Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 22, 2019, 08:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: C/L HINGES  (Read 752 times)
woodemt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:41:42 AM »

First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!.  What type of hinges do need to use for my ringmaster build? Huh Smiley
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »

Can't hardly beat cloth "over/under" type. However, I never cared for how they showed thru my finishes.  IRRC, Perfect brand  cloth hinges were actually clipped from aircraft grade cotton.

Mylar hinges work well if you "pin" them with wooden toothpicks. I have also used small Klett R/C type. These too need to be secured either with toothpick or small screw. In packaged bacon, the meat comes on a "frosted" plastic sheet. This works just like mylar, if cleaned well.
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »

If the sun and stars all align then plastic "flex" hinges like mylar will work OK.  However, the freer-moving your hinges are, the better you'll be able to control your plane when the lines are a bit loose.

I prefer the Klett-style hinges, taking great care to not get glue in the hinge.  The don't look original, but they sure work nicely.
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:24:15 AM »

Personally I won't use RC-type hinges on a CL stunt model. "Clothes horse" type fabric hinges are OK for smaller models, but not for anything much larger than a 20-powered stunter, IMHO. The best hinge I ever used, and still use on all my models, is the wire-and-tube type thought up many years ago by old-time UK stunt-flyer Dave Day. I'm going to try to attach the original 1961 article from "Model Aircraft" magazine and hope it works.

G
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: C/L HINGES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: