Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 25, 2019, 11:16:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Applying Tissue  (Read 1197 times)
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:59:02 AM »

Just curious, when applying tissue with a glue stick, do you put glue stick on every upright, cross member, rib, etc? I do but like to see what others are doing.

Also, I just discovered brush on super glue. Very easy to use.
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »

I have seen different answers on this question posted by many a good modeler on this site.  I personally apply 50/50 white glue to all the wood that touches the tissue.  This way I can more easily remove and replace bad areas (which I seem to have too many of) and can also repair the eventual damaged areas that pop up after flying.  Just my thoughts.  

Bob
dmar836
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:38:23 AM »

Others have said that attachment to all surfaces adds strength to the overall structure and limits shrinking to smaller areas.
Dave

How you do anything is how you do everything.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 12:32:24 AM »

Probably best if you attach the tissue to all of those little sticks. At least the ones it's meant to touch. If that's a problem, consider using Sig Stix It, or something called Fab Tac, or really sticky dope to attach it. Apply to frame and let dry. Put the paper over it and use a brush to apply acetone through the tissue. It will stick down nicely and only where you want it to. When everything's just right, you can stick it down at the other places.

Friends don't let friends use super glue on their balsa free flight models!* ;-)

*brittle, heavy, soaks in, makes mistakes instantly permanent, etc.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 11:20:19 AM »

One-Arm FWIW once you have your tissue in place, you can use 19% iso alcohol with a fine brush and flow through like the "dope method"

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: