Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 07:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guillows Spitfire dime scale?  (Read 942 times)
Obediah
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »

Does anyone know about a Guillows Spitfire dimescale? The first model I tried in the mid 40's was a Spitfire Dimer, and I am quite sure it was a Guillows kit. I remember the covering instructions on the plan that were typical of Guillows kits at the time.

Jay
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »

There is a plan set for a 20" span Guillows Spitfire in the Plans Gallery, labeled Kit 50-10.  The plan look like it might be a little newer than the war, but you might check it out.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=5982  (requires separate registration)

--george

Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »

Guillows kit 50-10 might be from the 50s, here is a photo of the kit box (found online):

http://www.homefly.com/reference/spit.jpg

--george
Guillows Spitfire dime scale?

Bell Models
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »

The plan looks pretty good to me. The elliptical wing ribs are a bummer, but it's easy to design a new set. Some kind of a wing carry through spar would be nice. Also, for the fuselage frame uprights, use 1/16 by 1/8, or 1/16 by 3/16 and put a little curvature in them to get rid of the slab sided look. And a new canopy would make this a good looker. Then prepare to do battle with the judges. :<)

John Bell
Obediah
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I think the one I am after was earlier, in the 40's.  It was smaller and had a balsa prop.
I know it was 10 cents for the kit.

Jay
jym6aw6
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »

FWIW, the 1993 Pond catalog lists these two:

Guillow F-92     15" wingspan

Guillow XA-14     16"    "

The AMA plans collection probably has them now. Don't know if you can bring up plans pix on their site, though.

Jim (6aw6)
Obediah
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »

Thanks Jim

AMA plans service has them plus a couple of others. I'm going to order them today.

Jay
oldF4Dpilot
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 01:24:04 PM »

Obediah, There was an very nice dimer Spitfire kit by Comet (A-36) in the early 40s. I built one and got nice flights with it. The flights couldn't help but be nice as it was launched from a platform us kids built on two pine trees blown together by a hurricane. The launch spot was at least 20 feet from the ground. Typical of our ability, knowledge and the rubber available, these were essentially power glides. I don't recall any covering instructions on the plans as it was a typical Comet kit of the time. I built lots of their dimers and don't recall such instructions on any of the A or E series plans. I'm currently building a 20" version of the A series Puss Moth. That kit was my first stick & tissue model. It flew - very modestly by today's standards - but well enough to hook me for life. Best of luck with all your projects!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: