Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2019, 05:49:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Robin James Whoopee  (Read 1229 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »

Having just had the unwelcome news that our landlord is selling the house from under us, I am kind of unwilling to start any big builds at the moment. Sizeable half built airframes and house moves do not mix well! This lovely little 10" span foam quintuplane should be fine, though! I've built several of these since the plan was given away in AM and all have flown well. It's one of those models that it's always nice to have kicking round for a quick fly whenever the chance presents itself!

Most of the building effort is in making the card templates for the foam parts. Most of the model is 2mm wallpaper lining foam with balsa in the more stressed parts. This one will have a few bits of carbon rod here and there. I think I've built 5 to date, so I know the vulnerable bits quite well by now!

Back when I have got somewhere,

Dan.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:29:52 AM »

Looked at this one several times Dan. Is it worth using some of that lovely depron sheet that Flitehook sell rather than than the lining foam of the original? Get a much nicer finish . . .
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 12:41:53 PM »

I'd thought of that, but depron is much heavier and the wall foam is stiffer and better surfaced if you run over it with a film iron at around 120 degrees. Any cooler and no effect. Any hotter and you end up with a mess of melted foam! I was trying to make this a bit "posher" than my last one, so I decided to rule rib lines on. 5 Wings and around 200 lines later, I am regretting it! I'm going to spray finish with Tamiya acrylic on the fus, but the fact that the whole thing has to be assembled as one, so to speak, means that there will be some major masking involved!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »

Fuselage and wings built and together! Just the aforementioned masking the wings and spraying the fus. before adding the many bits of tail. Brown MJ70 to bolt on and wheels to do!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »

Stalled on this for a bit, but house move now out of the way and I have a workshop again! Progress will be resumed as soon as poss!

Dan.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »

I hope the move all went well and I'm looking forward to seeing what this model looks like.
John
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »

The half-built Whoopee finally guilted me into finishing it after the Tiggie and Jodel. Probably the 5th I,ve built over the years since it was published; just a cool flyer!

Cheers,

Dan.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Robin James Whoopee
Re: Robin James Whoopee
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:39:19 AM »

Well that's certainly different Dan Smiley Worth the wait.
Good luck with it.
John
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »

Had this out at the NCMAC Fun Fly at the weekend. Flat calm on the Sunday, so this spent a good amount of time looking ridiculous in the air. Great fliers! I think the plan is in the Plan Gallery, so build one if you want a good laugh!

Cheers,

Dan.

PS It is indeed in the Plan Gallery, but it's spelt "Whoopie" for search purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: