Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 06:18:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: new fun event  (Read 2962 times)
ddock
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »

Check out the NFFS web-site and go to the ALL GAS forum. There is a proposal for a 1/2 a(TD) Golden age of Free Flight event (1958 to 1969). Do we need another event?...No, But, Its all about building a new model and having fun! I'm in.
DDock
sgblake
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »

I'm in too; it's a great idea. I can fly my one-design Bounty Hunter, but I hope to have a new model for this event if it's held at the 2016 Nats. I was thinking a Mexi-Boy, but am still looking at other designs.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »

DDock, you've got the right idea.Fly would you have and be thinking of what to build next.The year starts at 1957 to 1969 tons of great models in those years and you can scale down a large model.I was thinking of scaled down FAI models that I've always liked.The one design idea has given us many good models that only got flown a couple times now they have a new life.I'm all in for this event and am hoping more will join in all the fun.    Bruce
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 10:29:13 PM »

Looks like a fun event for you power guys. I look forward to watching and timing some of those planes!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »

As Bruce said, there are lots of cool models that can be scaled down. A few that quite interest me are Roger Simpson's FAI "Centurion" and the similar Cherny "Orbiteer" as well as Al Vela's "Lipstick"

Cheers,
Nigel

My ex-wife hates airplanes
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »

I am very enthusiastic about this new event too, I only wish I hadn't sold off so many Tee Dees!
I dusted off the plans for my first power model a few days ago, the Dave Hipperson Sloworm published in Model Aircraft, Jan 1965 which I built (with help from my Dad) when I was 11.
I've got to say, it isn't very pretty, though..............

JB

Gliders are a part of me.
Brian J Y
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:22:49 PM »

John,

What about George French's 1/2A Train from January 1969 Aeromodeller (I think) if you want a prettier model?

Brian
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »

You're right Brian, and I have the plan.
I built one a few years ago, plus I have a pair of Night Trains, too.

The Sloworm did cause some misty eyed feelings of nostalgia, though. You know, when it was calm every time we went to Chobham, when even local club contests had 30 entries, and the M3 Motorway was way into the future.....

Ho hum  Smiley

Brian J Y
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 02:39:20 PM »

Well I knew you had a certain liking for the Night Train family hence the prompt!

Given your understandably nostalgic feelings towards the Sloworm it may be necessary to build them both for comparison/scientific purposes.

Don't forget not only was it calm every time we went to Chobham, but also there was an event just about every week.

I can scan the article that accompanied the plan if you desire.

Brian
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »

Ah, Chobham .... field of dreams.....

Adders, too .....
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »

I dusted off the plans for my first power model a few days ago, the Dave Hipperson Sloworm published in Model Aircraft, Jan 1965 which I built (with help from my Dad) when I was 11.
Funny you should mention the Sloworm. It was also my first power model. I built a bunch of them when I was 14 or so and they all flew great. My last version had a very hot TD on high nitro with a thinned down, reduced undercamber airfoil. It climbed very fast indeed!

Tmat

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »

My first power contest was a Croydon Saturday evening do at Chobham in the aforementioned perfect conditions, I did 2 maxes and a 2:20 in Open Power - with the Sloworm, of course. It outlasted 2 Tee Dees. It was a popular design, and easy to build.

On my last visit to Chobham in 2012 I encountered cows, not Adders. Film makers used Chobham quite a bit back in the day, too; Carry On Cowboy having quite a bit of Chobham footage.

Glad to hear about your Sloworms Tony, I'm sure DH would be chuffed!
We seem to have digressed somewhat...........

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »

John,if you need a TD I have 19 of them,I beat you could get one for a good price.I need to build a Classic like my Dad's FAI model,my 1/2A was what he scaled to get the FAI model .But I also like what Nigel said a Centurion or Jai Fai might be fun to try.There are a bunch, looks like fun to me.    Bruce
john thompson
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 04:17:26 AM »

As Chobham has been mentioned, an update for the nostalgic . The cattle are only on the Common through out the summer , contained by electric fences. Some folk are so poor that the batteries for these fences have been stolen on occasions , notwithstanding that it would require a 1/2 mile walk to get them and they are really, really big ones ! The cattle as I joke with the Rangers ,mow the grass down which now allows one to see where one can break a leg rather than the haphazard possibility without them ! The cattle are normally on three separate locations , one being the main area where we are allowed to fly . In fact we do not see them very often as the breed Galloway's do not like the sun so they stay during the day under the trees , on the east side leading up to the old tank factory  " race " track . The tank factory is now mainly film studios . The area is much more wooded than 50 years ago and with limited money the Rangers try to have them cut back so as to preserve the unique nature of this Heath and Grass land . We consider ourselves extremely lucky that we are continued to be allowed to use the site . In fact it is one of the few places in the country where on the official maps of the Common it is marked where we are allowed to fly . Most other Councils will not permit model flying on their (our ? ) "Common " land.
As for 30 entries in competitions , now there are about 12 registered FF users ( about 130 Radio folk who fly up on the hill )  . Last Monday we had a tree chop  when 6 of us managed to turn up ,others had trifling excuses , having to walk with a walking stick , flat car batteries, and car in for servicing , and of course the Gadabout who was in France for a Coupe contest , where from his reports , more wine and food was consumed than actual flying , mind you zero temperatures and 25/30 mph winds did not help . The average age of these 12 I would say is late 70's , oldest 85 .
Still we consider ourselves fortunate to be able to continue to use the site (available 365 days a year ) and enjoy ourselves . Hope this brings misty eyes to those that remember the site in its' hey day.
We can not use the site this weekend as they are making a Highway film using horse and carriages along the East / West bridle path , rather spoils the scene if a Coupe is seen to descend on DT in the back ground.
Interestingly it is now 60 years last August that I first flew at Chobham with my arrival from Dublin . john
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »

John,if you need a TD I have 19 of them,I beat you could get one for a good price.I need to build a Classic like my Dad's FAI model,my 1/2A was what he scaled to get the FAI model .But I also like what Nigel said a Centurion or Jai Fai might be fun to try.There are a bunch, looks like fun to me.    Bruce

I had the Centurion plan printed at 75%. That puts the wing area at roughly 260 sq in.
Last night I had an idea that Canadian Al Jupp's "Ariel" FAI model would also be a good candidate for scaling. Al made the 1967 Canadian team as an alternate with this model but in the end did not attend the world champs. That model can be found in the 1967-1968 Aeromodeller Annual. It's very pretty (at least to my eye) and I have always admired it. I was a boy when my father and the rest were practicing for the world champs and recall Al flying the Ariel. I also recall being employed as a model chaser.  Smiley Today I will have the print shop enlarge the Aeromodeller Annual Ariel drawing to 1/2a size. Incidently, I did the math last night for scaling this model and once again 75% seems to be about right......

Cheers,
Nigel   

monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 10:25:09 AM »

Here's the Ariel: http://www.faipower.com/models/full-size/pln-s001-024.jpg

It's just incorrectly listed on the site as 1971. 

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:44:16 PM »

Set me aside a fast Tee Dee please Bruce, I've got to get an edge on this Monocoupe fellow!

JT's description of modern-day Chobham made me go and Google it. It is said to be 1400 acres which makes it a pretty big piece of land (I believe Barkston Heath airfield is between 600 and 700 acres). The topography was always the challenge in the heyday for free flight there. A 7 flight FAI contest was very hard work even when we were young. A horse might have made things easier!

Here's a youthful Dave Hipperson with the Sloworm, and that's Chobham in the background. Reading paragraph one, he built ten 1/2As in a year!
JB
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: new fun event

monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 02:58:17 PM »

Set me aside a fast Tee Dee please Bruce, I've got to get an edge on this Monocoupe fellow!

JB

Don't do it, Bruce!  Grin

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »

Here's a youthful Dave Hipperson with the Sloworm, and that's Chobham in the background. Reading paragraph one, he built ten 1/2As in a year!

That was probably before he met Sue  Wink
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »

Well before La Belle Sue  .....    Grin
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »

I know this event and others like it such as vintage FAI interest people for various reasons. Many who are older than myself because they were active during this period and these are the models they used to fly.
For me, I was just ten years old in 1968 and just starting to build models so my memories are of being at the flying field with my father. I was watching these models being flown and wishing I could build and fly them too.
I built my first really successful power model around 1971 (a 1/2a Uranus) and went from there. I tend to build what interests me these days even if there is no real event for them as I'm not so competition oriented as I used to be. Events such as these are great because I think it pulls in people that are competition oriented as well and ultimately I hope we will see many of these cool models built. I'm looking forward to seeing what people build!
I encourage people to post pictures of their models on this thread!

Cheers,
Nigel  Smiley   

gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »

Now if I was closer!

Just to join in mentally, I'll take a couple of pics when I get the chance of suitable? things.

It is a good idea to get pics on though "monocoupe", and like you I like building and flying things that were about when I was much younger.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 07:53:12 PM »

Nigel,I've  been going through my trustee 1964-65 Zaic yearbook and the Faital jumps out at me,also the Rist-Rast is another and the Uranus, it like it can go on for ever.John do I have to run all 19 to find you a good one?How about I just let you put you hand in and grab one.I'll throw in a KK needle valve.
monocoupe110
Bronze Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 10:19:34 PM »

Gossie, by all means post pictures. I think that the internet is a great way for people like us to be able to share the hobby even though there are many miles between us and perhaps will never fly together at the same location.

Bruce, yes, the Faital is a good one. I think I may have the full size plans for it. I can scan them for you if you like. I have a 1/2a Uranus all cut and the stab built as well as an FAI Uranus short kit and a series 61 K&B .15R for it. I just need more time!!!!

Cheers,
Nigel

gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »

John Buskell was good enough to scan SLOWORM plan to me.
I have a spare TD.049/.051 and may build it.   Very simple model that looks right.

Thanks John.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: