Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 18, 2019, 05:48:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cloud Tramp Review  (Read 623 times)
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »

I just built and made the first flights on the Volare Cloud Tramp. It flew very well for me and I hope to still have for next August for the Charles Grant event.

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2015/11/volare-cloud-tramp-review.html

Bill Kuhl
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Cloud Tramp Review
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »

I thought I'd have a go at one of these.

I bought the kit from Vintage Model Company which looks very good with full instructions and decent wood all for £9.99

One question I have about the design is the VMC version has no provision for thrustline changes. Would I be better off fitting a brass plate to hold the nose button rather than the laminated balsa block in the kit,  so I can bend in some downthrust etc or does the design not need thrustline changes.

I notice Bill's example in this thread looks to have none judging from the flying photo

Chris
Re: Cloud Tramp Review
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 03:40:40 PM »

Our club AMAC has been campaigning Cloud Tramps against Peterborough for several years now via postal.  We're getting pretty good at them now and flights over 2 minutes are regular events.  You can get the best out of them with provision for thrust line adjustment.  I use a beefed up version of a wire indoor type mount that has a front and rear leg.  The rear leg has a knee in it (all very anatomical!) which can be squeezed or expanded to adjust down thrust and bent sideways for side thrust
Walt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:46:04 PM »

ZK: may I ask what size/length rubber motor you use on the Cloud Tramp?
Wally
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »

Thanks Mike, very useful.

With that in mind I made up a bearing from some 20 swg brass sheet which uses the kit plastic nose bearing and prop shaft which will allow some adjustment in the rear leg.

ZK: may I ask what size/length rubber motor you use on the Cloud Tramp?

That would be interesting to know too  Wink +2 mins sounds pretty impressive  Cheesy

Chris
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »

There are a few lessons we've learnt along the way.  Build very light so you need less rubber which means a lighter stick which means...  I use a 9" silver prop cut back to the regulation size which gets me a bit more pitch and seems to answer quite well.  I also use a washer soldered to the shaft to take the rubber load, a thrust bearing and one of my patent  absolutely guaranteed freewheeling devices which is important because these things get so high that the glide is a significant component of the flight (or it can be!).  I fly mine on 4 strands of 1/8 braided, 1.75 times the length between hooks.   There are some pictures of my freewheel device in reply #53 in Andrew Darby's VMC Sopwith Triplane thread https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22407.50

Chris your downthrust as bent looks similar to mine.  A reverse S hook is also essential.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »

Thanks for the help Mike.

Well I'm ready for a test flight, though I just re read your post Mike and see the reference to a reverse S hook so I'll make up a new prop shaft tomorrow.

Just need the wind to drop and for it to stop raining  Undecided

As far as the VMC kit goes, I think its very good with good light wood , my wings were decent quarter grain, and it came with clear instructions and even a membership form for SAM 35

Total build time was around 4 hours which was spread over a few days to allow for various bits to dry, I steamed the wings to shape and used Aliphatic glue as well as making my own nose bearing from some sheet brass. With Cyno and the balsa block nose bearing you could probably build one in a couple of hours !!!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »

Hope the flights on the first Saturday of August are full of fun. The model usually goes well.

Have FUN
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »

Thanks flyace

The Oxford Model Flying Club are having a mass launch on the Saturday 3rd Aug at 5pm on Port Meadow, Oxford if anyone fancies joining us

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: