Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 16, 2020, 09:14:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vector Director  (Read 2200 times)
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »

Has anyone built and flown a Stan Hill Vector Director?
I'm building an FAI version at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone has braved building and flying one of these oddballs? Some trimming advice would be most welcomed! The build article says it will fly left or right safely, but the plan shows left stab tilt...so that's what I've done. The original was powered by an Oliver Tiger, but I am using a Super Tigre Diesel...because I have one.  Smiley

Cheers,
Nigel
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Vector Director
Vector Director
Vector Director
Vector Director

My ex-wife hates airplanes
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »

Nigel, I can't wait to see this go.Great work,I've read about it but have never seen one.What are going to use for the D\T? Please bring it down to the Vintage FAI contest in Oregon.Is it an era 3 or 4 with that ST in it?Once again nice job.   Bruce
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:57 PM »

Very nice work.  Be sure to put up some pics when completed please.
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »

Bruce, It's still Era 3 as it's a 1960 Super Tigre....it says so right on the case!  Grin I'm using a fuse for D/T. I thought about a two function timer for a quick D/T but it was becoming complicated with this layout. Don't think I can make Albany this August I'm afraid. I'm still shooting for attending in September though.......

Gossie, I will post pics when it's complete!

Thanks for the nice comments. This thing is just too weird and awesome not to build it!  Smiley

I have a few older 2.5cc diesels that need airplanes to put them on. This ST, an Enya 15D, an MVVS and a Rivers. The MVVS came back with my father from the 1967 world champs in Prague.

I think the next diesel model might be a Don Wensel "Lighting Rod" 

Cheers,
Nigel

glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »

I popped over to Nigel's last night for a chat, and got to handle the almost finished Vector Director. It is a superb piece of work, and the pictures barely do it justice!
Not bringing it to the Vintage FAI in August is - well, it's almost a crime against humanity..........

Kidnapping, or sabotaging the R/C Glider Tow Nigel's planning on going to instead are options, but I may need to enlist some help.  Wink

Gliders are a part of me.
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »

I popped over to Nigel's last night for a chat, and got to handle the almost finished Vector Director. It is a superb piece of work, and the pictures barely do it justice!
Not bringing it to the Vintage FAI in August is - well, it's almost a crime against humanity..........

Kidnapping, or sabotaging the R/C Glider Tow Nigel's planning on going to instead are options, but I may need to enlist some help.  Wink
Why is it that all the really good events fall on the same weekend? I have to attend the aero-tow event since we are hosting it!

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:14 PM »

I bet the Aero-Tow isn't on Friday, but the Vintage FAI is.

So, a few days f/f in Oregon, culminating in the Vintage FAI on Friday, home Friday evening, then 2 days of R/C glider.
I'm not seeing a clash there at all, although it does sound pretty tiring!

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »

Nigel,we only get to fly Vintage FAI power once a year and we have the biggest group of fliers in the country.If there is one meet you should not miss it is this one.(doing my best, hope this helps John) Also your an awesome builder and it would be big plus to have you join in all the fun.(That's it John that's all I have)  Cheesy Undecided Wink
john thompson
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 03:59:02 AM »

Nigel . Grand looking model. Bob Owston over here has got one , more modestly powered . I have seen it fly, but very steady at Chobham. JB knows all about this very smooth and flat flying site !
Where does all the dust go in your workshop , if you have a secret on this, please let me know ! 
One thing does come to mind , how does one hold the model for launching ? Where the timer is placed, with a hand in front of the wing for starting, looks a little perilous to me ?
Good Luck with it ,
John
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »

It's a shame the two meets are on the same weekend this year. Last year they one after the other. Nice try John, but the aero-tow meet is on Friday as well!  Grin

Bruce, wonderful effort on your part!  Cool I really wish I could come again this year but I have already committed to the other event.  :'( Shame because by August I should have this one as well as Marty's Dads "FAI Pussycat" ready to go. Both models are at the covering stage and I will cover them at the same time.

John T, "very steady" is encouraging! As for the dust......It's not always this clean. I had finished doing all the shaping and sanding on this model and had a good clean up just prior to taking these pictures. Launching the model has been considered. John B and I pondered the issue the other night. It will take some figuring out to be sure. The plans actually show the timer located on the right side immediately behind the engine, mounted 90 degrees to normal or in a vertical position, with the fuel tank behind. As you see, I have moved it to a more conventional location on the left side.

Cheers,
Nigel     

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »

A Vintage FAI League using all the Tangent OR. dates could be the way to go I think.
Other than that, kidnapping it is, then   Cheesy

Chobham, ah yes, what happy memories that name brings. For my North West friends, Chobham is like Harts Lake with attitude, although actually quite a bit bigger I think.
A 7 flight FAI contest on Chobham was enough to make even the fittest weep. You fly at places like Tangent or Lost Hills? You don't know you're born, that's like playing a round of golf and sticking to the greens, Chobham's like missing all the fairways.......
Yet I truthfully say 'What a great place'!

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 10:53:41 AM »

Chobham ... Yes!  A long trek from north of London but a flying 'field' of one's dreams ..   or nightmares.      This back in the days before the motorway was built through ....  before the 'Clump' was felled; a  copse upon a small hill which attracted models from any direction. The trees had 12" nails up the trunks to facilitate retrievals .. whatever would 'Health and Safety' have to say about that these days?   At least one nest of adders sunning themselves on the slopes too; Croydon club members carried venom antidote.The field itself - formerly used as a tank training ground .. that says a lot.  Rugged, rutted, undergrowth ... Shangri La ...    great days!

Thanks for the memories, John ... now back to Vector Directors. 

I still have plans for the big one in the file cabinet.  I so wish I hadn't sold off my McCoy .60's 35 years ago .....      :'(
Buster11
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »

Regarding John's query re. launching, is it possible that Vector Director was flown at a time when VTOs were the norm, rather than hand launching?

Adding to the Chobham Common thread creep, a little bird has it that some of today's Croydon members are considering doing an extended edition of Keith Miller's 1936-1960 history of the club (known as Crowdon & Riskit at the time). This would probably cover the peak of free-flight activity at Chobham, and, depending on how far beyond 1960 they go, might cover Bassingbourn, which rteplaced Chobham as the London free-flight mecca.

I think David Beales and Martin Dilly may be involved and might have more details. They'd probably welcome reminiscences from Glidermaster and Applehoney.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 12:08:35 AM »

Nigel has more than once talked about building the big Vector Director - even to the point of having a long shaft Fox 59!

One of my earliest memories is being at Chobham, at the famous Clump, with people test running engines on test stands nailed to the trees. I was crying because of the noise!
Routing the M3 through the middle of Chobham was a bigger crime against humanity than Nigel not bringing Vector Director to Tangent in August.
VD is Era 3 for Vintage FAI, equating to 26.5 oz AUW and 15 secs run, hand launch.
John

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 10:18:06 AM »

The plan of the big VD recommends a Mac .60 or similar for the extra weight .....    and it's a tad less expensive to lose/break than a long shaft .59.   Just a tad ....
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »

I liked the idea of building the bigger VD MKIII as I've had the plans for some time and as John says, I have the Fox .59 Longshaft for it. Sadly, I sold my McCoy 60 years ago.  :'( Once I discovered that there was an FAI version, I figured that would be a lesser investment to give the design a go. If this one is successful, who knows, maybe I'll do the big one as well.  Cool

I have kept this one pretty much per the original plans with the exception of two items: I've used an aluminum wing joiner tongue instead of plywood.
Also the plan shows a compound curved fuel tank which was to have been made from a metal cowl lifted fro a Berkeley "Super Yank". The shape of this tank echos the shape of the engine nacelle on the other side of the pylon for a symetrical shape. I pondered forming a tank but decided that since I had moved the timer from between the engine and tank on the right side over to the left, I may as well just build a balsa shell for that side and hide a simpler tank underneath.

Bruce, any reason vintage FAI couldn't also be flown at the September Albany meet? I'll be there in September anyway and will bring the VD and we'll fly it anyway.  Grin

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »

In the first year of Vintage FAI we had it at all three of our contests and I was the only one to fly it.That's when the idea of having it on Fri. with the FAI guys started.That made it so we could fly all of our other events on Sat. & Sun. This really helped the participation in Vintage FAI.You can still fly it in AMA Class A but that will only give you a 7 sec. engine run.I told Marty about your thingy Cat and he is very excited to see it go,his Dad set an FAI power record once with one and it had a MVVS on it. 
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »

That makes sense, Bruce. Hopefully next year the two events won't clash! I'll still bring the vintage FAI stuff in September. It's a good chance to do some trimming on a real free flight field!

Cheers, Nigel

monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »

Here's how I did the tank. Brass shimstock with a threaded stud on top to screw the cover on.
Re: Vector Director

gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »

What beautiful work you do "mono".
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »

Well thanks, "Gossie"  Smiley

john thompson
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 04:45:23 AM »

My memory (or my observation ! ) paid me tricks it was a modified Pussycat ( a high thrust line job )that I saw fly not the Vector . However Bob Owston  rang me to impart this info and at the same time said he had too many models to trim,  so would I have a go with the untrimmed Vector . Now I could hardly refuse could I ?
I shall get the model at Middle Wallop this weekend , where the forecast for the two day event is  17/25 mph wind but no rain . I shall, with others, be running the days so no flying for me , well that's my excuse !
I am apprehensive of this model , because some 15 years ago, I built a Keith Hoover model with Cox 09,  with the  same HTL layout ,I never really got it to fly. I think it would burble around under low power but other wise it was too unreliable, being dart like from it's launch  angle .
I shall got to darkest Chobham where the heather is deepest , and make sure there are no others to distract me or make "helpful "remarks , and give it a go . This may take some time, as the weather forecasts are poor for the next 6 months or more , then it's winter and too cold ?!
Never fear, I shall keep you all informed good or bad news .
John
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »

John,
That's very interesting news indeed! I look forward to hearing of your experiences with it.

Good luck....fingers crossed here!

Cheers,
Nigel

monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »

Slow but steady. Found some odd colored tissue in the tissue box. I figured an odd color for an odd model would be appropriate!

White tissue inside with black tissue trim. Fuse is tissue covered and will be painted white with Klasskote paint.

Cheers,
Nigel  Smiley
Re: Vector Director

john thompson
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 04:06:40 AM »

Please go to SAM1066.org and then left hand side , click on November issue of New Clarion , there I have written a not very encouraging report on the model that I had been given for trimming .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: