Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 15, 2019, 05:44:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Not crashed, but eaten!  (Read 6139 times)
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 04:57:11 AM »

Can't compete, but I've seen a really pretty stick and tissue scale model fought over by two undisciplined dogs. Owners deserved dope slaps. On their way back, they still didn't have those dogs on leashes. Have seen a picture of the results. The builder's smile was very odd!

My own story is more mundane. The mice chewed up a framed up model I had.

Evil mice. Once went after one in a big sink with a long knife. No joy on that one, nor was it good for the knife. Exciting, though. Managed to kill one with a cereal box once. No luck with the rat I was face to face with when I opened a closet. No shoes and no weapon, so I chickened out. Grrrr...

Managed to trap the possum that fell out of the ceiling in the basement, before it found any models. Note to self: never leave garage door open.

I have been told that if you use moth balls to plasticize your dope, the cows won't chew them. I don't know if it's true.

Boomerang15
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:01 AM »

My MicroMozzie rocket glider (very small micromaxx powered 'çhucky' style). Caught a thermal and logged over 4 minutes. Local club rules say you must bring the model back for it to count as a record.

Searched all over the area I thought it came down, carefully avoiding the bit with the curled up brown snake (definitely to be avoided).

Couldn't find it, so I had a careful closer look at the snake.

It was curled up tight around my glider- must have thought it was some sort of sparrow or finch.

I let the record go...
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 03:58:15 AM »

Searched all over the area I thought it came down, carefully avoiding the bit with the curled up brown snake (definitely to be avoided).

Couldn't find it, so I had a careful closer look at the snake.

It was curled up tight around my glider- must have thought it was some sort of sparrow or finch.

I let the record go...
You needed WD40:
http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/06/28/40-weird-wonderful-uses-wd-40  (number 39)
DaveWC
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 07:36:35 AM »

Not eaten but we used to have a 4' Ball Python that would escape his cage from time to time. One morning I walked into my workshop and he was draped over the top wing of my 2X Mooney Jungmann from tip to tip the landing gear was completely flat because of his 4 pound weight ! What to do, I turned the light off and walked away I went back an hour later and he was off the Jungmann with no damage at all, I am still amazed his weight was so evenly spread that it didn't crush the fragile sticks and tissue. Had I tried to pick him up he would have latched on and destroyed the model.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »

My sister had my Dad's two Taibi Powerhouses in the rafters in her garage. They lived in a desert part of Southern California. A few years ago, I finally had enough room at home to get them, but when we took them down, the mice had turned both of them into piles of balsa shavings. Literally nothing salvageable except for the metal parts. Too bad, as they were fine flying airplanes.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Big Dave
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »

In '89 I had a GeeBee R2 fuselage all framed up, sitting in the garage.  One day after work I went out to work on it, and it was nowhere to be found.  I looked everywhere, no plane. The plans and glue and such was sitting in it's normal spot, but no plane.  After thinking I was crazy I started looking deeper and found a couple of small balsa scraps with dog bites in them. Apparently my dog had the entire fuse for a snack, which was the same size he was.  I've never gone back to rebuild the GB.
Dave

Two minutes is a long time!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »

Not crashed but smashed !

Had my Guillows Arrow framed up but it was smashed on the work bench by a home burgler. I filed it on my insurance claim so I bought another kit. That was when I was really bummed out in the old neighborhood.  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Sweden Sweden

So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »

About ten years ago I used the living room table for building a stick n' tissue airplane. One morning I discovered that that was not a smart thing to do since one of my kittens had tried to eat the wing, but it proved to be "a bit" more than she could chew. (There were small toothmarks all over the edges of the wing and on many ribs.) Then, when she found out that she couldn't bite it into submission, she had stomped all over the wing, ripping all the tissue and also broken almost all the spars and ribs. - And I found her sleeping in the middle of the mess, exhausted after what must have been a long and hard battle. Smiley

Brg

Pops
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »

Ah, brings back a memory!  Had just finished the wings of my first  10' glider in latter '50s.  Slid the wings together, checked for warps ..  and got called to dinner so left it on floor of the front room  .   A little later became aware of a strange sound.... 'pop ... pop ... pop' - went to investigate and found the cat doing a happy clog dance along the whole length of the wing to burst  the tissue panels

Revenge was sweet a few months later when I made an unsuccessful attempt to fly microfilm-covered indoor models.  When you lift film off the water on a wire frame it has to be left to age;  a cat running through said frame is not happy......   ha!
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Sweden Sweden

So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 11:07:30 AM »

Haha, I can vividly imagine that cat going "WTH??? 'eeeeeelp!!!" Grin

Brg

Pops
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »

My goose got me.
I'd just finished a new set of wings on my first plane, stepped out on the porch, tested the glide. Perfect, but now the plane was closer to her than I. I use the back yard and a ladder now.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Not crashed, but eaten!
Re: Not crashed, but eaten!
yagua
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Argentina Argentina

and still trying!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »

Goose stew?  Wink

27º19'54.94'' S