Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2019, 02:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: KK Fairey "Gannet"  (Read 1815 times)
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:11 AM »

I've had my eye on the Gannet for some time now, as a possible (now probable) build for a Sterner contra-prop setup (that still has to be ordered Roll Eyes).  I was just able to score an original kit off fleabay for a very good (= inexpensive) price, that is now on its way to me.

I am wondering if anyone has built this model, and if so, how did it go?  I have the plan, and can see that the dihedral will likely need tweaking, but otherwise looks quite viable.

Anyone?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »

Built one years ago, just after the Telco CO2 motor became available; so that's what I powered mine with. Apart from the mods to fit the CO2 motor and tank it was built straight from the plan using only the kit wood, as I always did in those days. Good reliable performer on not much throtle so lots of engine on time! I still have the plans, and it will one day reappear as an indooor R/c job (if I live that long Grin).
Rob

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »

Thanks Rob, nice to hear that the model flies!
I have a "brand new" Telco that I picked up on a TDY to Greenham Common in '76, that has never been used.  Might be an alternative if for some reason I don't get a CR unit.  I have the innards for a possible rc conversion, but that just kinda goes against my grain for these models - but that could change Roll Eyes.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »

The kit arrived yesterday, in excellent condition.  The only "deficiency" was the shrink-wrap being torn/split (could be seen in the 'bay pic.  These thingies usually bring a much higher price - even here - which was likely due to the picture on the box being "glared out" by the flash.  Lucky for me Smiley.

The contents...  Everthing was in near pristine condition with the exception of the office rubber band holding the stripwood together - it had gone sticky, and hard, fortunately not damaging the wood.  The printed sheets, supposedly 1.6mm, varied between 1.4 and 2.3mm - within the same sheet Shocked - and is very rough.  The printing is good, and I'll be scanning them for upload within the next day or two to join the plan.

Accessories... Rubber band OK, but appears to be cut from an auto inner-tube.  Wheels are nice (red Tongue) resin mouldings, but the thing that was included to be used as a prop is an abomination.

Photos forthcoming Wink.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:

Ex Member

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »

The contents...  Everthing was in near pristine condition with the exception of the office rubber band holding the stripwood together - it had gone sticky, and hard, fortunately not damaging the wood.  The printed sheets, supposedly 1.6mm, varied between 1.4 and 2.3mm - within the same sheet Shocked - and is very rough.  The printing is good, and I'll be scanning them for upload within the next day or two to join the plan.

Accessories... Rubber band OK, but appears to be cut from an auto inner-tube.  Wheels are nice (red Tongue) resin mouldings, but the thing that was included to be used as a prop is an abomination.

That will be a standard Keil Kraft kit then! Grin Cheesy

I'll be interested to see how go get on with this.  I didn't realise that the gallery was missing the part patterns otherwise I would have put them up earlier.  I still can if it saves you a job.....

Andrew
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »

No biggie, Andrew.  I'll need the scan anyway to transfer to decent wood.  The kit IS a true green one.  It even smelled as old as it probably is Lips sealed - like a  stale pha*t Roll Eyes.

The design itself looks quite viable and well thought out.  Might well be my kit scale entry for next year - but with a real CR unit instead of the butt ugly rear, pseudo prop blades.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »

Photos forthcoming Wink.

Pete, I'd love to see some photos of the rubber, wood quality, prop etc. I have blurred memories of a tiny black KK prop that gave you muscle strain if you tried to lift it, some greeny-coloured wood that would stab you with splinters if you touched it, and a little hoop of rubber that would be good for fixing the lids onto jam-jars. . . Ahhh, everything was so much better back then. . .!

Stephen.
Ex Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »

It even smelled as old as it probably is Lips sealed - like a  stale pha*t Roll Eyes

I like that old kit smell, I think that I need to go and get some help Grin
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »

The printwood IS on the Gallery copy of the Gannet, I just checked. So that's another one on my build list.
Rob

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »

The printwood IS on the Gallery copy of the Gannet, I just checked. So that's another one on my build list.
Rob
Yeah, youziz right!  My first download was cropuppted Grin!

A Dedicated Convert to:

Ex Member

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »

You can always buy this kit....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEIL-KRAFT-MODEL-OF-A-FAIREY-GANNET-20-WING-SPAN-UNMADE-BOX-KIT-/300904190410?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item460f4991ca

Or for the same money you could get the same kit at its real value and spend the rest on a decent meal for two....

Grin Grin Grin
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »

Same kit, but mine is apparently older and I paid a LOT less for it Shocked Grin.  Maybe I'll leave it alone for a couple of years and ask 100 GBP Roll Eyes...

Photos make the wood look totally passable (the 1.5² IS not bad at all!), and I'm not sure if anything can be determined from the pic of the inner-tube "motor".
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: KK Fairey "Gannet"

A Dedicated Convert to:

Ex Member

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »

Yeah, that is a "Millington" kit from the 60's /70's the one on eBay is from the 80's until Keil Kraft.......well......."keiled" over.

The Millington kits are worth more as they had the full range.  They discontinued all of the civil ones later on as far as I can tell which makes them worth more. I think the Luscombe Silvair (Bill Dean) is the rarest of them all and i've seen them go for £50.  All that makes that Gannet on eBay hugely overpriced.....

I've got all of the kits (as I'm a bit sad like that Grin) the rubber was variable, always a loop, never strip, even though strip was often mentioned on the plan.  I've just checked and mine is exactly the same as yours, it looks like a section of lorry inner tube to me!  The prop is the standard item.

Andrew
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »

Hi Andrew - can you explain 'Millington' - I don't know the history though I have a built a few kits from the KK & Veron line. I have a soft spot for the Gannet - though nothing soft about the wood as you've all pointed out! Pete, I have not built the Gannet and will be looking forward to seeing how it goes.
cheers
Tim

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Ex Member

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 09:26:33 AM »

Millington is the name of the artist that painted the box arts.  I've not been able to find anything about him/her though.

Previous to that the boxes were just different coloured chevron patterns with a line drawing of the aircraft.

Andrew
Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »

At times I have looked at some of these little models with contra rotating props and have been thinking of doing one with the guts of one of those little indoor helicopters with the co-axial rotors as a propulsion system. With that in mind I came across one at a car boot sale the other week end for $5 so grabbed it. It all works (but is b***dy hard to fly) so the idea has progressed from the "maybe" stage to the "one day" stage.
Just have to finish al the other projects. The little chopper was infra red controlled so there is another thought! Grin
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 02:48:35 AM »

When I was ickle, I spent hard earned pocket money on a train ticket to a model shop advertised on back of Aeromodeller (Addlestone models, I think) just for a rubber motor (like the one that came in my first KK kit). I was disappointed that the biggest bands were the ones they sold for holding wings on big RC models. I asked at the counter and after a very confused conversation about big rubber bands, I remember the bloke eventually pulling rubber strip out of a box.
 'Eh? what is this folley?', I thought. The bloke explained 'that you tie a knot in it and it makes a loop', and I was enlightened...

It wasn't me
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 02:54:50 PM »

Yes, but has anyone built and flown it?
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »

Mr Dennis, have you been waiting patiently these past three years to finally ask that question you just posed? Tongue
Ex Member

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »

I believe Andy S. Is building a larger scale one as we speak...

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »

Thanks Andrew. I was wondering if that very thick wing section would work at that size. I need a new outdoor kit scale model that will not catch lift
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 12:34:40 AM »

Probably 15-20 years ago Lawrie Kelsall (owner of the property we hold our Free Flight ScaleMasters on) had a KK Gannet covered in black tissue that flew a treat. It was the first of those type of models that convinced me they could be made to fly well. Not only did Lawrie fly it at our monthly Indoor meetings but with a bit more rubber it performed well outdoors also. Sorry I've looked but I can't find a photo of it.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 03:18:51 AM »

Thanks Dave, that's what I needed to know
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 05:45:57 AM »

Bill,
     One of the Peterborough members had an electric one that flew very well. I saw it at one of the Friday evening sessions some 5 years ago,
Ricky
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 06:34:58 AM »

Thanks Ricky; its a runner then. I like the colour schemes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: