Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 12:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Solar Airspan, Litespan?  (Read 457 times)
BlueBaron
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:24:57 AM »

Hi, Has anyone used these to finish a Tomboy, which one  is better for a diesel powered version? Thanks
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »

Airspan needs a coat of dope to seal it, and Litespan  doesn't, but is slightly heavier. I've used Litespan on a Babe Bee powered sports model with no problems and it should be OK for diesel fuel. Obviously you'll need to fuelproof the engine bay.
Bryanair
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:10:43 PM »

I would be a little bit cautious.  I once had a Graupner Cirrus glider that was covered in Solarfilm then one day decided to add an engine pod.  The engine was a diesel and I soon found that the Solarfilm was bubbling up after diesel fuel had somehow got under the covering.  If you go down this route I would suggest that you paint a line of fuel proofer along all seams of the Solarfilm or whatever plastic covering you use.
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 05:56:39 PM »

Airspan and Litespan are completely different materials from Solarfilm even though they are made by the same company. And since they don't have adhesive on them you get to choose your own adhesive.

I've used Litespan on diesel powered models, the last one was a Cardinal with a PAW .55, IIRC I stuck it down with Deluxe Materials Covergrip and it lasted pretty well.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: