Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 15, 2019, 10:52:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Don Srull Mig -15  (Read 6304 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 133

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »

What to do while figging out what to do next... As some may remember, I lost OOS my Srull motivated pistachio Mig-15 a few years back. It was soo much fun once I got it "dialed in", then just as I was having the most splendid flying day, she just disintegrated, vanished into thin air! OK so I am doing another one, only much larger, while I think about the Spirit of St. Louis. Nothing is easy and doing a round fuse is problematic if you underestimate it. Here is my prep. I figured out the skewer technique when I did the Aronstein DC-10. This is a sure way to keep everything lined up and on center...You have seen plenty of these Migs built here, I am not going to invest a lot of time doing an internal fan. This thing is gonna be another hell-bent tractor. Stick with me while I try not to make this build a melancholy tear jerking saga! Remember I work standing up!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Don Srull Mig -15
Don Srull Mig -15

The Threadkiller!
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:46:55 PM »

Crabby, what is the source of the plans? Is that a Flying Models magazine source?
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:05:52 PM »

Yes....Flying Models January 1995. This thing even as a pistachio was capable of screaming speed and very high altitude. It is very deceptive in its apparent simplicity.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:23 PM »

Here's my old Mig RIP. I can't wait to see what this new one is gonna be like.
Re: Don Srull Mig -15

The Threadkiller!
Audax
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »

Hi Crabby,

OK, I'll bite...how big is "much larger?"
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 01:48:10 AM »

Hi Rich, I am going with 14" w/s...doesn't seem all that big but my last one was a pistachio, so this one looks huge to me. BTW I built your Staggerwing a while back and had a really good time. It flies as on rails. I am going to dogfight it with the Dave Mitchell Helldiver I finished last week, my wife is gonna pilot the Staggerwing.

The Threadkiller!
Audax
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »

Yup, those swept wing jobs are a lot bigger than the span might lead you to believe. There's usually a long way between hook and peg too.  Once you get it dialed in, it'll cruise a long time. 

Glad to hear of your success with the little S'wing.  I've been amazed at the popularity of that design right from the start.  I've been on a quest for a dimer that can succeed it.  Dave Mitchell's Helldiver looks like a contender!

Rich
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »

here's my example of simple not being easy...the stringers I chose for the job are soft and break easily...next time its gonna be flat strip bass. The rubber bands were intended to go on as I ran the stringer through...but they broke, so I am double gluing with duco, and using rubber band on the ends. I started out notching the formers but they didn't line up too well and they drove my OCD crazy. Here's another pic of my old Mig (RIP)

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »

I took a little break and then I saw some troubles w/ the fuse. A round fuse will mess with your OCD... anyway, I true'd it up. Better that way at least I won't be paying paying Paul with Peter's dividends down the pike.  But like I say, I have learned to love imperfection...  I always replace my fly-aways. This Mig is gonna replace its older sister who went to Hung. I finally felt like starting the wings. Srulls plan calls for conventional ribs but I am a cracked rib fiend, basically because they look cool. I am a visual guy, and I only drink beer that comes in cool looking bottles.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »

Looking around after the last build wised me up, I found a few scraps of well-made silver tissue. It all seems to start with good black esaki... so, I am gonna cover this thing with black, then mist on some good old rattle-can floral silver. Good practice for the Spirit of St. Louis build I am practicing for. I have a nutty neighbor who has made that request. I think I have the machine polished look for the cowl solved. Now a paper motor... I have an imperfect technique for lightweight paper cylinders...

The Threadkiller!
Tommy Wee
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 02:56:28 AM »

Nice set of balsa bones. How much dihedral for the wings? Just interested how the sweepback affects it.
Two of my (many...) all-time favourites are this Mig and Saab J29 Tunnan (Barrel). Have thought of making a peanut of the Saab, maybe sometime.

Tommy

A builder of some, a master of none.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »

Hi Tommy thanks for stopping in...this little Mig is 15" wing span...it shouldn't take any at all but I am going to lift the tips about .25 and wash out the tips .06... My old Mig was a pistachio and I did about the same (in scale).

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »

I admit rebuilding this Mig is purely for my selfish entertainment. You will see what I mean when you see the vids...BUT I am in practice for doing a Spirit of St. Louis and I need to do a nice silver with a rattlecan...My personal conditions include my models look like models and not scale reproductions, hence the rattlecan. Here are a few pics...I am starting with black esaki, the canopy was plunge formed on the stove. Just pull the eraser out of a pencil then drive the metal gizmo into the soft balsa, and bingo you have a stand that will stand up to the plunge.
Please begin with a thick mil plastic or you will wind up with a very thin flimsy result which will be hard to handle. The empanage is where all the charisma lies with this plane, all else is geometric and boring.The close up is just an example of Duco gussets... "Thee Olde Man" was a huge believer in the "glue gusset" RIP

The Threadkiller!
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 09:49:07 PM »

Crabby,
Looks like you are making great progress.  I make my canopies the same way! But never thought of the pencil minus eraser setup.  Good idea!  I'll file that for future use!  Are the plans still available somewhere? 

I'd love to make this one too!  I make paper tubes of all sizes for my models and I quick dry them in the microwave oven for 10 seconds With a couple of laminations on the former they harden up nicely with white elmers glue.  A little tutorial on paper tubes here: Click Here
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »

Hi Sky 9 thanks for the visit! One thing I love about sharing builds is the various bench methods other guys use. Paper tubes have always been a pain for me, your tutorial will be a help. I am going to make a paper motor for my upcoming Spirit. I have made paper cylinders with electrical wiring hardware...(the appliance strap and the threaded rod) they come out fairly well using black esaki. I am looking at paper clay but it seems kind of heavy. I can send you plans for this Mig if you PM me your email address. It was meant for an electric motor (and you build the fan) but I just put a tractor prop on the front. Its easier and I have nobody to impress.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 10:05:01 AM »

Nothing particularly earth-shaking here but just chronical this build...I had to give up on adhesives to detail the canopy and hand paint it. The trick is don't breathe, use a good brush and keep moving. I needed an oxygen tank to do the job Roll Eyes and I will probably have to hit it again. After I skin the tops of the wings I am going to warp in the washout, which probably is unnecessary, because of the swept wing but the plan calls for it and after all,...he is Don Srull Cheesy

The Threadkiller!
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »

When Don speaks, smart men listen!  His Mig 15s are really cool.  Wally Farrel also built one last year or so with Don's coaching.  Years ago, Don built a rubber powered ducted fan Mig 15 for indoor -- was pretty neat!  I like the way your Mig is looking. What color scheme?  I love the red ones.

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »

Hello Pat! thanks for chiming in!  What really got me about this little plane was the speed and the altitude once I got the launch and power source all figged out. I throw mine like a baseball. Doing Don models is like reading one of the classics, and wishing there were more chapters!

The Threadkiller!
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 05:58:34 PM »

Crabby

I talked with Don today about some photos, etc. that he needed and I told him about your Mig 15 build.  He got a kick out of it. 

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 02:20:59 PM »

Here's a couple of color options I am looking at. Of course my choice is the one in the middle, but the one on the left has me aroused... then of course the "no %$#ing way scheme... I see I have to do another canopy... now for the sad news...13.5 grams total weight...on a 14.5 wingspan plane. I shamefully admit to doping the fuse...this thing is getting kind of porky. Pat, thanks for telling Don about this saga! I spoke briefly on the phone with him when I did my Lippisch P-13 (?) That was looong ago.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:06:02 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 05:14:15 PM »

How fortunate Pat is to fly regularly with Don....
Lots of schemes and I can appreciate the simplicity of the silver one, but where did you find the blue checker board one!  What a finish!  I'm with you though, that would be a real task to attempt it! I'm with Pat, the red one looks really nice and fairly simple.
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »

OK after a courage pill I am ready to spray this thing silver... here is my rotating fuse spray booth...put cylindrical fuse back on skewers, place in rotissarie, grab 1 pint of whiskey (Old Grand-Dad) and 1 Fosters, and one rattle-can of flat silver krylon... drink 1 part Old GD to 2 parts Fosters, brace self. With left hand slowly spin fuse now, AND with non-shaky right hand spray silver east to west... do not stop motion or paint. Quit soon! DO NOT LOOK AT RESULTS! walk away, repeat step 1 check in 1 hour....

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 12:46:19 PM »

As I always maintain, I have learned to love imperfection...Here is my imperfect result. But I don't count the flaws. One thing is if you think you are getting to be a good framer, just cover with good esaki and spray it silver...every little problem looks like acne! Oh and if you want to cover a bad frame job use black. It is a great forgiver of cardinal sins! more later! Oh and I re-did the canopy...

The Threadkiller!
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »

Hi Crabby....excellent and fun built thread as always.  Thought I would just let you know that I have spotted a bad problem with your paint job.....the black on that knife handle appears to be flaking off terribly.  You may have to fix it as we all know the paint job of a knife handle is a direct indicator of the knife working well or not.  I do hope this info is helpful! Grin  Please keep up the build threads....they are way too good and much fun.

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 05:32:40 PM »

Thanks for stopping in to say hello Glenn! Yes my tools are all flaky and crusty. I usually have to clear coat em from time to time to keep the flakes out of the job! Grin I am stuck on the paint scheme because the overall weight is reaching the point of no-return... if I keep fooling around I may be powering this thing with a Cox .049!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: