Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 03:59:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VMC SE5A  (Read 5101 times)
Ex Member

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »

Bill/Lurks

The struts in the kit are on hard balsa sheets, but obviously there is a degree of variance, so it could be worthwhile to go a bit harder with the wood.

I’ve been to bed since then but IIRC The angles of the struts In the KK kits was wrong in the frontal view which was done to allow the structure as you describe.  At the corect angles they interfered with the rubber or perhaps even crossed each other before they reached the bottom of the fuselage...  So I think it was a choice of structural simplicity/robustness or a better scale appearance and the clearance for the rubber.  But like I said I’ve been to bed since!  Grin

Of course if you are running a CO2 motor or electric then it would make little odds...

Rob Brennan did a stills video of his build if that helps.

https://youtu.be/GMXarMCTLEk

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »

Lurks, mine was built 'out of the box' (other than its representing a post-war racing incarnation with different markings and no guns).

I've not yet crashed it properly, but it has had the odd spot of minor bother with inconsiderate walls refusing to completely step aside. So far the struts have largely stayed put. I've just had a look at it and if the cabane struts continued to the fuselage bottom they would finsh somewhere quite near the middle of the floor (but would not actually meet I don't think) so rubber clearance might well be an issue as Andrew said.

However, although as built the struts on this model don't extend very far into the fuselage, the VMC fit and cutting is so good that they still seem pretty sturdy to me. My 'real' rigging (ie thread not elastic) probably helps a lot too, which I think is perhaps another of Bill's wheezes.

When building it I found VMC's online photo instructions extremely useful. More so than the booklet in the box in my case, but I daresay it depends what kind of brain you have.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2018, 04:14:57 AM »

The use of working rigging as described by Pete works well and adds considerable strength as well as resiiiance to the structure. The Avetek Tiger Moth uses this system and has bounced well.
Ricky
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2018, 04:31:27 AM »

Yes it does, and if the model does come apart (like for example if your toolbox slides into it in the car) it makes it much easier to spring back together
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »

Thanks for that lot it'll be passed on.  Only one further question; where are VMC's photo. guides?  I've looked for them in the past and never found them.

Ta.
Lurk.
Ex Member

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2018, 03:17:51 PM »

On the website for the model under inststructions!

https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/se5a.html

Andrew
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »

C'mon everybody, join in if you know the words annnnd altogether now. Ah one, ah two ah one, two three!  "My eyes are dim I cannot see, I have not brought my specs with meeee..."  Smiley

Ta.
Ex Member

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »

Grin Grin Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: