Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 06:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: C.B. Model Design's Boomer p-30  (Read 4781 times)
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:39:02 AM »

I am building my first P-30, a C.B. Model Designs Boomer. I have been a modeler since I was 8 or 9 years old younger than that if you count all the sleek streak type models. I built rubber and 1/4A and 1/2A Free flight models, then got into single channel R/C and then multi channel, during my time in the Army in the early 70s.

I never left modeling, but over the years work and two many other hobbies have limited the time spent modeling. Mostly I built for my nephews and the children of friends. A few years ago I was injured, and suddenly had a lot more time on my hands for modeling. I had drawn up CAD plans for a small Frank Zaic model called the Falcon finally built it and was searching for a place to fly it in Orange County.

I found the Yahoo Groups site for the Dog Park Free Flight Society at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa CA. Clint Brooks (the (C.B.) in C.B. model Designs) was the first contact that I made with the group and has been very helpful not just to me but he seems to be the one everyone goes to for help and advise building and trimming their models. The Dog Park was the first time I ever saw a freeflight model fly that I did not build.

The choice of the Boomer as my first P-30 was a no-brainer I have built his YardStick sport model and it was a delightful build so I thought I would use this site to post a mini review of the Boomer MKII kit.

First it is packaged in a sturdy box the parts are packaged in heat sealed bags (no way any parts are going to fall out and get lost) the fuselage is packed in bubble wrap and is a Hand made work of art, ready to cover and add the DT components all the DT parts are included except the timer itself 3 types are shown on the plans and he includes laser cut plywood mounts for a couple different styles. The wing, stab, rudder, and nose block components are all laser cut self jigging and of quality balsa of the appropriate weight, the only parts of the kit not laser cut are the wing 1/16” turbulator spars the kit also includes Japanese tissue (tell him what colors you want) also included is one of the yellow p-30 props (I think Czechoslovakian ). The CAD drawn plans for this model are much nicer than are typical in models kitted these days really a work of art.

Thus far I have got everything ready to cover, and have not made any changes other than a piece of Kevlar thread on the trailing edge wrapped in a piece of silkspan. For me to build a model like this from plans would I think would take three of four times as long, and when done chasing down all the components, might not save much $ I’ll take some pictures and weigh the parts before covering and post them here in the next day or two.

Clint’s website is http://www.cbmodeldesigns.com/boomer-mk-ii.htm

Richard Browning
JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:29:44 AM »

I've got a Boomer still in it's box. I second all the good things you say about the quality of the kit and the level of pre-fabrication. This thread could be the push i need to get it built.

Steve
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:55:11 AM »

Steve

You've plenty of time to build it & fly at the Nationals - a whole month. Get gluing Grin

Peter
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 243

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »

Richard, Thanks for starting this thread. I am also interested in Clint's "Boomer". Just that I haven't had the funds to get one yet, but maybe in May. I also wish to obtain his "Yardstick". It just looks so nostalgic. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:17 PM »

I'm having a heck of a time shrinking down the photos small enough to post, will submit as soon as I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Caley sorry you got blown out Wed. I was thinking of taking my YardStick out to Perris Wed. but kept hitting the snooze button.

Richard
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:06:48 AM »

pictures
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: C.B. Model Design's Boomer p-30
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »

Richard, Guess you should be glad you didn't go out to Perris. Of course, for the patient people, flying commenced a few hours later than normal. I would imagine that everyone there to compete got their three flights in. I might get down to Perris in a couple of weeks. Look forward to seeing your Yardstick and the Boomer.

Caley

Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 12:09:28 AM »

pictures
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 12:39:44 AM »

Richard, Those bones look great! Looks like the weight is really good also. Did the G-G prop assembly come with the kit, or are you substituting with that? Nice thing about the G-G prop assembly is that you can make adjustments to the thrust angles.

Caley

Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:53:47 AM »

Caley
The G-G unit is not included' will save the yellow p-30 prop that he includes in the kit for another project> Clint has posted photos of his newest Boomer on his web site with the G-G unit.

Richard
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 02:29:03 AM »

Richard, Kewl. I just ordered my Boomer from Clint's website. Couldn't afford his Yardstick and the Boomer in one order, so will have to wait til later. I think I've got a spare 9 inch G-G prop assembly lying around. Might use it for the Boomer, though I keep reading that the Czech props are better than the P-P stock prop. Kind of want to see how a Czech prop works also.

Caley

applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »

Caley, the G-G prop is not stock - carefully re-pitched.
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »

here is a link to the explanation

http://www.gizmogeezer.com/p30.htm
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:17 AM »

Not entirely sure I want to draw attention to this can of worms, but an open forum is probably the place to do it Undecided

I understand the rules call for an 'unmodified' commercial prop - The GG prop is commercially available so technically should be legal; however if some enterprising individual were to re-pitch (ie increase) the pitch of a available props they would give an increased performance and become the 'must use' items...

A difficult one... sanding blades to balance (legal?), scraping prop blades (not legal?), trimming blades for balance (not legal?).

I think that GG have it right when they talk about the spirit of the rules - like timekeeping our conscience keeps us legal Roll Eyes

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 08:13:19 AM »

I don't fly P30, but I thought this GG set up was permitted after some debate. Might've changed.

moon
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »

The Gizmo-Geezer prop is legal.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »

There WAS a big ballyhoo over the GG, but thankfully blew away.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »

Sorry guys, I didn't express myself very clearly Embarrassed

(AND clearly missed the debate/discussion/ballyhoo about the GG prop - which I have got NO PROBLEM with) Smiley

My concern is that because this unit IS allowed it may be that another supplier starts to supply props that are improved by repitching or increasing the pitch to give a longer run...

Being aware of the potential distortion of the rules BEFORE it happens is the best way of making sure that we keep the event the one we know and love. (Take a look at what's is now happening with radio DT's and the flap that the rule makers are in over that, because although the potential was there the door wasn't closed earlier)

I fly a fair bit of P30 and love the ease of the event (Indeed I still fly my first ever free flight model which was a P30)

I'd just like to make sure that the playing field stays level and accessable to beginners Wink

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »

DaddyO, I agree with you, in that I would really like to see the P-30 event as simple as possible. It was supposed to be an entry level event, and I would like to see it that way. Unfortunately, people like to keep poking at things, trying to get the rules changed. I think the GG prop system will be fine.

I do think that sanding down one blade to get it balanced should be allowed. It certainly is easier than trying to add weight to one blade, or at least I think so. And a beginner can do do the sanding easily.

But.... I think we've strayed off the Boomer P-30 topic. I think Richard has done a great job on his model, and look forward to seeing his flight (fright Grin ) reports.

Caley

DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »

We have indeed - apologies Richard Lips sealed

(thanks Caley) Wink

Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »

The wing is done weight is 9.9 grams. I had some checkerboard tissue I thought I would try, it’s not that easy to work with, for one thing I usually attach tissue to a pre doped framework, by flooding thinner through the tissue, and rubbing it with my finger to adhere, with this stuff the red squares block the thinner, the red also tends to bleed a bit when you rub it. My AMA# and the Boomer logo are printed directly to the tissue got a little bit of red bleed around the #9 in the AMA # I gave the tissue a coat of about 30% dope before shrinking with alcohol I guess I should have given two coats over the printing to stop the bleeding.

Richard
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 12:07:16 AM »

Veeeery nice Richard. Guess I need to start printing my AMA number on my tissue also. I usually just use bond paper and glue it onto the fuse. TACKY!!!  Grin

Caley

Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 07:50:45 PM »

All done! 39.9g or 40.1g it's kind of hard to keep balanced on the scale. now I need to make a stuffing stick and blast tube, also need to build a new winding stooge, the one I have is a hand me down that is pretty rough on any poor model placed in it's jaws.
Next projects a "Miss World's Fair", a new Frank Zaic Falcon, to replace the one that went O.O.S. at Perris a few weeks ago, and a WWII scale maybe a Zero.

Richard
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 03:14:25 AM »

Very nice Richard Grin (Good weight too - currently part way through a new P30 myself)

Keep us posted on the other builds - never seen a 'Miss Worlds Fair' in the flesh and a Zero is a nice choice for a scale model...

JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 03:56:12 AM »

Nice build! Where did you get the checkerboard tissue?

Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: