Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 02:50:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Powermax Shark Radials  (Read 1021 times)
union model
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »

Would anyone have any information or know anyone with one of the early 80's (geared) radial Co2 motors ?

They were available in a 5 engined version, known as the PMS5 and 7 engined PMS7 versions, geared together to swing a large prop. They were probably more aimed at a collectors item, then to fly with.

I'd like any info that maybe available, ie gear ratio etc as I like to replicate one as a lathe project.

Thanks, Mike.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Powermax Shark Radials
Powermax Shark Radials
Powermax Shark Radials
Redfox
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »

sorry for the late reply, I hope it is still interesting

those look like Shark single cylinder bolted together, I have got one of those (the 1 cyl.) but never got it to run
union model
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »

Hi Redfox, you're right, the Powermax radial engines were made up from 5 or 7 single Shark co2 engines bolted to a backplate and geared to swing a largish wooden propellor.
They were sold more as collectors items than for flying.

The Shark engines varied in performance, some ran, some didn't.
DaveWC
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »

Put 7 of them together and how could you tell which were running or not !  Grin
union model
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »

Good question Dave. I'd run each one first, set the cylinder head to low tick over and carefully mark a faint line on the crankcase and liner so when assembled together you have a position where they are roughly all set the same.
If already assembled, I guess you could run the engine and drop a spot of oil on each exhaust port to see if it blows the oil away.?

Being made up from Shark engines, I'm pretty sure that happened with some running and others were not.
union model
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »

Since my last posting on here asking for any information regarding the old Powermax Shark ‘Radial’ co2 motors, my luck was in, as GM contacted me saying he had acquired an original Shark Radial that required some work to get it to run. With that being the case, GM kindly produced a detailed working drawing and machined some parts for me to make a geared Shark radial of my own.

It’s a fairly hefty lump of a motor, it was never intended to fly anything, more as a desktop toy. The originals were quiet an expensive too, in 1979 it retailed at £99!

The project started with machining new pistons and valve seats from Delrin plastic. Once all the leaks were solved and each motor was running well, the motors were tachometered to run at 2000 RPM with the Shark propeller, and each cylinder marked at that setting.
The gear of each motor was marked bottom dead centre and each gear was advanced 5 teeth which worked out approximately 72 degrees, the idea being each motor fired in sequence.

5 standard tanks are coupled to one filler valve. It turns a 15x6” prop quiet easy, with a modest draft for about 1 ½ minutes.

All in all im very happy with it, and Id like to thank GM for his help with this project. Mike.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Powermax Shark Radials
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: