Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 03:54:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee's Hobbies Bristol Scout Kit  (Read 7075 times)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2019, 04:59:02 PM »

Couldn't resist the superb weather today to indulge in a few more outdoor flights... especially useful as much CA was added after the indoor crunch-fest a week ago!   Shocked

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dtoAFwJJKRrErn2e9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RdLfBCtw8qAsdCqm9

Perry now on leave... until next weekend at Walsall!
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »

Jon,
       I love your long grass. The Bristol Scout looks good, and stable. How tight is the turn, is it OK for the hall?
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2019, 06:53:46 PM »

Looking very nice! The turn should fit within the walls alright- especicially with less drift indoors.

(Maybe get them to move the ceiling up a bit though.)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2019, 02:44:34 AM »

Yes, that grass is so lush and perfect at the moment!  Smiley

The turn is probably fine for Walsall.  The second video was after a micro-tweak of the rudder for a slightly tighter circle than the first one.  The Scout is so light and kite-some that the very slightest breeze sends it scrawling downwind, with a less regular (apparently wider?) circle.

Height is easily controlled by altering the amount and duration of Phase 1 power.  These outdoor flights were on 100% for 25-30 secs, with 15-20secs Phase 2 run-down.  Indoors at Walsall I'll start trimming for a ROG at say 75% for 15 secs with a 5-10 sec run-down, and increase variables as necessary for a decent (but safe!!!) patrol. 
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2019, 02:54:57 PM »

Nailed it Jon: well done.

15 secs at 75% power will very likely put it dangerously high at Walsall, and with such a short wind down it will be dead stick and straightening out towards a wall above reach of a catcher.

Typically i find  the first phase is quite short but relatively high power to get the model off the ground, then a long wind down means the model will continue to climb for the early part of the second phase. Having high phase 1 power and a long wind down means you’re maintaining a high proportion of that power for a fair while into phase 2: plenty to continue the climb then cruise.

For the first indoor ROG might i suggest approx 75% for 5-8 secs, then about 15-20 secs wind down: then it won’t get too high to catch it if the turn is off or the launch point is out of position, as the one thing you can’t check beforehand is what it does in the way of a takeoff run.
Monz
Silver Member

Kudos: 151

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »

That's looking great Jon, a far cry from the frustrations of the previous CO2 power.

Where is that field? It'd be worth a drive for some free flight in the weather we've just had.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »

Another little cracker, Jon.
Thanks Graham, for the description of the phases. I'm rusty with regards to the Zombie ... can't remember if there is more than one version?
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2019, 04:31:07 PM »

Nailed it Jon: well done.

15 secs at 75% power will very likely put it dangerously high at Walsall, and with such a short wind down it will be dead stick and straightening out towards a wall above reach of a catcher.

Typically i find  the first phase is quite short but relatively high power to get the model off the ground, then a long wind down means the model will continue to climb for the early part of the second phase. Having high phase 1 power and a long wind down means you’re maintaining a high proportion of that power for a fair while into phase 2: plenty to continue the climb then cruise.

For the first indoor ROG might i suggest approx 75% for 5-8 secs, then about 15-20 secs wind down: then it won’t get too high to catch it if the turn is off or the launch point is out of position, as the one thing you can’t check beforehand is what it does in the way of a takeoff run.

Thanks for this guidance Graham, fully understood now and really appreciated.

Of course a longer wind-down relative to the first phase will see a more gradual falling off of power than what I've been doing outdoors.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »

That's looking great Jon, a far cry from the frustrations of the previous CO2 power.

Where is that field? It'd be worth a drive for some free flight in the weather we've just had.

Cheers Monz!

The field is a three minute drive from home!  Grin  It's a bit exposed if there's any real breeze blowing, but its my first port of call in calm weather for general-purpose FF malarkey.  You're totally welcome to pop over next time there's calm weather - and bring the Pink Beastie!

I also go there for DLG stuff.  As you're aware I missed the DLG teach-in at Buckminster this weekend.  Couldn't be helped:  I still haven't even opened the box the Auri came in from Hyperflight ages ago, let alone get round to the installation!  Shocked  Was first really busy with work, more recently been working feverishly on a top-secret Peanut project  Cool  then major priority this last week was to help the Kid get his Jodel complete, maidened outdoors and ready for the Nats next weekend!

Assume you'll be at the Nats?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 04:59:47 PM by Jack Plane » Logged
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2019, 05:08:41 PM »

Russ,

Only one generally commercially available Zombie to my knowledge, with all but the earliest having the firmware to allow the wind-down facility. There may have been a few very early prototypes that Richard C and Pete S tested, and may still use.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »

Thanks Graham, I think it might be Derek's timer I have in mind? It's the climbing through the initial wind down that I hadn't considered before. I have used a Zombie, but over a decade ago now ... and only in a Sig Cabinaire test bed.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »

It's well sorted now Jon and looks magnificent cruising slowly. Good luck with it.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: