Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2019, 06:44:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Merry Christmas - Flying Angel 2015  (Read 968 times)
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »

Merry Christmas to you all!

Here is my 2015 version of my flying angel. The first version was a foam version in 2012 and it didn't fly very well. After a lot of tweaking I got it to fly and I decided to build a better angel this year. I flew it yesterday in church, at the childrens X-mas and also after the regular X-mas. It did 1:20 in the only timed flight. It also had a collision with a candle but luckely it didn't caught flame. Wouldn't have been dangerous as the surrounding was all stone but it would have been a pity of the model. I noticed after the next flight that it had a piece of candle wax attached to it's wing. That flight wasn't very smooth and that explained it.

More pictures, stories and eventually a plan will follow...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Merry Christmas - Flying Angel 2015

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »

Merry Christmas Wout.

John
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 07:59:35 PM »

Delightful Wout,
It is interesting to see what your childhood sweetheart looked like.  She must have meant a lot to you for you to have kept the photograph for so long.  Did you marry her in the end?
Seriously, a lovely idea for the Christmas service.
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »

Yep, I married her. But her youth picture suits this angel better :-)

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »

Here is a picture of the 2012 version of my angel. It is now modified into a chuck glider and the children liked the loops it did. It is made from 1 mm beaded foam and wouldn't fly very well as a rubber powered model. I did a lot of experimenting and learned a lot in trimming this model. The biggest problem was the beaded foam which had large holes between the beads. The wing was leaking a lot of air! After I covered the wing in shoe box paper it flew a lot better, but it gained extra weight and the paper made the wing warp. The warping was cured by covering the bottom of the wings also, but now the weight was to high for good indoor flying.  But the extra weight from the shoe box paper were a plus for the use as indoor glider. I also stiffened the tail by coating both sides with wall paper paste. This also eliminated all the stringy fuzz which was left bij the hot wire cutting. This all got embedded in the thin covering of glue. For proper HLG use I should decrease the incidence difference between wing and tail but I think the current trim gives the children more fun.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Merry Christmas - Flying Angel 2015

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: