Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 29, 2020, 11:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sun Fair Aircraft Designs - Slope Master  (Read 1018 times)
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2016, 05:12:50 PM »

I just picked up a Sun Fair Slope Master kit off of Ebay this past week.  It looks like an interesting single wing plane.  Looking the plans over, it looks like it will be a simple build,  Does anyone on the forum have experience building one of these planes?  Any tips on the plane and building process would be greatly appreciated.

D.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Sun Fair Aircraft Designs - Slope Master
Sun Fair Aircraft Designs - Slope Master

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 130

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:55:39 AM »

Build it as shown, but dispense with the sliding tray mixer.  Use two servos side-by-side - one for each surface with mixing from the transmitter or one of the inexpensive electronic, in-plane mixers (if your tranny doesn't have mixing capabilities).  Be sure to use the reflex (elevon raised up) as shown on the plan AND the recommended CG.

Flying wings are generally very responsive all the way down to very slow speeds.  High speed flight usually requires continuous trim changes (less reflex the faster you go), and are a blast to fly - they'll turn on a dime and most will slow down to a real crawl while still retaining control.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:04:22 PM »

Following the directions on the plan sheet, I cut the beveled edge of the TE and cut it to length.  I laid the two TE pieces on the plan sheet and pinned it to the board.  The plans say that gussets on the wing ribs are optional, but using 1/16 X 3/16 balsa strip I cut out a set of gussets for the wing rib connection to the TE.  I then glued all the wing ribs in place using medium CAA.  The plan also called for using a 1/16 X 3/16 balsa strip set about a 1/4" from the front edge of the TE to allow for the 1/16" wing rib cap.  Next up is to install the LE on the front of the ribs.
Re: Sun Fair Aircraft Designs - Slope Master

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »

Work on the Slope Master is progressing as time allows.  I now installed the leading edge and top layer of balsa skin on the wing ribs.  Next steps are to install the under side layer of balsa on the front of the wing and glue on the solid balsa wing tips and shape them to a "toothpick" thick on the outer edge.

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:01:55 PM »

I added the wing tips and shaped and sanded them according to the plans.  The balsa wing tips are quite a chunk of balsa hanging out there on the wing tips.

I also built the fuselage last night and started shaping it this afternoon.  Working with a very sharp plane made it easy to shape the fuselage in to a rounded configuration.  I filled any dings with light putty and waiting for it to dry before doing the final sand.

Next step is glass the center span of the wing and then fit it to the fuselage.

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »

Now that I have the fuselage sanded and smoothed out, I'm thinking for covering it with .75 ounce fiberglass cloth and finishing resin.  Anyone have an opinion pro/con on finishing the fuselage this way?

D.

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »

Well worth the effort. In fact I'd laminate the fuse with multiple layers of .75 cloth. The fuselages usually take the brunt of my slope landing, so more glass the better!

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 11:40:19 PM »

Spent the weekend adding 2 layers of .75 fiberglass cloth to the fuselage and a 3rd layer to the nose.  I used Z-Poxy instead of laminating resin.  It was easy to sand after letting the epoxy set overnight.  I then filled some of the rough seams and divots with Bondo Glazing and Spot putty.  Sanded the fuselage smooth and then sprayed sanding primer over the fuselage.  Finally touched up a few divots that showed up after the primer.  I'll wet sand it in the morning and see what the final surface looks like.

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »

Update:  I finished adding to coats of .75 fiberglass and epoxy resin to the fuselage along with a 3rd coat of glass on the nose and underside of the fuselage.  Sanded, filled and primed the fuselage and now it is seamless.  I then inserted the wing into the fuselage and glued it all together.  More filling of the gaps around the wing joint and primed on top of that.  Sanded it all with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.  I also put one coat of glass on the three fins and mounted the center fin to the fuselage.  I'm planning to paint the fuselage bright white. 

Next I'll lay out the electronics inside the fuselage, remove them and then do the final paint.

I also cut the  elevons to size and shaped them down to a fine taper.  Hinge slots are also cut in both the rear of the wing and front of the elevon.

Don

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »

Where is your slope? Crestline? Little Mountain?

This thread shows a conceptually similar flying wing. Looks like fun.

-Dave
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »

Thanks Dave for sharing the link.

Don

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Donjamin
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »

I laid out the servos, transmitter, elevons and batteries.  Removed them all and then painted the fuselage.  Here is how it looks after the last coat of gloss white paint.  I found out the hard way that Rust-Oleum light gray sanding primer and LustreKote White Primer are incompatible.  When I sprayed the final coat of gloss white enamel, several spots ended up with a crinkle finish.  Like spraying lacquer over enamel - not a good thing.  Lots of wet sanding with 220 sandpaper to take it back to the glass finish and starting over.  This time leaving out the LustreKote white primer.  I won't make that mistake again on future plans.  I sure like the way the plane looks with a fiberglass finish.

Don

Donjamin
Diamond Bar, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: