Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 01:59:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Frog 500 head gaskets  (Read 1133 times)
Terry Fitzpatrick
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:04:08 PM »

From a previous post on this forum somebody (in Australia I think) mentioned very late after the original discussion, that they had several Frog 500 head gaskets. I have searched the forum and I can't find the original post, I guess its been taken down due to old age. I have a 1950's vintage Frog 500 engine inherited from a now deceased older brother that having blown the original head gasket (when it was being tested by me) is out of action. I could get it going by making a metal spacer and using head sealant, but I would prefer to get an original gasket so that I can get the compression ratio correct as per original. From memory (a very long time ago) the engine was easy to handle and nice and noisy with its open exhaust.

Getting this low running time vintage engine going again is a bit of of a heritage mission for me, so if the person who made the late post about having some gaskets is reading this, lets hear from you!

regards Terry Fitzpatrick
Sydney Australia
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »

Hi Terry,

Perhaps someone like Jon Fletcher can supply?

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Terry Fitzpatrick
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:20:13 AM »

I will let the post sit for several weeks. If I don't get a result I will take you up on your suggestion. I don't know Jon Fletcher, is he  a member of your club?

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »

Hi Terry,

Jon is a very good engine rebuilder from Wingham in NSW.

He operates out of eBay as Aeroland.

He rebuilt a Lightening Flash Taipan 2.5 for me. A beautiful piece of work.

Regards

Greg

ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »

If you get no joy-try making one from the thick gauge foil you get in large tins of coffee, milk powder and baby formula (to give a few sources for the material)-I'm talking the seal under the press on lid that you have to perforate to access the contents on a new tin...usually cut out and binned after the first use of the tin. This foil is much thicker than normal 'cooking' domestic aluminium foil-but still soft enough to easily cut with scissors and a modelling knife-a piece I have here mikes at exactly 0.1mm thickness-typical thickness for a model engine metal headgasket (usually 0.1 or 0.2mm these days).....4 thou or 8 thou in old money....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Terry Fitzpatrick
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:22 AM »

Thanks Greggles47,

I have my first engine hiding somewhere in the workshop. A Taipan 1.5 diesel circa 1963. It no longer runs, worn bore / piston I think. I wouldn't have thought it economical to restore old motors, but it would be great to get this old engine running  for sentimental reasons. How much did your Taipan 2.5 rebuild cost? How much rework was involved with your engine?

Thanks Chris M,
I have a reasonable collection of aluminium & brass sheet & the means to make one. From memory (only 50 years ago!) the Frog 500 gasket was quite thick perhaps around 1 mm. I want to try and get an original if possible, but I will make one if I have to.

greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »

Hi Terry,
A few years ago Jon was charging $80 for a rebore. Other work I believe was on a time basis.

I'll send you a pm with his email address.

ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »

Thanks Greggles47,

I have my first engine hiding somewhere in the workshop. A Taipan 1.5 diesel circa 1963. It no longer runs, worn bore / piston I think. I wouldn't have thought it economical to restore old motors, but it would be great to get this old engine running  for sentimental reasons. How much did your Taipan 2.5 rebuild cost? How much rework was involved with your engine?

Thanks Chris M,
I have a reasonable collection of aluminium & brass sheet & the means to make one. From memory (only 50 years ago!) the Frog 500 gasket was quite thick perhaps around 1 mm. I want to try and get an original if possible, but I will make one if I have to.

You're quite right Terry-it was a fairly thick gasket-from the then popular rubberised asbestos or similar material. You can source gasket material on Ebay in small sheets-its usually greenish in colour, so not the same as the original material and IIRC comes in about two thicknesses ~1/64" and ~1/32".  Do a search on 'Perfect gasket material' or search vendor 'shtterman' who sells a lot of Enya parts. the gasket material is a listed Enya part. the 'Perfect' brand stuff is a bit harder to find-though it used to be available from Tower Hobbies....as I recall it was either a 6x3 or a 6x6 sheet.

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
CHELLIE
Nickel Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 01:51:46 AM »

From a previous post on this forum somebody (in Australia I think) mentioned very late after the original discussion, that they had several Frog 500 head gaskets. I have searched the forum and I can't find the original post, I guess its been taken down due to old age. I have a 1950's vintage Frog 500 engine inherited from a now deceased older brother that having blown the original head gasket (when it was being tested by me) is out of action. I could get it going by making a metal spacer and using head sealant, but I would prefer to get an original gasket so that I can get the compression ratio correct as per original. From memory (a very long time ago) the engine was easy to handle and nice and noisy with its open exhaust.

Getting this low running time vintage engine going again is a bit of of a heritage mission for me, so if the person who made the late post about having some gaskets is reading this, lets hear from you!

Sydney Australia

Hi Terry Smiley Pick up some 1/32"  MP-15 Gasket material on EBay I use it on my McCoy Case to Cyl. and Head gaskets, its the best of the best gasket material on the market, its used where other gasket materials fail. I have made a lot of McCoy Gasket kits with it and never ever had a failure, its used for heavy duty industrial application, I am a Retired Engineer and am familiar with industrial repair procedures, No Sealant is needed with the MP-15 gasket material, it has a built in sealant , Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Fiber-Gasket-Material-Hit-Miss-Engine-Car-Truck-Carburetor-Gas-Oil-/380373485441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589006c781

some of my Over hauled McCoy, K&B and Johnson Engines below

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Frog 500 head gaskets
Terry Fitzpatrick
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 08:52:43 PM »

Thanks for your advice on the MP15 gasket material Chellie. The Frog 500 has a slot milled right across the full width of the head to make space for a baffle on top of the piston. This exposes the gasket to high temperature and my cardboard gaskets of long ago wouldn't last more than a few minutes. I was intending to use an aluminium gasket with hi temp. head sealant for this reason. Since then, my OS Max III 15 looks like it has blown a head gasket and its not even on the OS list of superseded engines so I expect I will have to make a gasket for it.  I will try and get some MP15 and try it on both engines.

Chellie, those restored engines of yours look great. Did you use a high temperature solvent type engine parts cleaner to get them so clean?

ffkiwi
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Since then, my OS Max III 15 looks like it has blown a head gasket and its not even on the OS list of superseded engines so I expect I will have to make a gasket for it.  I will try and get some MP15 and try it on both engines.

Well considering the OS Max-III 15 went out of production more than 40 years ago (its replacement the OS Max 15 with the drop in liner was introduced in 1975) -it's hardly surprising...!  There's a limit on how reasonable it is to expect a manufacturer to support superseded models....

ChrisM
   'ffkiwi'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: