Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 01:13:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: C.B. Model Design's Boomer p-30  (Read 4779 times)
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »

Thanks

I got the tissue at.

http://www.peck-polymers.com/store/Category.asp?Cguid={217D932A-C0C7-4068-BCC9-B8B04CC63CAD}&Category=BuildingMaterials%3ACoveringhere

this is the first time i have used it, a bit more challanging to use.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:21:38 AM by Tweedy » Logged
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »

Sent Clint Brooks this flight report for the Boomer.

Hi Clint

Test flew the Boomer out at Perris today, third flight, first with near full winds in the
cool, tissue sagging damp, pre sun morning, using 9.5g 4 strand 1/8" motor DTed at 4
1/2 min for a +5 min flight. Fun! Will post copy of this E-Mail on the Hip Pocket site.

Richard
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 243

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »

Hi Richard, I was very happy to meet you this morning. Sorry I didn't spend more time yakking. Guess I was really involved with getting my Souper30 to fly.

Your flight sure sounds impressive. I will be happy to get two minutes with mine when built.

Clint, you seem to have a real winner in the Boomer. I also saw the Yardstick, and it is a, "I have to get one", thing. But I will have to wait until the second half of the year when I have some more mooooooney.  Grin

What's stall speed?  Undecided
hoogie007
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »

Thanks for hosting the build of your kit Richard. Hopefully you did not have to hike very much to get your model back! You sure did a great job on the build and the covering looks hot too-can't wait to see it in person.

I'm looking forward to seeing the California locals at Lost HIlls this weekend for the Orbiteers joint meet. I'll be flying the MkII Boomer in P-30 this time. If nothing else, you get a good ice cream Sunday at some point in the contest-makes it kinda unique to see everyone stop flying and chow down like a bunch of kids at the local drug store!

Anyone building a Boomer that desires construction photos, just email me-I have many to share. And thank you Cayley for your kind comments. I hope your Boomer build goes smoothly too.

Clint Smiley
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »

I went to lost hills for the first time Sat. flew the Boomer in my first P-30 event I had easy 120s max on first to flights but launched into pretty bad sink on third flight for 108s and just missed the next round. Clint won the contest with maxes of 120s 120s 120s 150s 180s 210s his last flight was OOS and his Boomer was lost. Did not stay for the 5PM mass launch but Clint brought a back up Boomer I look forward to hearing how he did.

Richard
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »

Hi Richard, Glad to hear you got a chance to fly elsewhere and have some fun. Sorry to hear you missed the second round, but then, you're probably in the contest learning curve like I am. I never knew about properly winding the motor or about thermals. I still haven't learned. Guess you have to have a desire to compete to really pursue those areas of our sport.

Look forward to seeing you out in Perris again.

Caley

Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »

Clint sent me the following E-mail, looks like Boomers came in 1st and 3rd. I think 3rd place by a pilot that does not know what he is doing is a testament to the boomers design. Caley I wont be at Perris this Wed. maybe the next.

Richard

Hey Richard-

You ended up 3rd place in P-30. I have the little award plate that goes onto your plaque you got when you entered the contest. Congratulations-you did a fine job! Next time we need to make sure we lock up the top two slots!

Sunday seemed hotter than Saturday. The contest ended early at 2:00. I flew HLG and Large Rubber Cabin, taking first in both of those. I lost my tip launch glider on the fourth attempt, and had to finish with a javelin launch glider backup. Lee Hines lost a few maxes, otherwise I think he would have done us all in as usual. We had fun though-especially the two boys who flew with us in the junior category. They made more maxes than the old boys!
 Went through all my rubber stock. I have just enough for a few flights at Fairview this Sunday-see you there?

Clint
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »

Richard, Big congrats on your placement. Looks like the Boomer loves the air. Will be looking forward to building mine starting in August or so. I'm not going to Perris this wednesday either. Just can't afford it. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze out the resources for the following week,or maybe the week after that.

Caley

hoogie007
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »

An update-

The lost Boomer was recovered over the weekend by a flyer involved with a subsequent contest at Lost Hills. In the interim, I have been busy engineering a wing pop-off setup to prevent a DT flyaway again. I have designed my solution to retrofit existing airplanes, and will eventually find it's way into the kit at the next update. I tested the mechanism on my second Boomer over the weekend and so far it appears to work well. I'm planning to create a process write-up for the retrofit along with the design information. This will be posted to the website (www.cbmodeldesigns.com) at some point, and sent out to those who have purchased kits already for their consideration. I'll include some images on this thread later (I'm away from the home computer right now).

Be Free!
Clint  Grin
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »

Thanks Clint, for going to all the trouble on the D/T redesign. You defintely put a lot of thought and effort into your designs. Guess the pop-off D/T should be out by the time I build mine. Of course, I am happy to hear you got your airplane back. Always nice to have that happen. Thank goodness for those who require chase bikes to track down their airplanes, and sometimes our errant ones.  Smiley

Caley

hoogie007
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »

News flash-the Boomer took first at the USFFC this past weekend at Lost Hills. The pop-up wing DT worked well and allowed recovery from some high flights. The airplane I used was mylar covered, Gizmo-Geezer front end and weighed 41 grams empty. I ran 6 X 3/32 Supersport at 6+ in. oz. torque each attempt. Motor runs were 90 sec plus in all cases-more than enough to gain plenty of altitude for max time. My streak ended on the sixth attempt when I launched into the backside of a weak thermal and came slightly short of max. That's pilot error though-you can't get it good every single time!

I'd love to hear from others who are flying their Boomer models in competition.

Clint Brooks
www.cbmodeldesigns.com
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »

Clint, Great to hear how well the "Boomer" did. Big congrats,

Sorry to say, I've not yet started on mine. Just so many other things going on. Though I did manage to break two minutes with my P-30, called a Souper 30. This was the first over two minutes for me, and unfortunately, it almost was the last flight for the model. I was lucky and got it back because of Lee Hines and Larry Bagalini finding it. It was OOS at 8:38, and yes, no D/T. Of course, that will be my last flight without a D/T. Grin

Will try to build after I finish my Jimmie Allen Special.

Caley

Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »

Clint,
First off, well done!
A question, did you use the Czech prop with the Gizmo Geezer front end, or the stock re-pitched Gizmo prop?

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »

Hi Clint
Congrats: I was really eager to bring my Boomer and Miss World’s Fair to Lost Hills, but Flight tests on the MWF did not go well on Wed. at Perris. In getting ready to make up a bunch of P-30 motors, I discovered that when emptying the box I transported the Boomer back from Colorado in of the foam peanut packing material; I had thrown out my Gizmo front end along with the peanuts. My other 9.5” GG prop was attached to my YardStik that was lost in CO. Maybe next P-30 contest we can have a Boomer 1-2-3 finish.
Richard
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 07:35:13 AM »

Hi Clint
Congrats: I was really eager to bring my Boomer and Miss World’s Fair to Lost Hills, but Flight tests on the MWF did not go well on Wed. at Perris. In getting ready to make up a bunch of P-30 motors, I discovered that when emptying the box I transported the Boomer back from Colorado in of the foam peanut packing material; I had thrown out my Gizmo front end along with the peanuts. My other 9.5” GG prop was attached to my YardStik that was lost in CO. Maybe next P-30 contest we can have a Boomer 1-2-3 finish.
Richard

OUCH!!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
hoogie007
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Tony-the front end was stock Gizmo with the repitched Peck prop. Richard-well buddy you just hang in there!

Grin

Clint

Cayley-when you start building feel free to contact me on any questions. I'll also meet with you for help trimming first flights if you wish.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »

Clint,

I finally broke out the parts of my "Boomer", and right now I am just looking at the plan and the parts, trying to familiarise myself with everything. Sure are a lot of parts to this model. Will take me a couple of days to carefully remove the laser cut parts from the sheets.

I will spend the next day or so just comparing parts to plan and reading the instructions. I do notice that there are two rear motor peg positions. What I am wondering is if these positions need to be reinforced with 1/64 ply circles. It actually looks like some kind of circles were glued in, but not quite sure.

Caley

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »

I was surprised that it didn't take as long to cut the parts out as I'd thought. Still quite painstaking to ensure you don't cut up the wrong things.

I managed to lay out the wing parts. It will be a new way of building for me. I'm not used to washout tabs on the ribs, and it will take some careful planning to ensure I get things done correctly. Since I build with magnets, it might be a bit easier, but will have to see.

I will continue to remove the parts for the nose block, stab and fin, and then bag them. Shown is the picture of the wing parts, ready for assembly.

Caley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: C.B. Model Design's Boomer p-30

hoogie007
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »

Cayley - the fuselage already includes the reinforcement patches you see on the fuselage drawing as reference lines. I showed them as they do appear on the surfaces of the model as received - they probably don't need to be shown.

I'm looking forward to your impressions as you build the model!

Clint
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

Clint, I am still puzzling things out. The built in shims on the spars and ribs are giving me fits, trying to understand how they work. I guess I need to trial fit a panel and see how they go together. I get the feeling that they will need some angles sanded in, in order to fit properly.

Those extra long LE's and TE's I just cut off and sanded after setting the gussets per instructions.

Caley

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 11:34:27 PM »

Clint, I test fitted the right wing tip panel, and finally see how things are going to go together. Test fitting at least one of the panels is probably something everyone should do when building something with built in shims on the pieces. It provides a good visual allowing understanding of how it is supposed to go together.

I think I can now start gluing things together. Smiley

Caley

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »

The test fitting didn't help me a bit when I tried gluing the parts together. I broke over half of them on the right wing panel. I will remove the washout tabs on the left wingtip panel and fit together flat. I will then induce the washout with shims when shrinking and doping the tissue. I probably will have to throw away the right wing panel and build from scratch as it is very crooked and every place there is a slot on the TE is broken due to the soft wood.

Clint, I'm sure that most people can build this airplane without any trouble, but I am not one of them. It is definitely a quality kit. I would imagine that most of the wood must be 4-6#, but this is too soft for me with my ham hands.

Caley

Tweedy
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »

Caley

Sorry you are having trouble with your Boomer build is yours the MK II? The structure is really quite strong once built. what kind of glue are you building with?

Richard
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »

Yes, It is the MkII. I'm using Titebond glue, which is pretty much what the instructions recommend. The problem is that I've tried this prop up type of building to induce washout, and was never successful at it. The parts never got aligned properly, no matter how careful I was. I use jigs and everything in creation to keep things just right, only to unpin and find them out of whack, and needing sanding in order to not have lumps. My problem is I really don't see all that well again. I've another cataract forming in my left eye and everything is getting blurry in that eye. Not bad enough yet for surgery though.

The right wing panel came out lumpy, which needed sanding, but I think it will do. I will just build the best I know and hope it comes out fairly well.

Caley

Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »

I have to use a headband magnifier for any sort of precision alignment of parts on my indoor models. I take it to flying sessions as well so that I don't come home with horrible looking field repairs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: