what worked best. I first drew the red lips with a red felt tip marker. Next came the black mouth interior that outlined the teeth. Using a thin felt tip pen I touched up the black area and made all the teeth sharp as the big black marker was too crude. The tissue sharkmouth was then turned over, pinned to the board and given 2 lite coats of white enamel on the back----not much as I did not want a stiff and crispy piece of tissue. Flipping it back over the white on the back not only made the teeth the correct color but also brightened up the red lips. The eyes were made from white bond paper sprayed with matte Krylon to stop the paper from allowing the felt tip marker to bleed all over. The eyes were made with the same red marker and trimmed with the small black one and carefully cut out.

The sharkmouth was painted on the back with a dilute white glue solution, the model spritzed with a mist of water and the sharkmouth put in place and scooted around. The wrinkles were tugged out and pressed down and the top of the sharkmouth given a spritz of water too such that the whole tissue was wet on both sides. Leaving it to dry, it all snuggled right down. The eyes were given the same treatment.

The photos show my numerous attempts to get the sharkmouth right and the tracing pattern I used along with the pens. I purposely have held the nose to catch the light glare to illustrate that the whole affair is hand done---you can see the pen marks (especially in the black)---but then the original on the full size P-400 was handpainted too. I wish I had taken the time to run a red marker around the edges of the eyes to kill that tiny white edge but I didn't think of it until they were down. Oh well, it is a mass launch warhorse.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Tissue Sharkmouth
Tissue Sharkmouth
Tissue Sharkmouth
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to post this Tom, it's much appreciated I'm sure it will come in handy on a future project.
tabby505
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »

Good looking shark mouth. I have a old P-40 I'll try than on.
thanks for sharing.
                            Paul
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »

Hey Tom nice work and I applaud you efforts to use your hands and not the mouse to produce what I call a pretty damn good looking set of choppers. I have been printing esaki for myself and customers since we got sweet desktop printers at work. That was 25+yrs ago, I am not bragging about how long, just saying how long my models have looked "vectorized and pixelated". Recently I gave it all up to use my hands and improve my eye-hand coordination. It is a hard task because I have OCD and have had to learn to love imperfection. I figure my wife certainly has.... Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: