Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 06:23:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ord Hume  (Read 2880 times)
Black Arrow
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »

Does anyone know of a good plan for an Ord Hume that will fly well? I would like something around 16 inch WS but I'm interested in anything I can find. I'm not looking for dead accurate scale, just a good flying little plane that won't take me forever to build. I need to replace the little yellow plane. LOL!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:26:43 PM by Black Arrow » Logged

The Research Aerosquadron - Death From Above!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 97

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:58:46 PM »

Walt Mooney did a set of plans for this aircraft. Go here:
http://web.mac.com/tectonite/iWeb/Site%205/Mooney_files/Ord-Hume-O-H-8.jpg

If you have any documentation for this aircraft, please share it with me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:00:25 PM by Maxout » Logged
Black Arrow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:08:29 PM »

Walt Mooney did a set of plans for this aircraft. Go here:
http://web.mac.com/tectonite/iWeb/Site%205/Mooney_files/Ord-Hume-O-H-8.jpg

If you have any documentation for this aircraft, please share it with me.

Thank you so much for your help. You can be sure that if I did in fact have or find any documentation I will gladly share it with you. I know virtually nothing about the aircraft at this point. I am surprised that googling it in a few different wordings hasn't yielded much at all.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:12:57 PM »

Perhaps a good study of Auster aircraft would turn up some info on the Ord-Hume. I got this lead when I was building mine, I forget from where, and I never followed up on it. But the Ord-Hume does look a bit like an Auster knock off.

The Threadkiller!
Black Arrow
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:10:48 PM »

Crabby: Yes, I did find some pictures of the Auster and there is quite a similarity. The window arragements and the tail shape are the obvious differences that I see. Thanks for the tip. Maybe something will yet be found.

albackstrom
OOS, August 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »

I think the Ord Hume is basically a cabin version of the Luton Minor.

Al Backstrom USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »

Arthur Ord-Hume is a person, not an airplane. It's a Luton Minor Coupe, G-ARIF and there are pictures and other useful data at http://www.lutonminor.com/

Mark

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 08:29:25 PM »

Here's a book you might find helpful:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLIGHT-ON-FRAIL-WINGS-PETROL-DOPE-SINGING-WIRES_W0QQitemZ380038604255QQihZ025QQcategoryZ274QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

Mark
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »

A reply to an old post:

Mr. Ord Hume is very much alive, and I recently wrote to him to inquire about the color of the prototype. He informed me that the aircraft was "white with blue trim," but provided no additional information.

I built Mooney's version (sheet fuse and all) and it flew like it was on rails with the littlest of the Brown CO2 motors.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
schnellwilli

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »

Mr. Ord Hume is very much alive, and I recently wrote to him to inquire about the color of the prototype. He informed me that the aircraft was "white with blue trim," but provided no additional information.

I built Mooney's version (sheet fuse and all) and it flew like it was on rails with the littlest of the Brown CO2 motors.

I used to correspond with Mr. Ord Hume. He was a player piano fan and used to buy the paper tapes from a good friend who made an ingenious machine which duplicated them. It is a nice flying subject and easy to build. My wife built one which won 4th place AMA P-Nut at the 1976 Nats. If you write to him again you might want to ask him about his player piano hobby.
buzzard bait
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »

I like the little OH-7, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to make a model of it.  Walt Mooney's plan seems way off; I think the Model Airplane News plan, an 18 incher, was better, but if you look at the pics of the derelict OH-7 on the Luton Minor website it looks like the rear of the cabin is curved under the wing.  At least that's the only way I can make sense of the photos.

Also, the wing shape on both the Mooney and MAN plans is not the same as a Luton Minor.  Look at the wing tips.  I can't reconcile a Luton Minor wing, simply transferred to a different fuselage, with the proportions shown on either plan.  I'm not even sure what the wingspan was.

If anyone knows Mr. Ord-Hume well enough to get a response from him, it would be nice to ask a few questions that might make it possible to build a reasonably accurate models.

Jim
wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

I have actually corresponded with Mr. Ord-Hume.  He told me that the OH-7 was white with blue trim; he did not admit to having any photos, nor to how/where the trim was applied.

Hope that helps.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »

Here's a pic I DID locate, that I hope reproduces well.  Judging by the pic, I'd say that the upper half of the fuse and rudder are blue, lower half of the fuse white...wing and tail are Huh?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Ord Hume

buzzard bait
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »

Yes, here's the other pic.  I think the rounded turtledeck was still rounded where it met the wing.  In other words, the inside top of the cabin was curved, not rectangular.  But I'm not sure about that.  And I still don't know what the wings looked like.  Was there a center section with some dihedral?  Did the center section add to the wingspan?  Or was it a Luton Minor wing grafted to another fuselage?  If so, then both the Mooney and the MAN plans are quite wrong.

Jim
wordguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »

OMG!!!!  Fuse aft of wing TE looks like a SPARKY!  Say it ain't so,  Joe!

gollywock
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 02:24:54 AM »

I am currently building Walt Mooney's design of this airplane and have run into all the same problems of documentation. Walt claimed in his article that a three-view could be had in the Jane's All The World's Aircraft of 70-71. If that could be tracked down perhaps some of the mystery could be solved. Especially, that rear cabin area. At one time when in high school I had a Jane's book with a huge collection of designs. Wish it could be found but have a sneaking suspicion it was destroyed in a minor flood. I get the feeling the plan was modified to make construction easy. Noticed that Walt did that a number of times as it seemed he was more concerned with ease of construction and flyability than total accuracy all the time. Most people not being contest flyers. Finally, The one photo available was enlarged and lightened to double check that rear cabin area and be sure it wasn't just an optical illusion caused by the deep shadows. But it proved to come to a single point. So the Mooney plan is way off. It appears looking at a Luton that the turtle deck was just curved up higher and the cabin wrapped around it. If anyone has any further information to add to this would be great and I will continue searching. Won't be buying any Jane's books anytime soon as the ones I found for sale were around $550.00.
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 03:48:01 PM »

I found a photo just by accident in a June 1961 issue of the EAA's Sport Aviation magazine page 14 of Arthur Ord Hume himself crouching next to the unfinished fuselage he built in the attic of his home on the Isle of Wight, England.  The photo shows the uncovered rear fuselage which appeares to look like the rear fuselage of a J-3 cub right at the trailing edge of the wing and then the stringers  transition to a half circle at the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. In the colored photos above of the fuselage in a garage, the rear fuselage is damaged.  The rear window  in the photo appears to wrap around to a point sort of like a Comet Sparky but the real airplane was not built that way.  Also of interest is that the upper longeron  of the rear fuselage was a continuation of the upper longeron just under the windows from the nose to the tail. The rear fuselage above this longeron was all just light formers and stringers.  Everything below the upper longeron was covered in sheet plywood.  Sorry I can't show this photo here but I do not have a scanner. Maybe someone else with this magazine can help.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »

You won’t find much on this one as i believe A O-H never completed much less flew it. It’s not the same aircraft as the Luton Major (see pic) which O-H was involved with along with it’s designer C H Latimer-Needham.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »

From 6/1961 Sport Aviation, p.14

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 11:56:09 AM »

Yes thank you.  That is the photo.  I built Walt Mooney's p-nut model way back in the 1970's when I was in high school.  Walt had no information in Model Builder magazine as to color or markings so mine was all orange with my AMA number as registration.  I only flew it indoors and it was a perfect success  with  little to no trimming.  It flew as on rails.    Later I found out that Walt had little information on it too.  I'm sure he just wanted it simple model with lightness in mind and he drew as he seemed fit.   I have always wanted to do a slightly larger version which I will draw up with the better information available. Arthur Ord-Hume told me it was to have a horizontally opposed engine which is quite different from the Mooney plan which appears to have a Gypsy engine.  What that would have looked like is anybody's guess.  Any Luton Minor front end engine installation would due I suppose.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »

Looks like his 'workshop' was inspired by the glider secretly built in Colditz...
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »

Bingo.
I would suggest the horizontally opposed engine would be either the J.A.P. or Aeronca two cylinder engines used on many of the Luton Minors.

buzzard,
Wing tip shape (and tail shapes) can vary considerably on the Luton Minors.  See pic.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: