Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 20, 2019, 08:11:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Don Srull Mig -15  (Read 6322 times)
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

United States United States

Topic starter
I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 09:53:10 AM »

I built a hand sanding jig to get the roots at the correct angle for the dihedral. First I had to add some soft 1/8" so I had something to sand away...then double glued with Duco. This may be the first model I do with a pilot. Nothing like the carved foam statues some of you guys fashion. This plane is at the 163 Komet phase right now. I will try to have the rudder and stab on tonight. I am really watching the weight right now. I picked up some more weight painting the tail 16g :'( I also lost the charm of the visible stick work.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Don Srull Mig -15

The Threadkiller!
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »

Beautiful job, Crabby, and I have a question. Since we don't have a plan in front of us which may explain things, but how did you tie the wings to the fuselage? Heavy duty ring formers at the wing location or what? Thanks.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »

Good morning Tom thank you for stopping in! Well the plan requests "plug in" wings. To receive the "plugs" which are mostly extensions of the spar, etc, there is a plank of sheet glued in between the fuse stringers. The fuse has a center section that is "supposed" to be perfectly cylindrical (not tapered like the front and rear ends), and that is where the wings mount. I did not fool with the plugs and just went for a perfectly sophomoric approach, and did a "Duco double glue" They are on there like stink on $#%%^. I hope I don't ever want to remove 'em.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:53 AM »

Tom brought up a point I neglect sometimes in my builds...a look at the plan I am on...so others can follow along. I am not going to get into the issues of whether or not it is kosher to upload the plan without some kind of authorities blessing, Don Srull, being the guy he is would probably not give a damn, but he may have sold the rights to so & so, whoever, on & on! Why do I care? I'm broke!

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 10:42:30 AM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCkIqMZMmkc

I know this video of my last Mig-15 (pistachio size) has been around some time now, but here it is again. This is a vid we took just before I lost it forever. The vain use of The Maker's name you will hear is not related to the flight, the kid was yelling because he stubbed his toe on something. This was a more laid back flight, the rubber was pretty much played.

The Threadkiller!
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »

Great work.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
Mooney
Gold Member

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »

Haha!  That little jet is screamin'.  With the jet engine sound in the background, it is quite realistic.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 10:52:22 AM »

Hi Balsa Ace and Mooney, Say Mooney are you the same Mooney as Walt's son? forgive my ignorance either way! Here I am giving this little jet the star treatment. I think the stars are too big but I don't think Putin gives a damn and Stalin can yell at me when we play checkers in St. Peter's garden, if we both get there. I hand cut the white stencil, brush on with white acrylic, then cut the stars out of some kinda red. Gluestick 'em in place then flow alcohol through a'la the dope method. Works great for me. I love imperfection anytime I see it

The Threadkiller!
Tommy Wee
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »

Looks great to me. Simple scheme, suits the Mig just fine.

I rather believe that Stalin has no chance of entering any after-life gardens, even though it might actually be interesting to meet him.

Tommy

A builder of some, a master of none.
Mooney
Gold Member

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »

Hi Crabby,
Nope, not related to THE Walt Mooney.  I admit he's one of my fave designers, but nope, not related.  As a boy, I was asked this question and would answer " Yup, he's my Grandpa!"  Never occurred to me there was another Walt Mooney walking around.  Very quickly the conversation would become a mystery to me and I'd realize they were speaking of someone else.  We share a name, but I am alone in my interest of aviation in my family.  Can't imagine what it might've been like if I could build alongside someone like Millard Wells or Walt Mooney!  Haha, I know why my early stuff wouldn't fly
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 08:49:39 PM »

Hi Mooney thanks for setting the record straight....! My Olde Man was an issue. Here is a tack up. I used the blue gummy stuff from Office Depot. I like Soviet planes and poetry. Function before Form always. This thing is as simple as it gets.

The Threadkiller!
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »

Crabby, she's absolutely gorgeous!!! Well Done!  Gotta start mine soon.
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »

Hi Sky 9! thanks for the kind words, If you actually try this thing, don't trust the stringer location on the plan. I found out that (A) they really don't line up or...(B) despite my home-made humdinger notching tool, and all the best intentions I just couldn't hit the mark. My plan was shot from the mag in our old (hand) cranky litho camera at work a ways back, and there is distortion in spite of being in perfect focus. No way did Srull draw em not right on the mark. I have OCD and the wavy stringer thing drove me nuts so I trashed my first fuse and went back to tacking 'em to the outside of the formers, which is a bit of a heavier way to go.

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »

I was looking around the 'net for pics of Mig 15 pilots. I have never put a pilot in any of my models. I came across the story of No Kum Sok who defected with his Mig 15, ignorant of Operation Moolah where the US offered 100,000 to anyone who could surrender a Mig to a US base. It's a good story, and fun to read about what a hellish plane the Mig 15 was to fly. My pistachio (seen in the video) was prone to unexplainable and unrecoverable spins. Out of the blue the thing would go nuts and get everyone around laughing like drunk hyenas. The nose would stay centered and the tail would spin round and round, like a maple seed. It turns out the real one was a horses-ass as well! Really, I admit the crashes WERE hysterical. I may put Shemp Howard in the cockpit. I was also wondering what the purpose of the fences on the wings was all about. It turns out that they were there to keep the airflow from slipping off the wings...which the ailerons could not handle anyway. The controls must have been pretty stiff, and Yeager himself said flying the thing was a very challenging experience. I know this from fooling with the model, it is extremely unhappy at low speeds, and really manic at high speeds, but still more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Bring lots of beer and adult refreshments to the field when you go fly yours.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:00:37 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »

. Here are some pics I took from the Tico Airshow in Titusville last year. This one must have been a trainer version. A guy there said it was not operational, but that nobody would be nuts enough to try flying it anyway.

The Threadkiller!
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 03:48:40 PM »

Crabby

I sent a link to this thread to Don Srull.   Here was his response to me today.

Thanks, Pat. I have to join this forum - these guys know how to have FUN!! They know the magic competition formula - "have the most fun, and help the other guy have even more."
Maybe sharing a few mistakes I made on my MIGs could help. I love those color schemes they have found.
Don

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Pops
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Sweden Sweden

So many plans and planes, so little time...

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 07:41:39 PM »

Crabby

I sent a link to this thread to Don Srull.   Here was his response to me today.

Thanks, Pat. I have to join this forum - these guys know how to have FUN!! They know the magic competition formula - "have the most fun, and help the other guy have even more."
Maybe sharing a few mistakes I made on my MIGs could help. I love those color schemes they have found.
Don

(Now, where's the "Like" button for that post?) Smiley

Brg

Pops
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2016, 08:06:59 PM »

Hey Pops and Pat! Thanks for showing up here now and again... Pat, I am an old Don Srull fan I never met him in person but he reminds me in a way of my Olde Man Millard who was an accomplished Florida watercolorist (RIP), and a damn good balsa butcher as well. I hope he joins the forum! Pops it just gets funner and funner when these old timers chime in! You know, my heroes are guys like George Perryman, Henry Struck, Walt Mooney, Bill Hannan, Ray Malmstrom, Earl Stahl, Florent Baecke, Don Srull, and of course Thee Olde Mann.... Millard Wells my dad!  some guys get baseballs signed by Ted Williams I get my models signed by guys I admire....

The Threadkiller!
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2016, 08:15:50 PM »

Earl was a real gentleman and used to come to Maxecuter contests in central VA and DC for many years.  What a nice man.  And he really designed great models!

Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »

Here  are two models of Migs using Don Srull plans.  The rubber powered on is by Wally Farrell and the ducted fan by Ralph Smalley.  Pretty planes.

Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2016, 02:47:43 PM »

Yeah Pat pretty planes!   I see Wally needed tail ballast...I needed it too...plus I had a adjustable rudder/stab, and found out that having the tail jacked up quite a bit was a necessity! Thanks for the pics! I have a couple models on the bucket list, but someday I might try the electric ducted fan do you recall Ralph's plane's flight characteristics?

The Threadkiller!
Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »

Ralph's plane (and Don's) for electric ducted fan flew fine until they stalled and then went in like lawn darts.  They seem a bit sensitive to a stall.

Pat

Crabby
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »

Well that seems to be the reason for mine acting up. I saw a floater built by Dick Baxter at USIC (Johnson City TN) his made nice docile circles way up there. Mine would do no such thing, but he is Dick Baxter! I finally got steamed up, cranked in a big fat hunk of rubber, then wound up and threw it like a baseball...mostly just to vent off a little aggression, and the thing flew like a summer sparrow. It flew at a scale Mach 5, and even had a little glide left over. But let it climb at anything like a steep angle and it stalled and turned into a lawn dart. Only redeeming factor was as least it was comical.

The Threadkiller!
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »

I know this isn't Don's Mig 15 but it blows me away that this can be built and fly so well... Japanese Mig15
Sky9pilot

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
tom arnold
Gold Member

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2016, 11:37:09 PM »

What is interesting too is that at the end of the flight, the little Mig looks like it has, not one, but two little stalls with a quick recovery both times. I wonder if the airfoil has something to do with it. This is the only rubber-powered ducted fan Mig that actually climbs and flys I have ever seen. There is another video on Youtube that shows an attempt with the same design:        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCmsfRtm6EI      but all he gets is a powered glide. This is a tough act to follow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: