Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2019, 11:44:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cox Racing Fuel  (Read 526 times)
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:36:58 PM »

Does anyone know the nitro content of the old Cox Racing Fuel (red can)?   This was the fuel specified for the .010 engines and I remember the engines screaming on this fuel.  I have a new fuel with 40% nitro specially blended for Cox .010 engines and they run on it but not like I remember them back in the '70s.  In the old days, one could get the .010 to run quite happily with the 4-1/2" propeller.  I have (2) old (red) .010s that won't run at all with the 4-1/2" black propellers with the new fuel. One of the engines is almost new.  Clipped to 4-1/4", I can run the prop on the engine at a very rich setting, getting very low power output.  With the recommended 3" propeller, I can run the engine leaner but still not enough power to fly models designed for the .010 engine.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Cox Racing Fuel

Mark
mjmccarron
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »

What I remember as "Race Power" fuel was 30% nitro. It had 18% caster oil and 2% Klotz oil. The balance of course was methanol. There's a Wiki article at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_model_engine

It's been a long time since I played with anything fuel powered. Good luck!

Mike

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »

I found this sheet somewhere with the Cox fuel formula's. We could not get Cox fuel so most used FOX Blast which was readily available.

Ployd in OZ
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Cox Racing Fuel

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »

Does anyone know the nitro content of the old Cox Racing Fuel (red can)?   This was the fuel specified for the .010 engines and I remember the engines screaming on this fuel.  I have a new fuel with 40% nitro specially blended for Cox .010 engines and they run on it but not like I remember them back in the '70s.  In the old days, one could get the .010 to run quite happily with the 4-1/2" propeller.  I have (2) old (red) .010s that won't run at all with the 4-1/2" black propellers with the new fuel. One of the engines is almost new.  Clipped to 4-1/4", I can run the prop on the engine at a very rich setting, getting very low power output.  With the recommended 3" propeller, I can run the engine leaner but still not enough power to fly models designed for the .010 engine.

....well for a start you're seriously overloading the engine regardless of the fuel-the .010 is supposed to run on the 3 x 1-1/4 prop it was supplied with-a 4-1/2" prop is an 020 size-even if clipped to 4-1/4"  An 010 will turn a 4-1/4" or 4-1/2" but is way overloaded and will struggle-if you get 15K you're doing well-bearing in mind that on the 3" prop it usually turns 27K. An .010 won't scream on a 4"+ prop size no matter what you run it on....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »

....well for a start you're seriously overloading the engine regardless of the fuel-the .010 is supposed to run on the 3 x 1-1/4 prop it was supplied with-a 4-1/2" prop is an 020 size-even if clipped to 4-1/4"  An 010 will turn a 4-1/4" or 4-1/2" but is way overloaded and will struggle-if you get 15K you're doing well-bearing in mind that on the 3" prop it usually turns 27K. An .010 won't scream on a 4"+ prop size no matter what you run it on....

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'

This.
412" is too much prop.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »

Ployd and mjmccarron,
Thank you very much!

ffkiwi,
With the recommended 3" propeller, I can run the engine leaner but still not enough power to fly models designed for the .010 engine.
I obviously tried the correct propeller and still have not enough power with the 40% nitro fuel.

danberry,
412" is too much prop.

Agreed, I don't have a propeller that big.

Mark
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »

Yeah. I meant the 4 1/2" prop. It's too much.

If you are using the right prop, fuels with 30-40% and aren't getting the power you are expecting, there are two obvious things to look at.
#1 ---varnish on the piston/cylinder
#2 --- the engine might be shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: