Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 26, 2019, 07:42:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sorta Senator Bostonian - a Mike Stuart design.  (Read 2625 times)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »

Hi Ray,

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly where the CG ended up ... only that I seem to remember that it was a little behind the half chord mark. Each model will be different slightly so I would recommend substituting the prop with some weight and doing some test glides. Mark where the CG was for the best glide then take the weight off and put the prop back. Then add weight as appropriate to get the CG back where you marked it. Hope this makes sense?

I usually start trimming a Bostonian with a 900mm long strand of 1/8" rubber made up into a 450mm loop. Working up to around 600 turns will start to show if you need a thinner motor ... as I remember, my Sorta Senator was best indoors on something like a 110 thou motor.
Ray
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »

Thanks for the reply Russ!
This is my first indoor. A local club host's an indoor contest this time of year and I wanted to get in on the action so thanks for the information.
I'm thinking I can cover the fuselage and wing with Esaki and thinly dope, but I'm not sure the best method for the stabaliser as is seems very delicate (more so than the rest of the model). Any technique you could recommend?
Also, can you give any details on the prop hub? I want to go ahead with your 'yogurt cup' prop but I'm not sure of the prop shaft/hub assy .

Thanks again!
Ray
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »

Ray,

For delicate areas I pre-shrink the tissue with water on an old picture frame ... then used thinned dope (30 to 50% dope) (... EDIT doped after the tissue has been applied and water shrunk again.)
I did have trouble with the stab ... it did 'pringle', but I think I skipped the pre-shrinking. I added an extra spar to the stab in the end.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:03:15 PM by FFmodeller » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: