Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 05, 2019, 04:58:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: History of Folders  (Read 581 times)
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »

With the 4 second motor run for F1C it looks like Folders will be the way to go.
Who introduced folders to power models?
I flew with the Toronto FAI Group in the late 60's and Jack McGillivray was flying a CoxTD 15 folder about 1968 or 1969.
His had no pylon and although I saw the model, never did see it fly.
I built a Cox 049 TD version of my Hi-Tee design with pylon at that time. With floppy hinges It did not fly consistently so I canned the idea.
On a MAAC Magazine a couple of years ago in an obituary tribute to Jack there were a couple of photos of Jack's folder.
It would be interesting to see who conceived the idea and the trials and tribulations of its development.
There are a few Toronto guys of that era still flying (Brian Eggleston, Leslie Farkas, Peter Allnut and Jack Humphries) who may be able to fill in some details.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
History of Folders

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »

In the 1957-58 Zaic year book on page 69 is Hank Cole's flapper not a folder but still very cool.The first folder  I remember came out of Canada sometime in the mid 1970's.Was a A1\2 and reports gave it a good review.I still have the article some where in the impossible to find file.
Soc
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:31:13 PM »

Greetings John

I came across the item below a few years back.

Its part of a round up on new developments in power models in a '64 copy of MAN

Naturally I sent it to Roy Summersby when he became WC.

Cheers

Sean
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: History of Folders
Re: History of Folders
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 02:35:35 PM »

I now recall seing that article and photo. Quite interesting & one can see the similarities to current folder advancements.
I really like the Oldsmobile ('58 IMO?) & Gerry Ritz's banged & bandaged up fingers, for different reasons of course!
FFers are & always have been a hardy group! (or maybe we just don't know when to stop beating our heads against the walls... Undecided Grin)

Leeper
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 03:40:40 PM »

If I recall correctly, Jack McGillivary's class A folder actually won the US Nats. Mid to late 60's?
So it might be the first "successful" folder.
I recall seeing an article about it with sketches and photos. Norm Beattie (BC) brought the article out to Lost Hills a few years back and showed Verbitsky and Babenko who were fascinated just how similar Jack's final solution was to the modern folders. No carbon used in those days but the concept was very similar.

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »

I remember trying to covert an old A ship.Had the release made but the wing hinges were my down fall.Gave up before it was finished.I think Tony is right it was flown at a Nationals.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: