Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2021, 09:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DPC Aero-Werkes Fokker  (Read 1177 times)
Brenda
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »

Well I've been in Az for a day now so time to start building. For the first build on the road here I decided on the DPC laser cut Fokker E-III kit ST A23 based on Sterling's kit. I decided to use Brodak 1/2a electric for power. I started this kit before in LA but had a tube of glue explode on wood so had to get a new kit. It is 102deg outside so have to wait till 1700hours to start building. I will use Japanese tissue to cover it and SIG cream dope. As it is electric I don't need to go all out on fuel proofing.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/Dirtyharriet_2007/NewFokker_zps3tmuipuc.jpg
DPC Aero-Werkes Fokker
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »

Brenda,
   Looking forward to your build. This should be a lot of fun. Especially
since your going electric CL. Here's a pic of a completed SRK by Steve
Sweeney built for RP. Hope it may serve to inspire.

Skyraider
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DPC Aero-Werkes Fokker
Re: DPC Aero-Werkes Fokker
Brenda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »

Brenda,
   Looking forward to your build. This should be a lot of fun. Especially
since your going electric CL. Here's a pic of a completed SRK by Steve
Sweeney built for RP. Hope it may serve to inspire.

Skyraider

I like that. I going to use a few parts from orig kit like the wheels. The orig plastic parts are really thin and sort of junk. I got the wing done last night. As it is CL I made the wing flat as a board. I will add a tiny bit of weight to outside wing to compensate for weight of lines. I'm using a tiny 7.4v lipo so it should fit under wing in a hatch. I really want to do the flying wires as that is what really sets the craft apart from others. It just has that "look".
Brenda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »

Well it looks like nature or something is against me. This is the 2nd DPC Fokker that died on the board. First one had a tube of glue explode on to it. Now this one got killed by what was called a "micro burst". It was sunny, 0 wind, and good day. Out of no place came a 40+MPH wind and rain. Ripped the awning right off and soaked the poor Fokker still sitting on building board.

https://youtu.be/bEyEulUkmPg
skyraider
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »

Brenda,
   Relax. It will dry out without to many problems ( I hope ). But if its wasted
give me a shout and we'll see what can be done. Sorry to hear of the mishap.
There are worst things that could have happened. I wasn't used to the sudden
weather changes here also so it took a bit of getting used to. Its so weird here
in NM! Where we live, I can go through the four seasons in a day ( no joke ).

Skyraider
Brenda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »

Brenda,
weather changes here also so it took a bit of getting used to. Its so weird here

Skyraider

I've got the steel on the ground and it is drying out. Don't like the weather? Don't worry give in a hour it will change. Well not really in Az it goes from hot to hotter. I was told that the micro burst was the first one in 10 years to hit here.
Brenda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »

Brenda,

Skyraider

Well I can save the wood and it looks like all the parts are dry now. Problem is the paper parts are all DOA. I don't think I could have used them anyhow. My issue is lack of part ID paper. I tried to load CD that came with it and no joy. CD is blank. My 1960's plans sort of made it through the wet but now it's missing corners and such. Any chance you can email me the part ID file?
skyraider
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »

Brenda,
      Files sent via email.  Hope it works for you.  Should be finishing the P-38 sometime
tomorrow afternoon.

Skyraider
Brenda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 11:21:17 PM »

Brenda,
      Files sent via email.  Hope it works for you.  Should be finishing the P-38 sometime
tomorrow afternoon.

Skyraider

Sweet! I got the file. I have a idea for covering the P-38 already. Got some alum tape for duct work from Home Depot. Sticky as all get out and it is more or less real thick alum foil with sticky stuff on it. It's 2in wide and I can put it down on each rib. Or in theory anyhow.
SteveSw
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »

Hi Brenda,

Just found this thread as I usually don't venture into C/L land being a rubber builder and flyer. I'm sure you're having a blast building one of Dave's SRK kits. Having built one years ago using the Sterling (pun intended) wood, to say that I was impressed by the all around improvements Dave made to the kit would be an understatement. And I must say that I'm kinda intrigued by electric C/L. Would love to see some pix of it when its done!

Steve
Brenda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »

Hi Brenda,

Just found this thread as I usually don't venture into C/L land being a rubber builder and flyer. I'm sure you're having a blast building one of Dave's SRK kits. Having built one years ago using the Sterling (pun intended) wood, to say that I was impressed by the all around improvements Dave made to the kit would be an understatement. And I must say that I'm kinda intrigued by electric C/L. Would love to see some pix of it when its done!

Steve

Howdy Steve,

Look under C/L Trainer to see the other Sterling Fokker. I even made a video of it flying with electric. Going from trainer to stunt is as easy as swapping out a prop.The Brodak .049 setup is the same as a Cox .049 with smaller prop and like a TeeDee with larger prop. No need for special tanks either.
Brenda
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »

Well it was a weird build. Kit itself was great. Lets run down the problems. I had a tube of Sig-MENT explode on the wood. Vicki sat on the wing. Cat jumped onto wing. Small tornado and rain got it. Cat thought it was a pinata and clawed fuse.

Took it to helipad for first flight. Wow does it move way faster than any of my Cox .049 powered planes. I had to fill entire cowling area with ballast and I'm guessing it was from all the repairs. It was really a GREAT flyer. I even had a video but Vicki, who was running cam, pressed button one to many times and only got the start. I'll recharge battery, eat, get a drink, and try filming again. Now that I know it works I will add pilot, gun, and some rigging.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/Dirtyharriet_2007/MOV_0002_zpsa6uo5lch.mp4
DPC Aero-Werkes Fokker
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: