Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 05:26:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC SE5A  (Read 5144 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »

Crikey Bill! That's gorgeous...

Dan.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 05:53:16 PM »

Thanks both. My secret is to smear vaseline on the lens.
Seriously, it's a great kit and I can't wait to fly it.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2016, 06:50:04 PM »

Lovely! Did you paint the roundels in the end?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2016, 07:37:03 PM »

Lovely job  Smiley
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2016, 03:50:17 AM »

Yeah, there's a reason why you're Bill Dennis!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »

Bill, that looks fab!  I take my Halberstadt to you!

More pics?

Jon
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »

Bill,
Just curious as to the weight and how it compares with your Oxbridge racer.  I wish this kit was available when we did the race.

Mark

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2016, 03:39:49 AM »

Hello Mark
Mine weighs 36g. That's spray-painted and with some foam neoprene tyres (i can't do sanded wood tyres). It's a lot sturdier than the other one which I recall was about 22g. I might get the Lewis made today and I'll post another picture.
Bill
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2016, 02:36:16 PM »

I've knocked up a sort-of-Lewis gun so it's finished apart from putting on the prop. Can't wait to give it a hurl. The paint is Flair PC10. If you do one of these and intend to fit a Lewis, you need to put a rib in the middle of the centre section to glue it to. My gun is stuck to the tissue so it won't be there long! In the end, I painted the wing roundels and rudder
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VMC SE5A
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:47:32 PM by billdennis747 » Logged
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »

Oh Bill I do love your SE5.
Especially the 4 blader. Beautiful
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »

Looks great Bill ... must do a painted one myself one day.
Is the Flair PC10 still regularly available? .... I've lost track of the Flair situation in the past few years.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »

Lovely Bill,

That colour seems to capture PC10 (and please I'm not revisiting the eternal PC10 debate!) as I understand it the colour could appear anything from olive through khaki through to chocolate brown depending on the ambient light  (and presumably the exact mix used in the field) and I think I see that in your photos.  There is a term for a colour like PC10 that 'shifts' in different light.   I was once told it but have forgotten the word - anyone?

Look forward to flight reports in due course. 
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2016, 02:43:49 AM »

Is the Flair PC10 still regularly available? .... I've lost track of the Flair situation in the past few years.
Russ, I should have said it's now found under the Spectrum paint label - it's the same stuff. Many model shops stock Spectrum but rarely PC10 so I pick it up as and when I see it; usually at the August Nats...oh. Google Spectrum PC10. Spray it in cellulose thinner

Thanks Mike. Yes it's the perfect match for my own view of what PC10 was, including original samples at Old Warden etc. You are right, the colour is largely indescribable.
Bill
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »

Well, you have not lost it have you Bill?  I suspect VMC will have to look to their laurels in order to meet demand frankly..... I for one will be making a purchase even though I have vowed "no more kits". 
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »

Get one. I find with these modern kits, the first one takes some thinking about; a second one would go together much more quickly. I made only two fundamental changes - increased the radius on the wingtip LE, and increased the dihedral,  I felt both were slightly under scale. As soon as I get time, I want a Tiger Moth too!
Ex Member

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »

Get one. I find with these modern kits, the first one takes some thinking about; a second one would go together much more quickly. I made only two fundamental changes - increased the radius on the wingtip LE, and increased the dihedral,  I felt both were slightly under scale. As soon as I get time, I want a Tiger Moth too!

Fair enough Bill I can't argue that you know your stuff!  The angle with the tip height shown on the plan (circa 1/2" approx 12.5mm) should be 4 degrees, which I though was pretty scale.  The radius was different on every three view I looked at!

Glad you like it, you have done with this what I hoped that experts such as yourself would do, use the kit as a basis and then add detail and changes as they saw fit.  And yours looks great on it!

Cheers

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »

Hi Andrew.
Sorry - wasn't meaning to criticise. I just matched my model to the photo of the one I was doing. It is the Gwilym Lewis SE as featured in the Datafile Special, and it seems churlish to pass up the opportunity of more dihedral!
Bill
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »

Yes Bill, I will.  After all I was pretty taken by Hurticane (and still to add some detail).

I think Andrew you will find a variation between many three views, and also errors that are perpetuated because of plagiarism.  One well known author of three views in a number of books and journals admitted to me some while ago that he did copy others drawings and did not check for accuracy.  So worry not.

I believe also that these kits lend themselves very well to precisely what you say - enhancement by those who would like to and can, but equally can look pretty good more or less out of the box.
Ex Member

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »

Hi Andrew.
Sorry - wasn't meaning to criticise. I just matched my model to the photo of the one I was doing. It is the Gwilym Lewis SE as featured in the Datafile Special, and it seems churlish to pass up the opportunity of more dihedral!
Bill

No criticism taken Bill!  Thought it was just worthwhile saying what it was from the CAD for reference.....like I said yours looks great  Grin

You are probably right David I think I just chose one that looked right against the pictures of the Shuttleworth one....

Andrew
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2016, 04:31:31 PM »

There is a term for a colour like PC10 that 'shifts' in different light.   I was once told it but have forgotten the word - anyone?

I think that the word is 'fugitive' (?)

Dave
Ian Melville
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »

PC10 and Olive Drab are two colours that seem to be different everywhere you look. They are both badly effected by bleaching of the dyes. Not to mention variations in mixing by the factories.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:11 AM »

Thanks Dave -  I'm having a Quasimodo moment so that is probably the word I recall hearing but according to Google it describes a colour that changes colour over time due to inferior pigment rather than a colour that 'shifts' in different light.  PC10 certainly would have had inferior pigment if I am correct that is was a combination of dope ochre and lamp black (is that correct)

There is a term for a colour like PC10 that 'shifts' in different light.   I was once told it but have forgotten the word - anyone?

I think that the word is 'fugitive' (?)

Dave
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2016, 06:37:27 AM »

Just had one of those catalogues for "quirky" Christmas gifts pushed through my letterbox, and look what's on the front cover! Nice one, Andrew!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »

Have any members of the parish built the VMC SE5A "out of the box"?  

Chap I know on another (cycling) forum is building one1, but his usual line of country is gurt big multi-engine RC jobs taking a several of years to build, so if you've got any hints for a vanilla build that you'd care to share he'd find them handy.  Tips, tricks, pitfalls, indicative weight for ballast. That sort of thing.

I have pointed him at this forum a number of times, but AFAIK, he's not signed up yet.

Cheers,
Lurk.

1- It was started as a joint build with his grandson about a year back, but the sprog was more interested in Lego so was put to one side.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2018, 02:24:53 PM »

It´s a great model. The only mod I would recommend is either very hard balsa or spruce centre section struts, and take them to the bottom of the fuselage, like on the 3/6 KK kits. If these struts give way, it´s hard to repair.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: