Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 07, 2020, 03:07:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FAI Power model kits-1950s--1970s  (Read 923 times)
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »

Once again I'm asking for the community's help with my paper on the history of FAI Power/F1C for the 2016 NFFS Sympo.

I've been trying to think of model kits that were specifically designed for FAI Power. The only one that I can come up with was Goldberg's FAI Viking. (I don't remember seeing one flown in FAI; please let me know if you saw one fly at FAI weights.)

There were a lot of magazine plans from that period, but none seem to have been kitted.

Were there any kits in GB or elsewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Louis Joyner

Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »

Well, kind of, sort of...

Sal Taibi once told me that the Starduster 600 could have flown in FAI Power. But as far as I know, no one ever did.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
duration
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »

Starduster:

I actually flew a 1/2 Zeek, with wing and stab cut down and a longer fuselage in junior FAI Power at the 1961 Nats, put floats on it for ROW--got two third places.  Still have the model.

Louis
Brian J Y
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:32:01 PM »

Hi Louis,

Barry Wheeler's 1952 World Championship winning model, the Eliminator, was kitted by Chuck Doughty. The kit was reviewed in the May 1953 Aeromodeller.

Brian
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:44:38 PM »

I believe Paul Andrade set a national record with an FAI Viking around 1970
hastf1b
Gold Member

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »

Some German and a Swedish kit model. The picture shows Lothar Piesk at the world campion ship 1958 in Cranfield.

Heinz
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: FAI Power model kits-1950s--1970s

F1B is o.k.
duration
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »

Thanks to all.

It is interesting that two of the kits (Wheeler's Eliminator & Piesk's Atlas) were 1.5cc models.  I remember the Atlantis being featured in Model Airplane News   around 1959-60.  I assume that was the same as the Atlas. They both had the coweled engine and distinctive rudder---very attractive design.

Glad to hear that Paul had good luck with the Viking. I don't remember seeing the 15 size one fly back then, only the 1/2A version.  The consensus in our club was that the Blazer was the better design (lots of pylon vs hi-thrust arguments back then).

Louis
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:57:30 PM »

Hi Louis,

Was Carl Wheeley's Senator kitted by Berkeley?

Norm Furutani
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 12:48:09 AM »

Amazon by Stan Hill. See: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SFRYeYoVqHw/Ss_ePPJehFI/AAAAAAAAD7Y/5x3Wai6L5pI/s1600/amazon-400-kit.jpg

Norm
Big G
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 05:05:08 AM »

I'd have thought that even by the late 1950's and early 1960's FAI Power models were getting too complicated to kit, and would have had a very limited appeal anyway.
The only kit power model to really have an impact on contest-flying, at least in the UK, was the Yeoman "Dixielander", built in its hundreds if not thousands, but this was for Open (and later Slow Open) Power, which attracted a much larger entry than FAI. The "Dixielander" was dead simple, and if you couldn't get one of them to fly then FF Power was not for you.

I do have an extremely faint memory of an FAI power model being kitted somewhere in Eastern Europe [possibly the "Taltos" by Frigyes?]. Can't confirm this, though.

A long-gone pal of mine built an "Atlas", He built it because it 'looked nice', didn't make a very good job of it, and I don't think it survived trimming. If memory serves, I believe that model was also published as a plan in Aeromodeller.

G
duration
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »

Hi Norm:

Thanks. I'd completely forgotten about the Amazon---but then it was a Berkeley kit, the few Berkeley kits my dad had in his hobby shop never sold well. I rememberer the Hank Struck Wakefield kit occupied shelf space from the early 1950s until he closed in the late 1970s. I think I was the only one that even opened the box. My dad considered a design being kitted by Berkeley the kiss of death.  Their version of the Ramrod 250 bore little resemblance, construction-wise, to the original. The biggest problem was the flat-bottom stab--the bent-balsa upper ribs on the original produced a bit of Philips entry.

I'll check through what few old magazines I have regarding the Senator.

Louis

PS Sorry I didn't make it out to Lost Hills---perhaps next year.
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »

My dad considered a design being kitted by Berkeley the kiss of death.

Smiley
I remember the first shop I bought balsa from, 1958 onwards. They had a Berkeley kit for a flying boat and it was still there when I retuned many years later. The white box just a bit greyer.
But still, at that time I would have loved to have and build it. The same as the Atlas from Piesk, kitted by Graupner. But much to expensive these days.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Ployd
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:39:31 PM »

I've been trying to think of model kits that were specifically designed for FAI Power. The only one that I can come up with was Goldberg's FAI Viking. (I don't remember seeing one flown in FAI; please let me know if you saw one fly at FAI weights.)
I was only a junior then but saw Doug Murray from West Australia win FAI power at the 1962-63 Aust Nationals with a kit Viking to FAI weight. From memory it's the only time a Hi-thrust model has won FAI power at an OZ Nats.

Ployd in OZ

"So I collect engines, what's your problem?"
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »

Here's one I forgot about the Midi- Pearl was flown as a FAI model as was the 450 Satallite
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: