Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 28, 2021, 09:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aemacchi EDF jet maiden  (Read 796 times)
aemacchi
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:20:54 AM »

Hi all, well finally finished my Aemacchi jet. This was built from a Fly Fly foam kit but I spent a lot of time modifying and strengthening many parts of the airframe before filling in all the panel lines then applying lightweight fiberglass cloth using epoxy resin. The model was finished using 1K lacquar paint and trimmed using sign writers vinyl and graphics. After applying graphics the entire model was given 3 coats of !K lacquer clear coat then cut and polished. I have become a fan of glassing foam models as all the hard shaping work has been done and if you spend time the model looks like a composite model.The model is powered with the standard 92mm Fly Fly fan which required quite a bit of work to balance properly. I am using 6 cell 5000 mAh Lipo battery and get easy 4minutes flight at near full power or 6 minutes with fast bursts then moderate throttle.
link below for maiden flights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ZS0HRZZhs&feature=youtu.be
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Aemacchi EDF jet maiden
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 06:04:53 AM »

She's a beauty,well done.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
MAP
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:51:55 PM »

That is a beautiful model,  well done and congratulation's on your maiden flights!!

John
aemacchi
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:56:33 AM »

Hi all, my model now has several dozen flights under its belt but yesterday just as my radio timer alarm sounded a plume of smoke erupted out the rear of model. I managed to shut power and drop undercarriage just before making an uneventful deadstick landing. Fearing the worst I ran to model, removed the canopy and ripped the battery pack out onto the field. What a horrible smell of burnt electrics!
After getting model back to the pit area the main wing was removed and the 120 amp speed controller was still intact  so next I removed the fan. Yep the fan motor had melted down and was so hot that the wires and fan shroud had begun to melt as the motor was still so hot it could not be touched.
Thankfully no other damage had occurred to the model so once back at home I decided to investigate the chances of fitting an all composite Jetfan 90 unit which I had sitting in a cupboard as a spare for my Albatross L39 composite jet. These units are fantastic when paired with a good quality HET motor and the unit I had fitted into position perfect. I now just need to purchase the motor and I can get airborne again.
for those interested here is the link to my L39 jet with a Jetfan 90 running on 6s and the same 120 amp controller. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLSdRN9k21o 
MAP
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »

They have a nice sound,  great flying as well!! 

One day when I think that I can handle the long flight I will come to visit your country,  John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: