Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 18, 2019, 05:27:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: come and see a newbie project!!!  (Read 692 times)
B.karthik

« on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:55 AM »

i used cardboard to make templates and traced the outline of template in balsa and used blade to cut the parts from balsa.after that i did sanding by waterproof emerypaper to get aerofoil shape using masking tape and i gave final finish with a fine soft sandingpaper available in hardware store .i used my ironbed cot for sleeping as a vertical surface to support my fuselage and pasted my mainwing and the tailplane and i felt difficult as the glue got stick to the bedcot and i tried granite surface and here also it stuck for the dihedral parts to be joined.so i used thermocol as the flat surface to join the dihedralparts.i used setsquare to place rudder perpendicular to the tailplane.

problem:
1.while attaching the mainwing and dihedral parts and tailplane with fuselage with granite as the working surface the balsawood get stuck to the granite and when i try to remove the wing breaks completely.

i found from you my friends that waxpaper or plasticsheet should be used under the joints to be glued.

doubt:
1.shall i use thermocol under the joints to be glued as i use instant glue.
2.you told plastic so here i have bucket made of plastic shall i use that plastic or any specific type of plastic to be used???if specific type of plastic means where can i get that???and also where can i get waxpaper???
thanks for any help...
yours karthik.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
come and see a newbie project!!!
come and see a newbie project!!!
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 75

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:14:13 AM »

Hi Karthik. Nice looking glider.

1. I don't recommend instant glue. I would suggest carpenters' glue such as Titebond.http://www.titebond.com/ Or use cellulose based glue (sometimes called cement). In the west here, we know the cements as SIGment, Duco Cement, or Ambroid.

2. I think the plastic that was recommended would be the very thin clear plastic film used to wrap food in. We know it as Saran Wrap here in the west. http://saranbrands.com/
Saran Wrap and waxed paper are available here in food stores. You could also take an ordinary sheet of paper and rub it very well with a candle. The glue will still stick to it but you can peel the paper off the glued structure.

Best wishes,
Mark

Mark
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

Karthik,
You can also rub a bar of soap on your working surface before you glue your wing halves together. But you ought to find a nice sized
flat wooden board to work on. I am impressed with your glider! Take your time at this stage, and you will learn a lot very quickly. You
will need to go to a place were food is wrapped and ask for wax paper. Cover your working surface with that. Good luck!

The Threadkiller!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »

Karthik

If that is your first model and your own design, very well done!

You can use the plastic bags that shopkeepers provide to carry purchases home, as glue will not stick to these (and you won't have to pay for them). Instant glue (superglue) is fine for gliders such as you've built, and is recommended by SweepetteLee, the hand launched glider expert on this forum.

Good luck with your flying.

Peter
B.karthik

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »

yes friends it is immense help to me by your suggestions.

thanks by karthik
Kev
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »

Hi
Apologies for jumping on your thread late, however, wanted to know can you get greaseproof paper out there? If not, I would be happy to pick up a 5 meter I think it is roll from my local supermarket and post it out to you. May help you progress.

Best wishes
Kev
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »

Karthik,
You glider looks excellent. I think you might be able to get wax paper in your supermarket...it will be in the same place as the tinfoil usually. Alternatively you should use the soap, or candle or kids wax crayons to prepare the surface on which you will work. If you rub some paper with wax and then work on the waxed surface you will not have too many problems (unless you use lots of glue, which you should avoid doing anyway).
Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: