Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 02:28:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC SE5A  (Read 5107 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 05:41:38 AM »

I absolutely hate it!!!!

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 05:51:18 AM »

Will it be available before my birthday? I have a list to complete.
Ex Member

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 06:28:55 AM »

Erm ok, This isn't as bad as asking the wife when her Birthday is but..... Embarrassed

Hate what David?  The model or the fact I'm 43?  Huh

Andrew
GrahamKennedy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »

Hi Andrew

Slightly off topic, but I shall probably catch up with you at the August Nats (if you are there) re this range.

Two of my own personal objectives for my role within CIAM (FAI) are

1. To leave a lasting legacy in the home nation at World Championships (RC) for youngsters to help introduce them to scale modelling.  This range of kits could be ideal.

2. I have literally just started working with the Macedonian Model Fedaration regarding introducing scale modelling within the country as a whole.  It is currently non-existent and so in my last e-mail I have suggested scale free-flight, including a plug for Mike Stuart's excellent site.

Both these projects are in very early stages, so who knows where they shall lead.
Off topic, but I hope you agree a very interesting link to your kits and also a massive compliment on their suitability for exactly as Russ has suggested.

Speak to you soon
Graham

CIAM F4 Subcommittee Chairman

PS: Those of you who know me will now realise why I am not around the events as much, given the above examples of where I am trying to lead scale aeromodelling.  Thanks for reading.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »

Erm ok, This isn't as bad as asking the wife when her Birthday is but..... Embarrassed

Hate what David?  The model or the fact I'm 43?  Huh

Andrew

The model obviously- your other remark is simply ageist - as I am sure you know. Sonny!!

But in truth this SE5 does look very nice - perhaps the most "scale"  of them all - so....... my wife and the dog will be busking for a little longer]!
Ex Member

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »

Ah That's Ok then, as long as you weren't being ageist!  Grin

Hi Graham,

The Nats misses my holidays this year, so I may well come along.  It would be nice to meet you and chew the fat.

Andrew
Ex Member

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »

After weeks of (sometimes) decent but (often) windy weather it was calm enough this evening give this go.  The motors is a long 3/16" piece that was hanging around lubed ready to go, so it was quickly shoved in and we got out to the field near our house to be pestered by lots of tiny biting flies (this is why I like indoor flying)

A blob of blu-tak on the nose and this flight is the result.  I am chuffed by the stall recovery and the general stability given the tightness of the turn due to the torque.  All in all more work required but very promising.  The video was taken by my 10 year old daughter, much better than my usual efforts   Grin Grin Grin

http://youtu.be/6GYlowO3-ZY

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »

Well done! I agree with the camera girl: "That's going really good!"
Very promising indeed!   Grin Grin Grin
Ex Member

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »

Ah Grin

The camera girl was silent, it was number one son with the commentary  Cheesy
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »

Apologies- didn't realise you had the whole Darby clan working for you!  Grin
They're doing a great job anyway.
Ex Member

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »

No need to apologise, I didn't even think to listen to the sound, it was only when you pointed it out did I realise that it was James.  Grin

They both came out with me.  James likes to see the models fly, I had to pull Millie away from making Daisy chains to do the filming......

Andrew
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »

Hi,
  Very nice model.  I did not know of this kit.  I built an SE to that same span from the Howard McEntee plan from a 1932 Model Airplane News magazine for the Cambridge Oxford 1921 air race two years ago.  (See Cambridge Oxford race in the competition section)  There were six or seven of us in the competition all building from the same plan.  My model came out to 30 grams without rubber.  Others built it a bit lighter.  I  did get mine flying quite well with flights now over a minute.  I use a long four strand 3/32" braided motor with 1120 winds.  plastic prop.  Mine also flies in a left pattern and I have small tape trim tabs on the upper wing to keep the left wing up.  So I am wondering if you weighed your model and know its weight? I am impressed it looks pretty well bang on accurate.  Keil Krafts old kit is also sheet wood sides and the same 16" span. I am rebuilding mine now to a military configuration.  Keep up the good work and good luck with yours. Cheers.  Bingo
Ex Member

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 04:29:20 AM »

Hi Bingo,

I think I saw the thread for the competition.  I know Paul Briggs pretty well he is a member of our (very small) club.

This is new kit design I have done for VMC, so that is why you won't have heard of it.  Yes it has sheet sides like the KK one but other than that it is structurally different.  The outline is straight from a 3 view, I felt no need to fiddle with fin or tail surface areas.  I think that the tail skid at the rear helps with the fin area no end.

This one is pretty hefty at 40g with a strip on 3/16" rubber, even so it flies pretty well.  It's pretty heavy for a couple of reasons, the first is the wood the kit was cut on was very very heavy, (they tend to cut my prototypes on whatever they have to hand!) and the construction is designed for new/inexperienced modellers so sections are thickish and parts robust enough to handle.

I built the KK one a while back, it was on much lighter wood and even with the solid sides and back end (both the fin/rudder and tail plane are sheet) and came in at about 32g IIRC.   It is also has pretty scale outlines, it is based on the earlier versions with the shallower rounder top radiator (mine has the taller radiator to match the prototype at the Shuttleworth collection)

Cheers

Andrew
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 05:57:29 AM »

I dunno what was going on, but the (I assume) Shuttleworth SE flew over my home town yesterday! I nearly dropped me pint...

Cheers,

Dan.
Ex Member

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 06:08:39 AM »

I was down at Bicester yesterday (The Flywheel festival.)  they had a couple of SE5A's in the Air at the same time as a couple of DR1's, Junkers CL-1's Sopwith tri-plane and a BE-2c Quite some sight!  Grin

Andrew
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 05:27:30 AM »

No surprises with that  flight Andrew but agree with James.

Can you remember how many turns you put on please? It is surprising to me as well,that 3/16th was about right because naively I would have thought far to much grunt?  So my Sea Fury which I have yet to fly will need at least four strands if not more ..........??
Ex Member

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »

It was a very long piece of 3/16 so it was fairly lazy torque/power wise, I think there was about 700 winds or so on that flight, very far away from an optimal length.  It is a very draggy model though, so that's where the power goes I guess. I always find that indoor these little models need less, I think that 4mm would be ok then.

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »

OK, some straightforward advice from experience please...
My SE5a is nicely-covered, and the time is rapidly approaching when I should be sticking on the paper roundels. Flat surfaces - no problem, but I suspect I know what will happen on the top of the wings: wrinkles, followed by some swearing and kicking of objects. It does look temptingly quick. but I am leaning towards paint.
How has the paper gone for others?
Bill
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

Bill, did you see Danny Fenton's model at the Nats? He'd used the paper markings and I thought they looked okay but he had doubts about them too. He did a build thread on a rival forum here from where I extracted this photo. Andy Sephton says tissue paste is best for the paper markings and that it wrinkles at first, but still dries smooth.

I want to do this kit so will be interested in how it goes if you do use them.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC SE5A
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 11:25:39 AM »

Pete, no I didn't; but then I didn't see Dan either. Thanks for that link - very useful
Ex Member

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »

I used a glue stick, and they worked fine for me, but I only use the (yellow) UHU glue sticks which are far superior to Pritt or Asda own brands and such.

Danny was working under the Guidance of Andy I believe, who wrote a similar thing that Pete suggests about the new deluxe tissue paste as part of his review of it using the VMC ME109.  They should be reasonably water resistant as they are laser printed rather than ink jet (but check!)

Just as an aside.... ALL of the markings are available on the VMC website so you can print some more if you need them.  Just go to the model you have, and look at the "Additional Resources" tab.  There are also downloadable files of the paper parts etc to save tracing/cutting up your plan....

https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/mfmSE5Aweb.html

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »

Andrew. I have modified my noseblock to a Hispano, so I am drilling a new hole. I assume a little rightthrust will be good?
Bill
Ex Member

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »

Yes, the down is already built in by design. 3 degrees or so of right should be fine.....

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »

Mine is nearly done - just need to knock up a Lewis and put a prop on. I turned it into a Hispano SE.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC SE5A
Ex Member

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2016, 05:49:10 PM »

Bill,

That looks bloody brilliant!

Andrew
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: